Passenger service pre-Amtrak.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a couple of trips between Spokane and Chicago, one in 1963 on the North Coast Limited and the other in 1965 on the Empire Builder. I was only 3 on the first trip and 5 on the second, and though I don't remember much of either one, I do remember riding in the dome car with my sister on the second trip, on the EB. That was fun; I remember riding up there and watching as the Rocky Mountains in Montana came into view. My mom chose that time to nap. It worked out the best for both worlds; my mom got to rest and my sister and I got to be out from underneath Mom's thumb. :lol: I guess it's an indication of how my mind works that the most vivid memories are of falling down the stairs of the dome car and of seeing the train on a sharp curve in Glacier Park run over a squirrel. :rolleyes: As best I can recall, the EB trip was pretty much on time all the way around. The ride itself, though, was something less than desirable: I can remember how rough a ride it was, much rougher than any Amtrak trip I've taken. Just to go to move around on the train could be dangerous; it was almost impossible not to end up in some poor unsuspecting passenger's lap.
I, too, miss the old dome cars. I know it won't ever happen but I'd love to see them return. Riding the dome car (the mishap on the stairs notwithstanding), was one of the happier memories I have of those days.
Just a small plug--some of those old Budd and Pullman domes are now on the Alaska Railroad... :)
I think Amtrak sold off all of the old Budd domes some time ago. I'd love to know if there are a few stashed away somewhere on Amtrak property but I think they all hit the auction block. Oh, that observation lounge sleeper that carried the markers on the Sunset in the 70's was a wonderful riding car with tons of amenities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back