P42Cs on the Piedmonts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACVitale

Service Attendant
Somewhere between Florida and the Carolinas
Noticed on todays 75 and 76 that a loaner Amtrak P42 was replacing the NC DOT P59s.

Asked the conductor about it. Apparently, a bit of a shortage in equipment is affecting 73 74 75 76.

One unknown engine type damaged in collision with low boy truck (see article http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-photo-truck-on-train-tracks-100514,0,1818976.story ) Also damaged 1 car due to fire and 2 others due to derailment.

One P59 damaged in a collision with a fuel tanker truck earlier in the year. (Damaged due to fire/derailment.)

One P59 has electical problems with it removed from service and being overhauled/repaired (This is apparently recent)

One P59 was removed from service for scheduled maint. (Also recent)

The additional P59s ordered (used) are not yet in service and will be rebuilt/overhauled and then put in service with the comment the group that overhauled the last ones will NOT get the contract due to many issues with the overhauled units.

I was surprised to see the P42 Genesis units as I thought they were tight on the Amtrak system as it is. I know the 2 from the Sidel, La accident are still sitting on the ground.

NCDOTs fleet is made up of 2 F59PHIs which were bought new, and a F59PH which was bought used from GO Transit (there may be two). Amtrak has plenty of motors running around the system, especially since there are more and more P40s being released from Beech Grove as part of the TARP monies. Amtrak will do what it takes to make sure the service keeps running, although they are probably charging NCDOT for the HPH (Horsepower Hours) that they're using with Amtrak locomotives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back