Pacific Surfliner Single-Level Set

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered, but, for the life of me, I cannot find this information.

Does the single-level consist on the Pacific Surfliner route always run on particular train numbers, or does it move through the schedule?

It used to be "fixed" to a particular train (LA to SLO and return) but that is no longer so. It does tend to "wander around" the schedule but I'm not sure to what extent.

As a BTW, after I de-trained from Metrolink in Chatsworth last night, southbound 790 came through and it was that single-level consist with a Cascades "cabbage" in the lead and a P-42 pushing. 790 is a daily San Luis Obispo to San Diego train. Earlier in the day, that same trainset was the northbound #761 Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo.

Unless you can really keep track of such things, its gonna be a crapshoot! Odds are, you will NOT get that trainset. YMMV

Train 583 SAN->LAX runs Amfleet / Horizon every other day. This is the only train that I know for certain of this rotation. I found out from the conductor who works train 583. Not sure if that helps, but I think someone who knows more on the scheduale could come up with a matrix with that info.

The "normal" cycle for this equipment is two days:

Day 1: 761/790

Day 2: 565/572/583

This of course could change at any time.

I was on it coming back home on Mother's Day after having dinner with the family. This consist was an absolute nightmare for the elderly. Really didn't realize how many senior citizens are normally on the train until one gets on the Amfleet / Horizon consist. Not a problem on the Surfliner.

The new bilevels can't come soon enough. Unfortunately the first ones aren't supposed to be delivered until December 2016.

The "normal" cycle for this equipment is two days:

Day 1: 761/790

Day 2: 565/572/583

This of course could change at any time.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information.

Now, all we need is to peg a particular date to a set of runs....

Is this info still good?

I'm looking to take a friend up to SLO and want to handicap our chances of getting the single-level equipment

I think so; you can youtube the latest Surfliner videos to cross-check. The set is currently running around with the Veterans Cabbage unit, afaik.

It's good, but what was left out is there is a two week cycle on this train. Additionally, it does something different on Sat(1) and Sun(1) vs Sat(2) and Sun (2).

If it helps, the single level set seems to be on the 565 cycle now and the other set is on the 565 cycle tomorrow.

It's good, but what was left out is there is a two week cycle on this train. Additionally, it does something different on Sat(1) and Sun(1) vs Sat(2) and Sun (2).
Please explain

The only difference that I see in the schedule is that 790/761 are replaced on weekends by 1790/1761, which just run at different times due to not having to deal with Metrolink trains

The set does different runs each weekend is what is meant.

That's not even what you said previously.

The run patterns are different on any two days of the same name on adjacent weeks because there's an odd number of days in a week.

To be clear, it's not a two week cycle, but a two day cycle. The trainset simply alternates between the two run patterns without reference to the day of the week (or month or year, for that matter).

And for the record, the Amfleet set appears to have made the run to SLO on odd days last month and even days this month. So it'll be back on odds for April and May 2016.

The run patterns are different on any two days of the same name on adjacent weeks because there's an odd number of days in a week.

To be clear, it's not a two week cycle, but a two day cycle. The trainset simply alternates between the two run patterns without reference to the day of the week (or month or year, for that matter).
first, that was my only post on this topic, and second, if the set were to do the same runs every week, then one day would have to see it used on the southern portion of the route for two round trips in a single day, causing a reduction in capacity.

first, that was my only post on this topic, and second, if the set were to do the same runs every week, then one day would have to see it used on the southern portion of the route for two round trips in a single day, causing a reduction in capacity.
First, I appologize. That was my mistake.

Second, you are asserting your opinion on capacity as reason why the train can't run how it actually does. Basically, you're saying that your opinion trumps reality.

Do you happen to be a Republican? ;)

Thank you for admitting that you have erroneously stated that I had contradicted myself. Now it is time to determine the actual reasoning if I am in error, as I would love to have better information about this topic for future reference. And third, I am an independent that grew up in a very conservative state that has had two democratic governors in a row, so please don't bring politics into this thread even in jest, as the emoticon indicates.

CCC1007,

Despite what SECH states, this situation is referred to as a two week cycle.

An example is train set one works a particular round trip on Mon of the first week (which is the first day of the cycle). The second day, it becomes a different couplet. It goes on that way through out the week, but by the Monday of two week, it is not in the couplet cycle of the previous Monday. This begins the second week of cycling until it completes the cycle for that week. At the beginning of the third week, it is back on the cycle of first week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what SECH states, this situation is referred to as a two week cycle.

An example is train set one works a particular round trip on Mon of the first week (which is the first day of the cycle). The second day, it becomes a different couplet. It goes on that way through out the week, but by the Monday of two week, it is not in the couplet cycle of the previous Monday. This begins the second week of cycling until it completes the cycle for that week. At the beginning of the third week, it is back on the cycle of first week.
Once again, this is an artifact of weeks having an odd number of days. The cycle isn't seven days or even fourteen days long; it's two. There's not fourteen different schedules, just two.

For those of you who are a little more visual, the cycle isn't A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N, it's A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B. The train set just tick-tocks between the two without any reference to the day of the week month or year.

Now it is time to determine the actual reasoning if I am in error, as I would love to have better information about this topic for future reference.
The train actually runs as described. That's an observable fact, and you can't argue it to be false. You might as well argue that the sky can't be blue because that would make flowers the wrong color.

And, as previous stated earlier in the thread, the single level set makes two round trips between LAX and SAN. On day one it runs SLO-LAX-SAN, and on day two runs SAN-LAX-SAN-LAX.

Now it is time to determine the actual reasoning if I am in error, as I would love to have better information about this topic for future reference.
The train actually runs as described. That's an observable fact, and you can't argue it to be false. You might as well argue that the sky can't be blue because that would make flowers the wrong color.
And, as previous stated earlier in the thread, the single level set makes two round trips between LAX and SAN. On day one it runs SLO-LAX-SAN, and on day two runs SAN-LAX-SAN-LAX.
I feel that this is a conversation that has run its course, so enjoy dragging up a thread that should be left alone. This will probably be my last response to you, so goodbye and have a wonderful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back