Pacific Parlour Car Update?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
Now that we are within 2 weeks of the scheduled return of the PPCs, does anyone know what their status is? Did they get overhauled or just receive basic maintenance. Since there were reports of them heading east to Indiana, it sounds like whatever work was planned is being done on the West Coast.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
As best as I can determine, the Parlour cars simply sat at LA with little or nothing done to them.

neroden

Engineer
LA isn't Beech Grove or Chicago. If they were sitting *at LA* specifically, I expect that LA did basic preventative maintenance on them. (This can be completely nonobvious to the outside observer. If PRR60 works at LA shops, then I take it back.)

Last edited by a moderator:

leemell

Conductor
LA isn't Beech Grove or Chicago. If they were sitting *at LA* specifically, I expect that LA did basic preventative maintenance on them. (This can be completely nonobvious to the outside observer. If PRR60 works at LA shops, then I take it back.)
On a slightly different area, saw the CS yesterday and it was only sleepers, coaches and one SSL.

TinCan782

Engineer
AU Supporter
On a slightly different area, saw the CS yesterday and it was only sleepers, coaches and one SSL.
That's because the PPC's will not be back in service until March 12 per Amtrak's Service Advisory. If that date is still accurate is the basis for the original post.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251627188281

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Okay, then, how about Yippee! :)

A Facebook poster says there are at least two PPCs back in service now.

SarahZ

Engineer
I'll be on the CS next week. Fingers crossed for a PPC. I'd love to see one in person.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Fantastic! I'll be on #14 on the 17th. Looking forward to my swivel chair!

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporter
Gathering Team Member
A couple more people have confirmed seeing the PPC on 14, but no one I've heard from have actually ridden it yet.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Alice and I stopped by at the Kelso WA depot this morning, just in time to watch 11 go by. It had a PPC.

Devil's Advocate

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
That can't be possible. This was part of a nefarious plot by Amtrak to strip away more amenities in their super top sekrit plot to get rid of the LD trains.
Imagine how silly the people who wondered about the Sunset East look now. Sometimes it's easier to crack wise than to speak actual wisdom.