Part 2 - Our long awaited trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSue

Train Attendant
Sunday, Sept 26 - Time to head home. My aunt and uncle dropped us off at Los Angeles Union Station. I went to print our tickets at the kiosk to board the Coast Starlight. This part of the trip was actually booked separately as it was an AGR reward. I got in line to check our luggage while Bob waited with the rest of our stuff. A man standing behind me began cursing as he waited. The woman with him just kept saying that she hoped they made the train. He said that they were going to make it, along with a lot of very nasty words. I kept hoping that he wasn't boarding my train! Bob and I walked to the area that sleeping car passengers wait and we were immediately greeted by our conductor who took our tickets and asked if we would like a ride to the train. We hoped on a cart along with another couple and the redcap took us to the door of our car. We were glad that we took the ride because it was quite a distance. We boarded car 1431 and went to bedroom E. There was a little amenity bag with soap, shampoo and lotion laying on the couch. Our SCA Herminio brought us each a little bottle of champagne as we pulled from the station. We went to lunch at 12 and noticed as we walked into the diner, how warm it was in there. The air conditioning wasn't working but it was tolerable. We both had the Angus steak burger. I had the brownie for dessert and Bob had the chocolate HagenDaz. It was good as usual. We took pictures and enjoyed the ocean scenery. Saw some dolphin jumping in the water and a lot of people on the beach. We went to the parlor car in the afternoon and purchased a Mocha cappacino and a couple of Coast Starlight mugs as souvenirs. We ate dinner in the diner at 6 pm even though we weren't very hungry, but the air conditioning still wasn't working in that car and they wanted to close the diner early. There was supposed to be a mechanic meeting us at the stop in Oakland to try to fix it. The LSA, Mel was very nice and we felt sorry for the wait staff as they were doing a great job serving everyone with a smile on their faces and sweat on their brow. I heard Mel also say that the refrigeration wasn't working either and the ice cream we ate for dessert was not frozen as hard as it usually is. Back to our room and it was getting dark by 7:25. I read my book and Bob listened to his IPOD. We had Herminio make up our beds by 9:45.

Monday, Sept 27 - We got up around 6:30 and went to breakfast by 7:30. Herminio made up our room while we were at breakfast. I had the French toast and Bob had the scrambled eggs. We sat with an elderly couple on their way home to Eugene. He was hard of hearing and I think the rest of the diner could hear me talk to him. The PPC was full so we went back to our room. Took a lot of pictures. Saw two eagles soaring over the lake. Beautiful. We rested and enjoyed the scenery. We heard an announcement for all on board staff to go to the dining car. Soon after, Herminio came to tell us that it was only cooler in the diner this morning because of us being in a higher elavation but the air conditioning still wasn't working and they would not be serving lunch or dinner in there. They would bring food to our room. He brought Subway sandwiches and a small salad and bottled water at 1 pm for lunch. He even came back and asked us if we wanted more. An announcement was made for all coach passengers to go to the lounge to get their free sandwiches also. We arrived in Portland about 20 minutes early. We went in to look at the station and bought an ice cream cone. Back on the train, Bob found Herminio and gave him his tip. Around 5 pm, Herminio brought us a box lunch from KFC, containing 3 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw and a bisquit. He also brought us a can of pop. Once again they announced that the coach passengers could also get the free dinner and again Herminio came and offered us more food which we declined as we were stuffed! (I had read on this forum that they had given KFC to the sleeping car passengers when something happened but I didn't know that they gave all the coach passengers free food also, Kudos Amtrak!) Later, Herminio came around to pick up the trash and he came back with two more bottles of champagne that he had left. (guess he liked the $25 tip). We got everything packed up and organized so we would be ready to get off in Seattle. Herminio stopped by and chatted with us a few minutes. Talked about his kids and what it is like to work for Amtrak. He has been doing this 20+ years. He is one of the best SCA's we've had. Took a taxi to our motel in Seattle.

Tuesday, Sept 28 - Got up at 7:30 and made coffee in our motel room. Ate some breakfast bars that we carried with us and called downstairs to ask for a late check out. We walked to the space needle, about 20 minutes away. Took the elevator up to the observation deck and then had lunch in the revolving restaurant. We both had the Alaskan Halibut and fries. It was wonderful. Walked back to the motel and checked out, got a taxi waiting outside to take us back to the station. Got our luggage checked in and sat and waited to board the train. Looked around at the renovations that are in progress. Boarded the Empire Builder, car 830, bedroom D, around 4:20 and left promptly at 4:40 pm. We were disappointed that this was not a refurbished train. The CZ and CS were so clean and updated. This one looks its age! Gary was our attendant. He brought us two bottles of champagne as we left. There was also an amenity bag in the room when we arrived. We went to dinner and sat with two sister-in-laws that were traveling together to Milwaukee. This is their first time on a train. We heard a gentleman behind us telling his tablemates about being on the CS and receiving "lunch in a plastic bag" and "greasy KFC, the only thing I could eat was the coleslaw" I guess his could have been greasy but ours wasn't. We ended up seeing him numerous times at meals and everyone he sat with, he told the same story. We told a different version :cool: Antonio was our waiter and he was very funny and had the whole car laughing. I had the halibut and Bob had the oven fried chicken. I had the chocolate bundt cake warmed with vanilla ice cream on top (Antonio's suggestion). Yummy! The two women left without leaving a tip and also without paying for a glass of wine. The LSA came around and thought we were to pay for the wine, but we told him that it was the lady that left. He said "that's okay, we have her name and room number, I'll be able to pay her a visit". Went to our room and watched the scenery until it got too dark. Had Gary make up our beds around 9:30. I tried the top bunk this time. Had to use the duct tape to cover up the air vent as it was blowing cold air on my head. The tape worked great and I actually am starting to be able to sleep on the train, in the top bunk even!

