Palmetto Business Class: Missing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
The "upgrade" button isn't showing up for the week of March 16-20 on the Palmetto (I'm checking southbound, planning a trip). It shows up the week before, and the week after.

I initially assumed it was just sold out . . . but I recall in the past it has simply said "other accomodations sold out." I wonder if they are taking it off for maintenance?

Anyone have the scoop?

JPS

when it doesn't have the upgrade options button the upgrade is sold out. amtrak uses the half cafe, have bc on the palmetto. the eastbound pennsylvaniain will become the next days palmetto. when the train arrives in sunneyside they tack on a baggage car and a hhp or aem-7. so bc is limited to a small amount of seats with that half cafe half bc. but check in everyday until the number of bc seats pops up. people cancel alot, or you can ask the conductor if you can upgrade.

when it doesn't have the upgrade options button the upgrade is sold out. amtrak uses the half cafe, have bc on the palmetto. the eastbound pennsylvaniain will become the next days palmetto. when the train arrives in sunneyside they tack on a baggage car and a hhp or aem-7. so bc is limited to a small amount of seats with that half cafe half bc. but check in everyday until the number of bc seats pops up. people cancel alot, or you can ask the conductor if you can upgrade.
Actually, none of these are the case. I noticed it was blanked out between Richmond and Rocky Mount, only, but couldn't figure out why. Turns out, there is no train between those stations that day . . . that's right, a BUS BRIDGE! Yay! The Carolinian, meanwhile, has totally vanished off the system . . . looks like they don't even get that.

Amtrak didn't make this public until today (I haven't gotten "the call," yet).

My first attempt at a vacation involving this line ended up being cancelled due to FRA sidelined cars.

My next attempt was cancelled due to CSX trackwork.

This one isn't cancelled (though the night is young), but will get me to Charleston two hours later than scheduled, if on time, due to the bus bridge.

What is it they say about the definition of insanity? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, what IS it about this line that results in all these trackwork cancellations? You could say "CSX," but I can't remember the Capitol Limited EVER getting trackwork cancellations Washington-Pittsburgh (and I keep pretty good track of that train). The Lakeshore? I don't recall anything there, either (though everything else has gone wrong).

Thanks for letting me vent.

JPS

Seriously, though, what IS it about this line that results in all these trackwork cancellations? You could say "CSX," but I can't remember the Capitol Limited EVER getting trackwork cancellations Washington-Pittsburgh (and I keep pretty good track of that train). The Lakeshore? I don't recall anything there, either (though everything else has gone wrong).
I could be wrong here, but I believe that the issue is the number of tracks. I know for sure that the LSL runs entirely on a two track mainline on CSX, and I think that much, if not most of the Capitol's run is also on a two track main. Unfortunately significant portions of the run to Florida is on single track road. Therefore track work often results in out right cancellations, instead of delays like the LSL and Cap would see.

A good point, Alan. I didn't realize just how much of that line was single track. We need better infrastructure in this country, and we need it yesterday.

I wonder when they're planning on telling anyone (including the State of North Carolina) that the very popular Carolinian is canceled for most of a month? Or were they just hoping no one would notice? :rolleyes:

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the issue is the number of tracks. I know for sure that the LSL runs entirely on a two track mainline on CSX, and I think that much, if not most of the Capitol's run is also on a two track main. Unfortunately significant portions of the run to Florida is on single track road. Therefore track work often results in out right cancellations, instead of delays like the LSL and Cap would see.
And when the enter into NS territory, many parts have nice big holes-- or in the Penny's run, parts have three mains! That is why IMHO the Penny's OTP is just awesome... 3 mains between Altoona and Harrisburg. (For the most part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back