Oversized Vehicle on Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
My Aunt and Uncle asked me to check on prices on the Auto Train going south in December. In checking prices on certain days I noticed the price of Oversized Vehicles was LESS than Standard vehicles on those certain dates. I know pricing is based on availability but was wondering what would prevent a person from reserving a Oversized Vehicle spot and then load a standard vehicle. For the dates I was considering it would save almost $70.

Has anyone ever encountered this before or had any experience?

Thanks!

I've never seen that before, but again it's probably due to bucket pricing. They've just sold more car spots than oversized spots.

Of course they really should just eliminate the two different tiers, since it no longer matters. The old carriers had limited space for oversized vehicles, which is why they assigned a seperate system, coupled with the cost of moving the extra weight. But the new carriers don't care, you roll an SUV in right after a car, followed by yet another car.

No clue as to what would happen if you showed up with the wrong vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is a moot point as my Aunt and Uncle have decided to drive to FL (1100 miles and two nights) instead of taking the train. Their reason is cost which I really don't understand. I found a price of $318 (with AAA discount and coach seats) for two adults and car. They cannot drive for less but it is their choice, of course!

We (wife and I) are heading to FL on the Auto Train on Decemebr 10th. We booked a bedroom!

Alan, the one thing that I'll say is that I don't think Amtrak is anxious to give up the revenue associated with Oversized vehicles. Granted they could go to one standard bucket system, but it would raise prices for those driving smaller cars, and lower prices for oversize vehicle owners. Amtrak has come to rely on the funds generated by selling oversize vehicle slots. To most people it makes sense to pay more for a bigger vehicle, so they're ok with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes, that is true. But it can also go the other way for Amtrak, by discouraging a family from traveling, because the fee to move the SUV is the one that breaks the bank as it were.

So now they could have lost 4 rail fares simply because they wanted an extra $40 for the SUV.

Alan, the one thing that I'll say is that I don't think Amtrak is anxious to give up the revenue associated with Oversized vehicles. Granted they could go to one standard bucket system, but it would raise prices for those driving smaller cars, and lower prices for oversize vehicle owners. Amtrak has come to rely on the funds generated by selling oversize vehicle slots. To most people it makes sense to pay more for a bigger vehicle, so they're ok with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes, that is true. But it can also go the other way for Amtrak, by discouraging a family from traveling, because the fee to move the SUV is the one that breaks the bank as it were.
So now they could have lost 4 rail fares simply because they wanted an extra $40 for the SUV.
I booked a trip on the Auto Train a few weeks ago at rates presumably at the lowest bucket. My decision was either to take my SUV at the vehicle charge of $169 or take my regular vehicle at $152. I decided to spend the additional $17 and take my SUV. On the otherhand, if I had waited to book today, the rate for the SUV at $257 is $59 higher than the regular vehicle charge of $198. My decision then would to travel with the regular vehicle. Amtrak would still have my business but would not be $59 richer.

The point I am trying make is there are passengers that draw the line on how much they are willing to spend on the vehicle charge when traveling on the Auto Train. My example coupled with Alan's example is certainly a negative one in regard to the two tier pricing system.

The same could be said for a sleeper vs. coach or business class vs. coach. Everything in a business where pricing is involved is a calculated risk that involves forecasting, analysis, and some luck. You're not going to win every piece of business, but so long as you're making ends meet (in Amtrak's case as best as you can) that's all anyone can ask.

I guess it is a moot point as my Aunt and Uncle have decided to drive to FL (1100 miles and two nights) instead of taking the train. Their reason is cost which I really don't understand. I found a price of $318 (with AAA discount and coach seats) for two adults and car. They cannot drive for less but it is their choice, of course!
We (wife and I) are heading to FL on the Auto Train on Decemebr 10th. We booked a bedroom!
For what it is worth my aunt and uncle have seen the wisdom of taking the Auto Train instead of driving. There will be leaving Lorton on 12/20 in coach. The price was $525 but this was the best date for them. I made the reservations for them and on this date the car prices are "normal".

We are happy that they chose this option as we were concerned about them driving 1200 miles. It is such a great option for older people who find driving difficult for whatever reason.

Does anyone think there will ever be an Auto Train from the midwest to FL?

