Pacific Northwest Storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief
According to the National Weather Service, a storm system is expected to slam the Northwest with high winds and heavy rainfall. Here is what I got from www.weather.gov (I will only include the relavent one):

A series of strong storm systems will continue to affect the West Coast through Monday,

with the potential for heavy rain and high winds across the Pacific Northwest and northern California.

A frontal system will move inland in the northwestern U.S. today bringing widespread rain.

As this system moves into the interior West on Sunday, snow is expected at the higher elevations of the northern Rockies.

The onslaught of stormy conditions will continue into Monday as onshore flow persists

and another upper-level disturbance moves into the region.
In response to the storm, Amtrak issued a service alert last night for the Northwest, informing that trains traveling to or thru the Northwest region may be canceled altogether or annuled beyond a certain point. Here is how the advisory reads:

Pacific Northwest Storm AdvisoryOCTOBER 14, 2016 7:15 PM PDT

Due to a Pacific Northwest Storm expected to impact Washington, Oregon and parts of Northern California on Saturday, Amtrak passengers are advised to check Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for the latest update on your train's status.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.
Anyone affected by this storm advisory? I would be surprised if there were none affected, as this is a powerful storm.

Could the Empire Builder be run from, say, Spokane to points east? I'm going CHI to FAR very soon!

I am under a High Wind Warning on Orcas Island. This is the land of 100-foot tall trees, and the prospect of 75-mph gusts is scary. I'm going out to do some more preparation after I post this.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE (excerpts)
SAN JUAN COUNTY-WESTERN WHATCOM COUNTY-WESTERN SKAGIT COUNTY-
ADMIRALTY INLET AREA-
1055 AM PDT SAT OCT 15 2016

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
2 AM PDT SUNDAY...

* WIND...SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH 25 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS NEAR 75 MPH
LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. WINDS WILL EASE TO 20 TO
35 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS...OAK HARBOR...PORT TOWNSEND...MOUNT
VERNON...FRIDAY HARBOR...BELLINGHAM...AND POINT ROBERTS.

* TIMING...THE STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR BETWEEN 4 PM
AND 11 PM PDT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on #14 now. We left LA an hour late because the AC was blasting in the trans-dorm. They eventually gave up and just made the crew deal with it. Conductor thinks we will be fine - even with waiting for over an hour for a southbound surfliner south of SLO. Looks like according to even amtrak's site #8 will be leaving no earlier than 3 hours late out of SEA. It's gonna be an interesting weekend! But at least this crew is very nice!

Over here in the Land Where The EB Splits and Joins, the storm so far hasn't been near as bad as advertised. The heavy rain and wind has been more of a gentle rain and a couple of gusts. Nothing unusual so far.

There are cancellations occurring so keep an eye on the website.
Interesting. I wonder why they never specified which trains and Thruway buses were canceled if they put up the advisory. Anyways, that should not concern me, as my next trip is not due for another five weeks. Surely an unusual storm this is (I lived in Oregon for five years, but never saw a storm so massive prior to this one). When trains do get canceled, I expect to see this following quote:

Service suspended between Point A and Point B
which I never saw it between now and last night. I don't expect the storm-related woes will last, because the storm appears to be dying.

Nothing like 2006, thank heavens.

Local informants in Seattle say -- not that bad.

Amtrak likely minimally affected, Cascades also minimal problems

Nothing like 2006, thank heavens.

Local informants in Seattle say -- not that bad.

Amtrak likely minimally affected, Cascades also minimal problems
What was the big deal back in 2006? A bigger weather-related mess, should I assume?
Much bigger. winds up to 100+mph on the coast and mountains, trees down everywhere. a million + homes without power. and 18 deaths.

See wikipedia article for starters. My relatives in east-side suburbs no power for 4 days. The few gas stations with backup power commandeered by emergency services. No way to charge your phone.

I see Amtrak #8(15) is way late, otherwise few problems in Seattle area -Cascades, Sounders seem OK - correct me if that's not true.

And no reports of mudslides so far (hoping)

As for flooding in western Montana, would appreciate any info about how that is affecting the Builder

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people now carry those portable chargers for their phones and other devices. I keep one charged up all the time at home, and carry a charged one with me whenever I travel.

I'm on #11(16) right now (Watsonville)...boarded in Vancouver yesterday no issues. #27 came through VAN 2:44 late (not storm related). Our Astoria port call Saturday got cancelled due to WX. On a river cruise last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back