Parcel Check at Houston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Mawson

Does Houston Amtrak station have Parcel Check. I need to store a couple of bags for a few hours ahead of taking the Sunset Limited on 14 May at 18.30.

Yep, they'll charge you the standard $4 per bag per day but sometimes if you're in a Sleeper they won't charge you.

BTW- there's not much around the Houston Station, the area is under a freeway and close to downtown but isn't fr recommended for walking around outside the Station property!

There is a very good Burrito Roach Coach that sells great Mexican food in the parking lot beside the Station..

Hi mate...cheers for the speedy reply. My wife and I only plan to drop off bags and then cab it back to DT for a wander around before heading out on the train later.

Had a look on Google Streetview and you're right...looks pretty depressing around the station itself.

It's not all that bad. The Downtown Aquarium (ferris wheel & other attractions with good but $$$ restaurant) is just the other side of the freeway and the Spaghetti Warehouse and/or Birraporetti's are also within walking distance...just be sure you don't get turned around.

Sorry...I'm in the UK...what does getting turned around mean?

By "turned around", I suspect ehbowen means go in one direction believing it is a different direction, for example, veering left instead of right for some reason.

Thanks all...as I just plan to drop off a couple if bags and have a cab waiting outside, hopefully I won't get turned round...being a cynical Brit I assumed it was some form of criminal activity.☺

Downtown Houston was not laid out in your standard "north-south-east-west" grid, so it is possible to become confused and go one way thinking that you are going another. If you print out a map or have a GPS on your phone you should be OK, and if you're using a cab the driver should be quite familiar with the restaurants I mentioned. You might also want to visit one of the downtown parks such as Discovery Green near the Convention Center or Sam Houston Park where a number of restored historic buildings are open for tour during selected days.

ETA: "Historic", of course, is relative...in Houston a one-hundred year old house is ancient; to our British friends it's just getting properly broken in....

Last edited by a moderator:
The area around the station is fine now. They built nice condos or something next door to the station. Also, if you're planning on checking your bags to your final destination, that would be free. Of course you wouldn't have access to checked bags until you got to your final destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back