Part 2: CHI-NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
After killing a long layover in Chicago by going to the Sears Tower, walking around Navy Pier for awhile, and catching an IMAX 3D presentation of The Polar Exress (kids movie...yes it was...but it was well made and the animation was incredible), and just basically walking around the downtown area, it was finally time to board #59 to New Orleans.

Boarding commenced at 7:35pm through gate D. The consist of the train was as follows: 1 P42 "Toyota Tundra" loco, 1 baggage car, 1 Transition Sleeper, 1 Dining Car, 1 Sightseer Lounge, 3 Coaches (one of which was not in revenue service), and 1 Sleeper at the rear. There was a line about fourty people deep wautung to board.

Push back was on-time at 8:00am. We moved thirty feet and came to a stop. We waited for about five minutes, where we then backed up another fufty feet or so, and stopped again. Five minutes later the conductor came across the p.a to annjounce that we eould be pulling back into the station to get a new engine, as this one was having problams. He said the delay would last about an hour probably. The coach attendant said that they were expecting a large crowd through the night so single riders in coach may have to end up sitting next to someone.

First and only call for dinner was made at 8:30. I decided to treat myself tonight. Diner was full. I sat with two ladies, one going to MEM and the other to NOL. I had Chicken Fried Steak, and it was decent. Service was outstanding. I went back to my seat at about 9:25 just as we started moving...for good this time. I spotted the conductor and asked him if it was a HEP probalem with that first engine, and he said that it was both a HEP problem and a traction problem.

We were now running with a reverse consist, with the loco hooked right in front of the regular Sleeping Car, and the baggage car was now the last car on the train. We had to do quite a bit of track switching to get on the CN mainline to NOL. The entire process was finished by 9:40pm, when we started cruising at 75 mph + for the remainder of the night pretty much.

I was sleeping by 11:00pm, and missed every station stop after Homewood and before Memphis. It was a bumpy ride through the night, but I managed to sleep well. I awoke somewhere in Tennessee,...about 45 min. outside of MEM. We got to MEM at 7:50am and departed at 8:00am. Slow running for the first 25 minutes out of Memphis. We finally got up to speed by about 8:25.

At around 9:00am the Cafe attendant announced that she would replay the two movies from last night (Bourne Supremecy and Shark Tale). That's a nice feature. Greenwood came and went at 10:26am. Yazoo City at 11:20am, and Jackson at 12:25pm, where we stopped for about 5 minutes. At around 12:45pm I hit the Cafe for a burger and a Pepsi.

We made good time for the remainder of the route. Our Northbound sister train was held up at Pass Manchac on a siding to let us pass. She was probably there for at least twenty-five minutes. It was a nice day as we all got great views of bayou country, as we crossed the trestles over the Bonnet Carre Spillway and the edge of Lake Pontchartrain. I spotted at least two alligators, which is an unusual sight this time of year. As we were about twenty minutes late, we did not back into the station, instead we pulled straight in, which is a rare occurance in New Orleans.

Another day, another great Amtrak trip.

NativeSon5859 said:
As usual, another poor job of proofreading on my part. Please excuse the spelling errors.
You do know that you can click the "Edit" button at the top of your post to fix those errors. I noticed that you hard a real problem with the letter "u" jumping in where "i" should have been. :lol:

But don't worry, we won't grade you on spelling. :)

Ps. Thanks for the reports! :)

AlanB said:
NativeSon5859 said:
As usual, another poor job of proofreading on my part. Please excuse the spelling errors.
You do know that you can click the "Edit" button at the top of your post to fix those errors. I noticed that you hard a real problem with the letter "u" jumping in where "i" should have been. :lol:

But don't worry, we won't grade you on spelling. :)
Just as some people have trouble with an "r" jumping in where it shouldn't.

I'm curious, though. If the train went backwards (engine added to other end), did they turn the seats in coach, or did everyone ride backwards?

Actually I forgot to mention that in my report. They did turn all the coach seats around. Actually it was a little odd since I was in the diner when it happened. I went back to the coach I was in and all of a sudden my seat, which was in the second to last row in the car originally, was right up in the front. It took me a second to figure out what happened. Kind of nifty if you ask me.

I'm assuming they removed the 115 from the train correct? Any idea what engine was put in to haul the train?

Alan, thanks for not holding the spelling against me. Of course, those errors were the result of typing it out quickly and not reading it over. I always forget about that "edit" option. I'll learn someday. :rolleyes:

That surpriese me. The 126 is one of the few ITCS fitted engines. But I guess in this situation they needed power quick and took what Diesel shops had ready. Also surprising a few weeks back was that ITCS fitted Phase III Engine 31 was involved in the Grand Junction derailment. Hopefully Beech Grove doesn't get its hands on it after that incident.

battalion51 said:
Phase III Engine 31 was involved in the Grand Junction derailment. Hopefully Beech Grove doesn't get its hands on it after that incident.
Considering the amount of damage that befell the 31, I don't think they'd have a choice. To my knowledge, the derailed equipment is in BEE right now.

You're right Rob/ I just looked on Geoff's Amtrak Notes pages and it's listed as Stored Unserviceable (although these can usually be put back into service, it just indicates it needs work before it can go back to work). Cuts it down to 2 active Phase III units. :( At least I've seen one before they're all extinct.

A different report says that 156 replaced 115. However, that could be a typo.

It could have been 156. I saw the engine number for the first time when I detrained in NOL and by that time I was pretty tired. I knew the "1" and the "6" were correct. 156 sounds just as good as 126. And yes, they did take the 115 off of the train in Chicago.

This is a stretch, but lets see if you can make it, did it have the high stripe or low stripe? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back