Parking in Charlottesville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is taking the Cardinal home to Indiana for the Thanksgiving holiday, and will be parking her vehicle in Charlottesville VA for about 8 or 9 days.

Any recommendations for parking that's somewhat reasonable in cost?

It looks like it could cost her as much in parking as it would in train fare at some advertised locations. If she had to Uber or take a cab from/to the parking lot it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks for any local knowledge that might be out there.

I think parking at the station is about $8/day - not exactly sure but I took a three day trip to WV last month, and I fed 3 days worth into the machine. If you park at the station, be aware that it is a PRE-PAY system. There is a kiosk in the middle of the lot - pay for as many days as you need for the space you have parked in. It's a good idea to leave your receipt face up on your dashboard as well.

For a longer trip, if the cab/uber is cheaper then that's what I would do.

My experience is that station parking is $12/day for cash, $16/day credit card. Last time I used the C-Ville lot was Memorial Day. The local parking garages aren't any better. Maybe someone else knows of other surface parking that would work, but I don't.

When I took the Crescent to New Orleans a couple of months ago, I got a cab to/from the station. Cab fare was $10-12 plus tip. I live four miles from the station and the local bus routes don't work for me.

VDOT does sponsor Park and Ride lots around the state. Some of these lots do allow overnight parking. I used one along I-81 for four days last year when a family member and I went to Nashville for the holidays.

You can check their website. Not sure there is a lot that is a good match for your needs in the Charlottesville area, though.

When we go away for a week or more, we park at my in-laws house in Haddonfield, NJ and take a cab ride to 30th st station in Phila. The ride with the tip is about $50 each way. It comes out way less expensive than parking in the city that can cost up to $175 a week. Point is that most of the lots near most Amtrak stations are expensive. I would suggest leaving the car at her residence in Charlotteville ,taking a cab to the station then reserving one on the return trip. Can she can bum a ride with a friend for a stop at Starbucks?

Where are they driving in from to the train station? I would take Uber to save some money.

Agreed on that: the those guys don't take holidays off either. My niece's car got towed last Jan 1 while we were watching the new Star Wars movie on the downtown mall.

It looks like it could cost her as much in parking as it would in train fare
Sounds about right. For San Antonio Amtrak.com lists parking that would cost a minimum of $73 for an overnight turnaround or $289 per week.

Wherever you park make sure it's legal. The local towing company (Collier's) is very aggressive, even predatory, and it will cost hundreds to get your car back. They tow from private lots.
It's the same scenario in hundreds of other cities. "Towed at owner's expense" started out as a legitimate solution that passed reasonable fees onto the responsible party. Unfortunately it has now been turned into a profit driven charade for mob racket style towing companies. Whenever you're in doubt park somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions. My daughter is driving in from Lynchburg, which is over an hour each way. So a cab or Uber would be pricey.

The Park & Ride idea was a good one - but there aren't any large ones close. The airport is $4/day cheaper, but an Über each way would eat up that savings.

Looks like we'll grin and bear it and pre-pay at the Charlottesville Amtrak station. At $12 per day that will come to about $108 for Fri-Sun.

If she is coming from Lynchburg, it seems like she could take the NER train from Lynchburg to Charlottesville and connect to the Cardinal. The reverse for the return trip. Assuming her schedule permits that.

If she is coming from Lynchburg, it seems like she could take the NER train from Lynchburg to Charlottesville and connect to the Cardinal. The reverse for the return trip. Assuming her schedule permits that.
She has done that in the past. This semester, her schedule doesn't allow it - she'd have to take the long way home via the CL to South Bend the following day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

She ended up parking at the station, and found if she picked a space further from the station, the cost went down to around $8 or $9 per day.

We can live with that.

FYI - Our family decided that instead of taking her off the train as originally planned - we're going to join her on the Cardinal in Crawfordsville, IN - and all spend the weekend in Chicago.

We'll be taking the Hoosier State home Sunday night - really looking forward to the dome car (and checking out the new Metropolitan Lounge in Union Station)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back