Pere Marquette schedule changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walker46

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So my son and I have reservations for a trip in May from Grand Rapids to New Orleans connecting of course in Chicago. I get an e-mail from Amtrak saying the return trip from Chicago to GR has been changed from leaving Chicago at 4:55 PM to leaving at 6:30 PM. OK, fine I think, I don't care and people on day or weekend trips to Chicago will get to spend more time in Chicago. A couple of minutes later I get another e-mail that says I'll be leaving GR at 6:00 AM rather than the up till now usual 7:40 AM. OK, this is a long trip so I don't much care if I have to get up a couple of hours early for this one.

But then I started thinking, is this going to be the regular schedule for the Pere Marquette? I punch in a couple future dates and it looks like it is. That early morning departure is sure going to make weekend trips to Chicago less popular (unless maybe you live in Benton Harbor.) And how is this going to work out for the train crew? Usually the crew that leaves Chicago is the crew for the return trip the next morning. With this new schedule the train arrives if it is on schedule at 11:39 PM. That means time between arrival and departure is less that 6 1/2 hours. Is this enough rest time for the crew? Even if it is, this isn't a train that has a very good on-time record. Doesn't sound like a very practical schedule change either for passengers or crews.. Anyone know the thinking behind the change?

My first thought is that this may have something to do with MOW work windows. Just a guess.

That is the new permanent schedule for the Pere Marquette. This is part of moving the crew base to Michigan and having a morning train out of Chicago.

The problem at this point is the train out of Chicago in the morning will terminate in Holland instead of Grand Rapids. The problem is Amtrak is trying to do this with just one trainset, so they can't go to Grand Rapids and make it back.

I've talked to my State Senator and he is clueless, he didn't even know that Michigan was funding the train!

The crew base is now with the BTL pool. Thus they would use the time in Chicago for rest (I wanna say with a split shift they need 8 hrs off IIRC). The other consideration is exactly as Jim pointed out, to accomplish two trips with one train set, the chi-hom-chi turn can't make it to GR.

Example schedule can be found here <http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/85/231/Thanksgiving-Timetable-Michigan-Services-2014.pdf> the 372/373 are the new service.

Thanks Hessjm and Navy for the info (and Palmetto for the guess.) I realize that there are always trade-offs but one of my concerns is that adjusting the schedule for maximizing equipment usage rather than for maximizing it for customer convenience might drive away customers. Amtrak certainly has a monopoly on train travel from Grand Rapids but the train is hardly the only way to get to Chicago. We should always keep in mind that everyone isn’t a train buff and they might not find taking the train as much fun if they have to get up at four or five in the morning in order to catch a train leaving at six. I don’t know what would be an ideal time for most passengers but I’m guessing any time before seven will start to cause a substantial drop-off in patronage. And on this phantom morning train from Chicago I’d think 8 AM CSD would be the ideal departure time with a big drop-off in passengers for anything later than nine.

I say phantom train because while the schedule is changing in May for the existing service, I can’t see that the morning Chicago train is scheduled to begin service. So does this mean that the change in May is just because of the crew base change and if it is, couldn’t they just still change the crew base to Battle Creek from Chicago and keep the current schedule until they actually begin offering the second train? I imagine there is some pressure to have the Pere Marquette crews based in Michigan since Michigan is paying for the train.

My other big concern is that as long as the Pere Marquette has to travel over Norfolk tracks, is there any way they can be expected to not be constantly late on this tight schedule using one train set?

I’m eager for a second train too and I appreciate the problems with equipment shortages and costs. The two of you apparently are aware and maybe were even involved in meetings or decision making that went into deciding about the schedule. Do you know if there were discussions concerning passenger convenience? Is there anywhere, say on the internet, where I can follow the discussions about Michigan service? I get the MARP newsletter but I don’t recall reading anything about this. The schedule change e-mail from Amtrak about my upcoming trip was the first I had heard of the schedule change. Thanks.

Urk. Is there some way to squeeze half an hour out of the schedule so that the "Holland turn" can get all the way to Grand Rapids and back? This would be extremely desirable.

