Penalty for changing companion passenger on Sleeper reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explore

Train Attendant
So I book a sleeping car room for 2 passengers. But the second passenger can’t make it. Can I substitute someone else without fare or points penalty? (This would probably be a points booking.)

Thanks!

You’d just be changing the name of the person? I don’t see why it would cost you anymore.
That would be nice, but it doesn't work that way in airline world...where you'd have to cancel the companion's ticket and buy a whole new one for someone else, because the name is everything. Can someone confirm that Amtrak does things differently?

That would be nice, but it doesn't work that way in airline world...where you'd have to cancel the companion's ticket and buy a whole new one for someone else, because the name is everything. Can someone confirm that Amtrak does things differently?
I can't confirm but with Amtrak, both names are on the same reservation #/ticket for the same accomodation. With an airlines, aren't seperate tickets issued for each passenger?

I’m pretty sure you won’t have a problem they don’t really check for ids or anything. I’m almost positive I’ve done it myself in the past - just called and they updated the name on the reservation.

Amtrak isn't an airline. Call and ask, and I'll bet they just swap the name for you.

I've only had ID checked one time about 8 years ago which was on a NE regional train
I've had my ID checked once, too (other than cross border trips where they check everybody). Conductor told me it is a random selection and comes up on their device when they scan the ticket.

It does happen, but very infrequently in my experience.

I recently called the AGR number and reached Patrick, with whom I've had good transactions in previous calls. I needed to change my wife's name on a reservation. Somehow Janice's name was listed as Patricia, but the AGR number was correct. No problem; done in an instant.

Back