Pacific Surfliner Luggage Space Under Seat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darlene Levien

Just wondering if there is space underneath the 1st Class seats for our carry-on luggage. Anyone know the dimensions?

Thanks!

Not sure on the exact dimensions, but it's similar to the underseat storage space you'd find under the seat of an airliner.

Also as John mentioned, there is both overhead luggage racks (quite large and can accommodate most "carry-on" sized rollaboard bags and there are stand alone floor-to-cealing luggage tower racks for garment bags and larger bags.

Not sure on the exact dimensions, but it's similar to the underseat storage space you'd find under the seat of an airliner.
I'd say the storage space is much smaller than on an airliner, mainly because each seat has a large base that's in the way. The backpack that I travel with fits well under the seat in front of me on an airliner, but will not fit under a Surfliner seat.

That said, as others have mentioned, there's plenty of other storage space, and there's enough legroom that you might still be comfortable with a bag at your feet (which is what I usually end up doing with the backpack) -- there's never a point when you have to have bags "stowed" as you would on an airplane (but, of course, bags need to stay out of the aisle and other places where other people will be passing through).

After a quick search, this is the best picture I could find to illustrate the situation:

6602435457_4cd107ced2_z.jpg

Having just done the San Joaquin train Emeryville to Fresno I would say the underseat space is very limited and is less than that under an airline seat but would also ask, why do you need it? There is plenty of luggage space elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back