I too was expecting that this new schedule would occur at the SAME TIME as a 2nd train in each direction would start. One thing I noticed though - can anyone tell me about EQUIPMENT changes on 370/371? I'm a regular rider and do enjoy the roomy double decker trains, but now I see on the new schedule 370/371 offer BUSINESS CLASS (which I've been hoping for forever!) - so I'm assuming there will be different equipment - same as Wolverine/Blue Water...anyone have any info on this?

I too was expecting that this new schedule would occur at the SAME TIME as a 2nd train in each direction would start. One thing I noticed though - can anyone tell me about EQUIPMENT changes on 370/371? I'm a regular rider and do enjoy the roomy double decker trains, but now I see on the new schedule 370/371 offer BUSINESS CLASS (which I've been hoping for forever!) - so I'm assuming there will be different equipment - same as Wolverine/Blue Water...anyone have any info on this?
The just block off half of the superliner car with a curtain, right at the stairs to the cafe.

Yes i have been on bus class on the superliner however the current pere marquette uses the double decker type train. Not sure what that is called but do we know for sure the equipment will be the superliner? Would they make the current lower level bus class on the double decker? That's not worth the additional $.

Sorry i may have my terms wrong...not sure what the single level train is called. But on the double decker bus class is the cafe on the 2nd level vs the first level as 370 currently is?

Business class on the Pere Marquette will be on the upper level behind the curtain. Everyone will have to go downstairs to the cafe car to get their items. It will be fun to see how they control access to the BC area!

so it's the same train I have now? So the other half of the business class car will just be the exact same as business class on the 2nd floor? You are correct it will be difficult to manage control to the bus class area - I do know the conductors well though, so I will say something! LOL!

But honestly if it's the same car I have now what's the point of business class? It's not worth an extra $14 for a beverage and pre boarding!

I will talk to my conductor buddies on Monday morning and see what they know too...ugh, how silly! Thanks for your help! Any idea when the 2nd trains will be running?

Same thing could be said about the proposed Biz Class on the Starlight! Unless its located downstairs in the PPC and has PPC and LA Lounge access, probably not worth the upgrade cost!

Right - on the wolverine/blue water it is a separate car, with a curtain, attached to the cafe car but there is no walking through there because it's either the last or first car. That one has a 2-1 configuration and I usually get a single seat so I can work and use both plugs. It is worth it with that configuration and the preboarding in Chicago (which is horrible). The preboarding could still be worth an extra fee but if it's the same car it just doesn't make sense. It makes MORE sense for it to be in the small downstairs area...I did notice though that you can no longer buy a LOWER LEVEL seat on the new schedules, so maybe that's how they plan to do it?

I will talk to my conductor buddies on Monday morning and see what they know too...ugh, how silly! Thanks for your help! Any idea when the 2nd trains will be running?
I'm on 390 now, I'll check with tonight's crew, you can follow up with Darryl & Dave on Monday. The changes are still 2 weeks out, so they may not know yet.

Thanks for your help - maybe I know you from 370/371 - Darryl and Dave are the usual guys when I ride - love them!! I get on in St. Joe. Thanks - will look for a post from you later.

No info at all, they didn't know about the BC being started on this route. Of course the current crews are done running this route at the end of next week. I believe Darryl will remain on this route until he retires in the fall.

I'm sad that the crew base is being changed. I'll really miss the Chicago crews.....they are phenomenal! I just hope that the GR crews will be just as good but the bar is set really really high in my opinion.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the possibility of the second train and do hope it won't be terminated in Holland. It would be nice to be able to head on the train from Holland (where I live) to GR without having to spend the night.

Yes I will miss the current crew too. I do know that Darryl said he'd be on the line until November when he retires. I believe he said Dave would not. I think they're both great but Dave makes EVERYONE feel special on the train - a far cry from the behavior of the Amtrak personnel at Union Station who can barely acknowledge you. I've been taking these trains for 10 years and they still act like they've never seen me before in their life! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back