Wednesday, Sept 29 - Went to breakfast at 7 am. Our room was back in order by the time we got back. Gary is a good attendant, he was always there to get the room ready for us, even without having to call him. Otherwise we really didn't see him except smoking outside on the smoke breaks. Took some pictures of Glacier National Park. Had Ivar's clam chowder and salad for lunch. We went to the wine tasting in the afternoon. I won a bottle of wine for correctly answering a trivia question" What do rich people want for? Poor people have? Is better than God? If you eat it you will die?" (answer below) Unfortunately the bottle I won was the worst tasting one in my opinion so I gave it to a woman at our table. Back to our room till dinner. Our beds were made up when we got back from dinner (told you Gary was always there even when not called). It was 7:45 but actually we had crossed a time zone so it was 8:45. I played on my computer a while while Bob listened to his IPOD. I slept in the top bunk again. I believe this was the night that it seemed that the train was traveling over rocks it was so bumpy. Had a hard time getting to sleep but once I did, finally slept like a baby! Figures, my last night on a train for a while and I finally can sleep!

Thursday, Sept 30 - Went to breakfast at 6:50 and Gary was at our door, ready to make up our rooms as we left......creepy :unsure: We were stopped at St. Paul after we ate breakfast. I had the pancakes and Bob had eggs cooked to order. We went outside for awhile and then went to car 2830 to try to locate "meatpuppet" from the AU group. His roomette door was shut so we didn't bother him. He had PM'd me before our trip to let me know that we would be on the same train. Back in our room I emailed Meatpuppet to let him know that we stopped by. A while later he (Kevin) and his girlfriend Jill came by our room. They stayed and talked awhile. It was so nice meeting some of the AU members on this trip. We stepped off the train in Winona. Back on our way and there were limited choices for lunch . Bob had the clam chowder again. There were no desserts left. I've seen this happen before where by the last day the food choices are limited and there is no dessert. Seems unfair to the people who boarded in sleepers the day before. Why do they run out of food? We arrived Chicago Union Station 30 minutes early. Sat in the lounge until time to board the CL for Toledo. Sat in coach on the CL and arrived in Toledo about 15 minutes late.

A wonderful trip. Tolerable inconveniences. Great memories.

Answer to the trivia question: Nothing

Very much enjoyed your trip report. We did a similar trip two years ago and had a wonderful time. It really helps to have good SCA's. :)

Also wonder why the LD trains run out of food so often. When we boarded our SWC last week in KCY, the breakfast choices were limited. :(

Getting ready to hunker down for a long Ohio winter :(

:hi: Nice trip report, glad yall got to experience what that sorehead guy inb the diner was telling stories about, theres always one everywhere! Got to ride the three best trains in Amtrak, how good is that! The reason they run out of food on the last days are several but generally: 1)Limited amount of storeage space aboard 2)few comissaries to stock up

3)large volume of passengers on most LD trains 4)on the last leg of a turnaround the OBS are tired and ready to get home, they quit getting paid when the train hits the bumper, we all know that feeling! Please call Amtrak Customer Relations re the diner problems, no AC,food etc. You will no doubt be offered a voucher,(also compliment the good OBS) or if it was all on an AGR award AGR usually will rebate points for poroblems like this! Sometimes you have your choice! Thanks for sharing, great trip! :wub: Jim

Thanks for your interesting and entertaining trip report. I did a similar trip at the end of August/beginning of September (but mine was only 2 weeks - not three weeks like yours and I only did the CS from SAC to SEA).

I won a bottle of wine on the Empire Builder also (and gave it away also). :)

Would you compare the bedroom to the roomettes on the LSL? Have you had roomettes on the Superliners also? If so, how did they compare?

Great trip report. Interesting itinerary.

Would you compare the bedroom to the roomettes on the LSL? Have you had roomettes on the Superliners also? If so, how did they compare?
I've only been in coach on the LSL. We were in a roomette on the SWC two years ago. There is much more room in a bedroom. A roomette is okay for one person or if two of you don't have a lot that you carry on with you. When the bed is made up, there is very little room between the bed and the door in a roomette. In a bedroom you have your own enclosed bathroom too.

Thanks for your interesting and entertaining trip report. I did a similar trip at the end of August/beginning of September (but mine was only 2 weeks - not three weeks like yours and I only did the CS from SAC to SEA).

I won a bottle of wine on the Empire Builder also (and gave it away also). :)

I remember reading your trip report also and we discussed netbooks and internet usage before I left. Our trip was everything I hoped it would be. The few inconveniences did not dampen our mood like the guy who complained about the KFC. We were just so happy to be on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back