PENNSYLIAVANIAN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probable it will...once the Three Rivers is cut back to Pittsburgh. I haven't heard anything on any other boards about the Pennsylvanian returing to suppliment the Three Rivers

The 3R's dies totally at the end of the six month train off notice and the Pennsy returns running NYP to PIT. Unless of course the State of Pennsylvania can suddenly find the monies to fund the 3R's.

Tell me if I am correct on this: a former Amtrak CEO (Downs or Warrington) told the PA DOT that they could operate the Pennsylvanian without subsidies. Soon after that, they introduced the 3R's as a M&X train with a few coaches. Then they turned the Pennsylvanian into a M&X train on a schedule that was very unfriendly for people in the namesake state. So, under Gunn, they bring the Pennsylvanian "back to its roots" only to realize that they can't afford to run both trains without getting a state subsidy on at least one of them. So, the 3R's gets the ax, unless Pennsylvania can support the Pennsylvanian, or unless Ohio can support the 3R's. Pennsylvania has interest but no money...Ohio has money but no interest. As for me and lots of other people, I hate to see Akron and Youngstown lose Amtrak service for the SECOND TIME!

Well I can't speak for what might happen if Ohio were to get into the action.

However, if the state of Pennsylvania can find some funding, then Amtrak would continue to run a shortened 3 Rivers (NYP-PIT), in addition to the Pennsylvanian.

Now I suppose if Ohio wanted to help out with funding then perhaps the 3R's could continue into Ohio at least, if not all the way to Chicago.

Without help from either state however, once the 6 months train off notice is satisfied, the 3R's will fade into history as will all service through Fostoria and other Ohio cities. Only the Pennsy will continue to run from NY to Pittsburg. :(

The National Association of Railroad Passengers has proposed that should the monies and interest be found in the involved states, the 3R's should continue but on a very different schedule. The trainoff in Napanee, Fostoria and Akron would stand; the train would be routed the same way as the CAPITOL LIMITED west of Pittsburgh, thus adding a third frequency between Cleveland and Chicago on the ex-New York Central line (the other being the LAKE SHORE LIMITED). The difference would be that it would operate overnight between New York City and Pittsburgh and during the day between Pittsburgh and Chicago, providing daylight service to Ohio and Indiana. That is what would give Ohio more interest in keeping some sort of service, because they need a convenient daytime frequency rather than having all their service in the wee hours of the morning. Service to Youngstown could be preserved under this plan if a track connection is rebuilt in Ravenna, OH.

Back