Pacific Surfliners up over 35%!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Dee

Lead Service Attendant
According to Amtrak California's website, the ridership on the Pacific Surfliners is up over 35% (March, 2003 vs. March, 2002). I am not sure how much of this increase is due to the Rail-2-Rail program that exists between Amtrak and Metrolink.

Nevertheless, this is a tremendous increase in ridership.

With California's economy and state budget in the tank, this is very good news.

Allen,

It's not just the Surfliners that are up, although it's only 29.2% not 35%, all of Amtrak California is having a banner year so far. The Capitol Corridor is up 6.3%, while the San Jouquins are up 12.7%.

You can read Amtrak's press releases on the three services at the links below.

Surfliners.

San Jouquins.

Capitol Corridor.

& the San Joaquin trains each received an additional coach recently due to the high demand, so now they run with four coaches and the cafe/diner. Now they will be able to meet the increased demand.

I am a frequent user of the Pacific Surfliner, which is a great service. It is frequent, reliable, and a faster way to go up and down the Southern California coast than any of the alternatives. I am not surprised with its increased popularity.

AlanB said:
Allen,
It's not just the Surfliners that are up, although it's only 29.2% not 35%, all of Amtrak California is having a banner year so far. The Capitol Corridor is up 6.3%, while the San Jouquins are up 12.7%.

You can read Amtrak's press releases on the three services at the links below.

Surfliners.

San Jouquins.

Capitol Corridor.
35+% is for the month of March only. The 29% increase is for the entire quarter, this according to Amtrak California's website, not the national one.

Allen Dee said:
35+% is for the month of March only. The 29% increase is for the entire quarter, this according to Amtrak California's website, not the national one.
Oops, sorry! :( I looked right past that (March, 2003 vs. March, 2002) date in your first post.

Regardless Amtrak California is still having a banner year. :)

I've said this before, but if the rest of the states supported Amtrak the way California does, Amtrak would be in a lot better shape. Congress and the Bush Administration would not be as threatening.

We did it right in California. The proof is in the increased ridership figures. It's up to the rest of you in the other states to push your state legislators to follow suit.

Yes, I agree. The other states should follow our role model. If the Capitol Corridor extended an evening Bay Area train to Reno/Sparks returning (reliably - not like late #5) early the next morning, they would see some impressive ridership gains from this. Too bad this is not scheduled to occur in their service plan until 2007/2008 - the market is here and now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back