Penn Station NYC info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie1a

Train Attendant
Last time I arrived at Penn Station (a few years ago) I exited the wrong place and had to walk all the way around the block to the taxi cab line. Not a big deal but a pain with a few pieces of luggage.

What exit do I want that will put me where the taxis line up?

You shouldn't have any trouble catching a cab no matter where you exit NYP. If there is no taxi stand where you come out just hail one.

The 7th Ave exit. It's the longish hallway opposite the information booth with the stairs to LIRR on the left and NJ Transit on the right. There will be fairly wide stairs flanked by escalators.

http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

On the second map, it's on the right-middle.

Yeah, but why walk all the way through that dungeon of a station with luggage to 7th Ave if you can exit right at 8th Ave? And there is a taxi stand out that side too, at 8th Ave and 33rd St.

I honestly don't think there is an easy way to find anything at Penn Station. It's a maze and really all looks the same until you've been there a few times. I usually arrive and depart by train (trains to subway or vice versa) but occasionally when I stay at a hotel near Penn and end up walking I always go out the wrong doors. I can't keep it straight. Thankfully I have figured out the interior pretty well.

As an alternative you could request a Red Cap to assist you and you'll have no problem getting to one in short order.

You shouldn't have any trouble catching a cab no matter where you exit NYP. If there is no taxi stand where you come out just hail one.
There are designed taxi stands in the area, and drivers are required to use them. If a cab driver just randomly picked up people on that block bypassing the taxi stand, I think there are plenty of monitors there who will report the driver. There would other drivers who might come out to chew the driver for line jumping as well as other passengers waiting in line and pissed that someone jumped ahead of them.

Not saying you were suggesting that anyone just try to hail a cab anywhere, but that the OP shouldn't be surprised if there aren't some places where cab drivers won't stop because they're required to use the taxi stand.

Go out the exit at 8th ave and 33rd street if you are heading uptown, and go out at 7th ave if you are heading downtown.

The exit at 8th ave and 33rd is on the ticket counter side, the OPPOSITE side from where club acela is located.

There are designed taxi stands in the area, and drivers are required to use them. If a cab driver just randomly picked up people on that block bypassing the taxi stand, I think there are plenty of monitors there who will report the driver. There would other drivers who might come out to chew the driver for line jumping as well as other passengers waiting in line and pissed that someone jumped ahead of them.

Not saying you were suggesting that anyone just try to hail a cab anywhere, but that the OP shouldn't be surprised if there aren't some places where cab drivers won't stop because they're required to use the taxi stand.
I never used the taxi stand the entire time I lived in NYC. Sure if you do it right by the stand on 8th or 7th it would be bad, but if you are on 32nd or 33rd halfway down the block (or on 7th or 8th on a different block not right in front of NYP) it is not a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back