Palmetto Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
Rail-gurus:

A Baltimore-Charleston, SC trip on Amtrak's Palmetto is under consideration. What does "business class" offer over coach for this train? Yes, I know about the complimentary drink, but is the seating itself, different?

Thanks in Advance!

JPS

Last edited by a moderator:
BC on the Palmetto is a 2-1 faux leather seating arrangement in the front half of the first coach just behind the baggage car. The other half of the coach is the cafe car. There is a privacy curtain between the cafe and BC. A limited amount of beverages (their limit, not yours) and a newspaper is included in the fare.

Rail-gurus:
A Baltimore-Charleston, SC trip on Amtrak's Palmetto is under consideration. What does "business class" offer over coach for this train? Yes, I know about the complimentary drink, but is the seating itself, different?

Thanks in Advance!

JPS
This is the exact question I came here to ask! I'm scheduled on the Palmetto (TRE - FLO) in about two weeks and wanted to know about Business class and if it's worth it. My tix are STILL at the lowest bucket...anyone know how full this train has been in the last month or so?

Rail-gurus:

Thanks in Advance!

JPS
This is the exact question I came here to ask! I'm scheduled on the Palmetto (TRE - FLO) in about two weeks and wanted to know about Business class and if it's worth it. My tix are STILL at the lowest bucket...anyone know how full this train has been in the last month or so?
Looks like for your trip, it'd cost about $41. I think that for a 10 hour trip, $41 would be worth it. Just don't count on $41 worth of soda.......

BC on the Palmetto is a 2-1 faux leather seating arrangement in the front half of the first coach just behind the baggage car. The other half of the coach is the cafe car. There is a privacy curtain between the cafe and BC. A limited amount of beverages (their limit, not yours) and a newspaper is included in the fare.
Would you say the seats are significantly more (or less) comfortable than the coaches? Are the regular coaches generally Amfleet II (quite comfortable) or I (not so much)?

Thanks!

Would you say the seats are significantly more (or less) comfortable than the coaches? Are the regular coaches generally Amfleet II (quite comfortable) or I (not so much)?

Thanks!
Besides the Amfleet I cafe/business class car, the Palmetto uses all Amfleet II coaches. (After all, NYP-SAV would be a LONG way to go in an Amfleet I). The faux leather seats in B/C are a bit more comfy than the LD coach seats, but the $41 extra fare just might not be worth it unless you're just really curious to see what it's like. If that's the case, it might work out better to just upgrade onboard for a portion of the trip because there's nothing uncomfortable about an Amcan II coach seat.

These seats are the La-z-boy style, with the leg rest that folds out from under, as you recline back. Very comfortable! :D

The room temp "warm" 1/2 can of soda isn't all that great of a perk. Sorry, but that really irks me, given they have full size of refrigerated "cold" soda they sell to coach.

..., but the $41 extra fare just might not be worth it unless you're just really curious to see what it's like. If that's the case, it might work out better to just upgrade onboard for a portion of the trip because there's nothing uncomfortable about an Amcan II coach seat.
This might be just good luck or chance, but when I did it, I was able to pay $41 over the lowest bucket coach, which at the time, was only around $10 over the then-currently-available higher bucket coach.

Thanks!
Besides the Amfleet I cafe/business class car, the Palmetto uses all Amfleet II coaches. (After all, NYP-SAV would be a LONG way to go in an Amfleet I). The faux leather seats in B/C are a bit more comfy than the LD coach seats, but the $41 extra fare just might not be worth it unless you're just really curious to see what it's like. If that's the case, it might work out better to just upgrade onboard for a portion of the trip because there's nothing uncomfortable about an Amcan II coach seat.
Well I just did 6+ hours in an Amfleet II seat going from Tampa to Miami this summer. Last summer I did 13+ hours in one of those faux leather seats riding the Maple Leaf from Toronto to NYP. I can't imagine having spent 13+ hours in an AMF II seat.

So I would definately be paying $41 for the greater comfort of BC on the Palmetto were I riding it, IMHO.

Business Class travelers tend to be quieter and more relaxed than the folks traveling in coach. A longer trip where Business Class is available is worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the information.

My other question - I know there has been construction on this line and it is expected to end Oct. 2nd. Anyone know if this is scheduled to be completed on schedule? I'm set to travel Oct 4th..which I figure will be fine since 89 has been running on the weekend. I'm worried about my return trip on a weekday being in jeopardy.

Thanks!

Thanks for the information.
My other question - I know there has been construction on this line and it is expected to end Oct. 2nd. Anyone know if this is scheduled to be completed on schedule? I'm set to travel Oct 4th..which I figure will be fine since 89 has been running on the weekend. I'm worried about my return trip on a weekday being in jeopardy.

Thanks!
There's still some trackwork going on in October, affecting the northbound Palmetto. Here's a recent news snippet from NARP:

Amtrak northbound Palmetto train 90 will detour between Dillon and Selma due to CSX trackwork, missing the stop in Fayetteville on the following dates: October 6-9, 13-16, 20-23, 27-30, and November 3-6. Passengers to/from Fayetteville will be carried by bus. Train 90 will incur some delay as a result of the detour.
So it looks like you're in the clear for the weekend of October 2.

-Rafi

Unfortunately I'm set to go northbound on 90 on the 8th....and incurring delays doesn't sound promising.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate knowing what I'm in for.

Apparently construction will continue into mid November for 89/90 Palmetto service Mondays thru Thursdays. Upon canceling my reservation for next week and trying to reschedule my trip, they updated their alerts for the Palmetto to discuss delays of approx 1 hour going southbound on 89 and delays of two hours going northbound 90 during the CSX construction project. They are also rerouting north of FLO and made adjustments/bustitutions to Fayetteville and Dillon stops.

I'm now scheduled for the week after they are supposed to complete this...let's hope it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back