Passenger Trains in Europe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I just returned from a three week trip to Austria, Germany, Belgium, and Holland. Most of the trip was on a river cruise ship on the Danube, Main, and Rhine Rivers. It didn't take long for me to figure out that the rail lines that run along both sides of the rivers are heavy with passenger train traffic. But it did take a few days for me to see something we don't see here in the US.

When a passenger train is coming, the freight trains pull onto the sidings and wiat for them to go by. Wouldn't that be nice if Amtrak could have that luxury.

I was able to get to some large stations, too. Cologne, for instance, has about 1200 arrivals and departures a day into one station, and usually right on time.

When I get organized and over my jet lag I'll have a link for some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Tom

I took that same trip, and the rail fanning in Europe is awesome. For example, there are at least two ICE routes between Munich and Frankfut. In Munich, I made a last minute change to rice to MUnich, and was treated to some new mileage because the train traveled on the second route to Frankfurt, whcih I had never traveled on before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back