Parking at Union Station, Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
You guys have such awesome suggestions, that's why I'm asking. I hope you don't think this is a dumb question for a Chicago native.

So we're having trouble finding someone to drive us to the Amtrak station in Chicago. A cab is around $30, so we could do that. Parking at Union Station for 10 days is probably crazy expensive. My sister does have a handicapped tag, but I don't know if that will do a lot of good.

Our other option is to drive the hour to Naperville (First stop from Chicago on the Southwest Chief) where the parking is free.

You guys have any other suggestions to get to Union Station from the north side?

(One person can't walk very far. The other can)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you take the L? The blue line is about two blocks south of Union Station. If that's not too far, that's by far the cheapest option. Metra would be another option, as some trains run out of Union Station and some run out of Ogilvie, which is about two to three blocks.

Other than that, I'm really not sure, since I'm not a Chicago native.

yeah i was about to say depending on where you are in chicago you can take the L quincy (loop trains) which is 3 blocks east from union station or clinton (blue line) which is 2 blocks south from union station

and use your station stop to union station on google maps to figure out your connection and time etc

(not from chicago and used google maps to figure stuff out etc)

Parking at the lots near the big city stations are all expensive. On a 10 day trip that could cost $100 to $250. There is a large lot across from CUS. It costs $20 per day but it often fills up. Except for one day trips we avoid them. We either drive to a stop where the parking is free or inexpensive. . Depending on the distance, METRA, car service or taxi may be an option. If you decide to park at Naperville, I would either go there to see the parking situation first hand or call someone familiar with the parking lot load patterns. At some stations parking can be hard to find.

I doubt if parking at Naperville is free. It's a very busy Metra station and parking is at a premium. Better check first.

I checked Naperville, it parking is free http://www.naperville.il.us/amtrak.aspx, but I will call to double check. Also I will ask them if parking is hard to find. Good point! As long as I can drop my sister off by the tracks, I can go around and park.

My sister can't walk very far. If we had to walk from Metra at the Ogilvie Center on Madison to the Amtrak Station, I don't think my sister could walk it. I guess we could take a cab, maybe that's the best option because the cabs deliver you to Union Station really close to where we need to be, downstairs.

I would guess Naperville has a limited number of free spots for Amtrak passengers and I would go with that option just to avoid the cost and hassle of dealing with the Loop. If you do park at Naperville check in with the Agent in case you have to put a placard in your vehicle.

i also have another suggestion do you have a relative or friend who lives near you maybe they can take you or use a car service/taxi like you said. (do they even have a car service in chicago?)

I checked Naperville, it parking is free http://www.naperville.il.us/amtrak.aspx, but I will call to double check. Also I will ask them if parking is hard to find. Good point! As long as I can drop my sister off by the tracks, I can go around and park.
My sister can't walk very far. If we had to walk from Metra at the Ogilvie Center on Madison to the Amtrak Station, I don't think my sister could walk it. I guess we could take a cab, maybe that's the best option because the cabs deliver you to Union Station really close to where we need to be, downstairs.
I would check to see if there's a route that drops off at Union Station that would work for you. Most don't have free parking, but you could take a taxi there or have someone drop you off there. That would get you closest to Union Station...you'd be right at the gates!

I would check to see if there's a route that drops off at Union Station that would work for you. Most don't have free parking, but you could take a taxi there or have someone drop you off there. That would get you closest to Union Station...you'd be right at the gates!
Jebr, not sure what you mean by route? We do have Metra here that goes a few blocks from Amtrak - Ogilvie Center at 500 W. Madison (I think - my chauffeur memory says that is it.)

And the el goes a few blocks away I think. If we have to we can take a cab to the el, and the el to wherever it stops, the a cab. (You can see I don't take public transportation) ;)

Im waiting for our friend to call us back to see if he can take us :)

Jebr, not sure what you mean by route? We do have Metra here that goes a few blocks from Amtrak - Ogilvie Center at 500 W. Madison (I think - my chauffeur memory says that is it.)

And the el goes a few blocks away I think. If we have to we can take a cab to the el, and the el to wherever it stops, the a cab. (You can see I don't take public transportation) ;)

Im waiting for our friend to call us back to see if he can take us :)
There are different METRA routes available that go throughout the area. For example, UP North goes to Ogilvie, while BNSF goes to Union Station. Here's a map of the downtown stations and which ones go where. If there's one near you that goes to Union Station, take that one!

Thanks Jebr - We actually could take Milwaukee District/North Line, some of the stations are fairly nearby. I can't tell anything about the parking though at most of the stations. Glenview says it only has 4 long term parking spaces!

It would require phoning each station, and wouldn't you know it, a plumbing problem developed in my house. No time for phone calls :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back