There was once, it failed. I wouldn't expect to see it, the Northeast -> FL route is something of an anomaly, with large numbers of rich, older people making the trek south for extended visits.

There was once, it failed. I wouldn't expect to see it, the Northeast -> FL route is something of an anomaly, with large numbers of rich, older people making the trek south for extended visits.
That is a part of it, but the demographic that makes it unique is the large population from New England thru the Mid Atlantic on the north and the concentrated Florida peninsula on the south. Tie those together with a less than thrilling 750 mile drive on I-95 and you have a combination unmatched anywhere else.

I booked a trip on the Auto Train a few weeks ago at rates presumably at the lowest bucket. My decision was either to take my SUV at the vehicle charge of $169 or take my regular vehicle at $152. I decided to spend the additional $17 and take my SUV. On the otherhand, if I had waited to book today, the rate for the SUV at $257 is $59 higher than the regular vehicle charge of $198. My decision then would to travel with the regular vehicle. Amtrak would still have my business but would not be $59 richer.
The point I am trying make is there are passengers that draw the line on how much they are willing to spend on the vehicle charge when traveling on the Auto Train. My example coupled with Alan's example is certainly a negative one in regard to the two tier pricing system.
The same could be said for a sleeper vs. coach or business class vs. coach. Everything in a business where pricing is involved is a calculated risk that involves forecasting, analysis, and some luck. You're not going to win every piece of business, but so long as you're making ends meet (in Amtrak's case as best as you can) that's all anyone can ask.
When you pay higher prices for the examples you have shown there is a service enhancement involved. This certainly justifies an additional charge. In the case of paying extra for an oversized vehicle there is no such enhancement. I just completed my roundtrip on the Auto Train and witnessed the loading and unloading of vehicles. As Alan pointed out previously, SUV's and regular autos are loaded in the same carrier car. I saw no additional services performed with the loading/unloading of my SUV compared to a regular size auto. The additional fee associated to the SUV is an antiquated one and should be eliminated in my opinion.

When you pay higher prices for the examples you have shown there is a service enhancement involved. This certainly justifies an additional charge. In the case of paying extra for an oversized vehicle there is no such enhancement. I just completed my roundtrip on the Auto Train and witnessed the loading and unloading of vehicles. As Alan pointed out previously, SUV's and regular autos are loaded in the same carrier car. I saw no additional services performed with the loading/unloading of my SUV compared to a regular size auto. The additional fee associated to the SUV is an antiquated one and should be eliminated in my opinion.
Let me play Devil's Advocate here. The alternative to taking the auto train is driving the distance. Larger vehicles are less efficient. Therefore, it costs more to drive an SUV from Lorton to Flordia than a regular car. It would make sense that the SUV owner would be willing to pay more, because the cost of their alternative is greater. Regardless of the historical reasons for the price difference, I think it makes sense from a business perspective.

If you book far enough in advance you should be able to take the Autotrain with a bedroom & bath to Sanford and back for around $1200. We usually end up taking the train one way but last December we took it round trip. It can be difficult sleeping on the Autotrain as that stretch of trackage is pretty rough and at speed of 70 MPH you really feel those bumps. We never took coach but heard its harder there to get a nights rest. A coach passenger told me that you have some people up there who feel that its OK to tell jokes, laugh, talk loud and even talk on their cell phone at 2 AM!!! Please tell your aunt and Uncle to upgrade to at least a roomette when they get there. Roomettes are a little tight and the Superliner versions don't have a toilet in the room but you do have privacy during the day and a bed to sleep in at night.

If you book far enough in advance you should be able to take the Autotrain with a bedroom & bath to Sanford and back for around $1200. We usually end up taking the train one way but last December we took it round trip. It can be difficult sleeping on the Autotrain as that stretch of trackage is pretty rough and at speed of 70 MPH you really feel those bumps. We never took coach but heard its harder there to get a nights rest. A coach passenger told me that you have some people up there who feel that its OK to tell jokes, laugh, talk loud and even talk on their cell phone at 2 AM!!! Please tell your aunt and Uncle to upgrade to at least a roomette when they get there. Roomettes are a little tight and the Superliner versions don't have a toilet in the room but you do have privacy during the day and a bed to sleep in at night.
Thanks for the suggestions and I'll pass it on to my aunt and uncle. They have taken coach previously and they didn't seem to mind or perhaps had a "quiet" car during the night. Even if they can't sleep too well it will still be better for them than driving!

My wife and have decided many years ago that coach doesn't work for us and now use a roomette or bedroom (if we book early enough it is usually a bedroom) on our trips to FL and back.

Thanks again!

Let me play Devil's Advocate here. The alternative to taking the auto train is driving the distance. Larger vehicles are less efficient. Therefore, it costs more to drive an SUV from Lorton to Flordia than a regular car. It would make sense that the SUV owner would be willing to pay more, because the cost of their alternative is greater. Regardless of the historical reasons for the price difference, I think it makes sense from a business perspective.
Actually, at least for me, there is another alternative. In lieu of paying the additional fee for bringing my oversized vehicle, I can bring my standard size auto and attach my luggage carrier to it. I will still be able to bring the same amount of luggage and gear as an end result.

Maybe it is me but I can't in good conscience pay a considerable higher fee for a service that does not provide any additional input by the provider.

I traveled coach in mid November to Sanford. There was indeed plenty of loud talking passengers. Cell phone use was prevalent and the majority of the conversations that we had no choice in hearing were meaningless. It was reminiscent of my travels on the Long Island Railroad. Designating one of the coach cars as a Quiet Car certainly is a good idea. I would think that there would be enough passengers wanting to stay in a Quiet Car to justify its existence.

Actually, at least for me, there is another alternative. In lieu of paying the additional fee for bringing my oversized vehicle, I can bring my standard size auto and attach my luggage carrier to it. I will still be able to bring the same amount of luggage and gear as an end result.

Maybe it is me but I can't in good conscience pay a considerable higher fee for a service that does not provide any additional input by the provider.
No, you can't do that. The Auto Train does not allow luggage racks on the roof of the car, unless it is permanently attached. And even then with a permanent one, no luggage can be left on top of the car.

No, you can't do that. The Auto Train does not allow luggage racks on the roof of the car, unless it is permanently attached. And even then with a permanent one, no luggage can be left on top of the car.
Luggage carriers were seen on several autos on our trips of November 12 and 26. I would not think these autos would be allowed access on the auto carriers if the rules as you indicate were in place.

Luggage carriers were seen on several autos on our trips of November 12 and 26. I would not think these autos would be allowed access on the auto carriers if the rules as you indicate were in place.
Here are the rules direct from Amtrak.com:

Can I Put My Bicycle or Luggage on Racks?
We cannot carry vehicles with temporary luggage racks or bicycle racks, or with luggage or bicycles attached to the roof. However, bicycles in bicycle racks may be attached to the back of the vehicle only. You must sign a loss or damage waiver for bicycles transported on the back of the vehicle. Bicycles cannot be brought onboard.

All luggage carriers must be removed and stored inside the vehicle before it may be boarded on the Auto Train. Factory-installed racks are permitted, but must remain empty during the trip.
If you saw a car with luggage on the roof, then it was in violation of the rules and either someone wasn't paying attention or Amtrak granted an exception.

Here are the rules direct from Amtrak.com:

Can I Put My Bicycle or Luggage on Racks?
We cannot carry vehicles with temporary luggage racks or bicycle racks, or with luggage or bicycles attached to the roof. However, bicycles in bicycle racks may be attached to the back of the vehicle only. You must sign a loss or damage waiver for bicycles transported on the back of the vehicle. Bicycles cannot be brought onboard.

All luggage carriers must be removed and stored inside the vehicle before it may be boarded on the Auto Train. Factory-installed racks are permitted, but must remain empty during the trip.
If you saw a car with luggage on the roof, then it was in violation of the rules and either someone wasn't paying attention or Amtrak granted an exception.
The rules on the Amtrak.com website are different than the rules shown on the Auto Train booklet that is issued to passengers when they check in at the gate. In paragraph 2 of the Vehicle Requirement section it states: "We can carry vehicles with luggage packed on roof in factory-installed racks and bicycles on racks attached to the rear of vehicles, provided they are within height limitations. Passenger will be required to sign a waiver for release of liability for these items."

Considering that I witnessed cars with luggage on the roof and others with luggage carriers the information on the website is out dated. This would not be the first time that information on the Amtrak website is erroneous. I saw what I saw and have to speculate that the rules have changed since you last took the Auto Train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back