Persistent toilet odor in Superliner roomette #4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explore

Train Attendant
This was an ongoing problem on my Southwest Chief trip from LA to KC last fall. You wouldn’t think the odor from the upstairs lavatory would carry that far. I’m now thinking you don’t want to be any closer to the center of the car than Roomettes 5 or 6, especially if your nearest and dearest is traveling with you.

Was this a one-off experience, or do you need to stay away from Roomettes 2, 3 and 4 without fail?

Well, I like roomette 2 and often ride there and usually there is no odor. Often the odors, if any, are limited to downstairs, particularly the H room which is right by the holding tanks.

Sewage odor problems come in a lot of variations, most commonly limited to downstairs, sometimes downstairs and the Bedrooms above the piping on the "wet end" of the Superliner. On some sad occasions, the entire car. The upstairs lav, in and of itself, is usually not a significant source of odor unless it isn't being kept clean. If it is that stinky, the problem lies deeper within the system.

I'd treat it as a one-off. If the odor is getting to 3&4, it is probably everywhere in the car. It's Amtrak, you win some, you lose some. The occasional car that has a sewer smell throughout is part of riding Amtrak. Ride enough, and you'll eventually encouter a stinky car. You'll also eventually eat the "we're 8 or more hours late" stew, have a car where the HVAC is stuck on high A/C, stuck on high heating, or just doesn't work at all. Maybe even have your roomette the door jump its track and jam, requiring a conductor with a crowbar to free you. You can't generally outguess Amtrak's Gods of Fate and the Coach Yard. However, it appears you did not suffer the other issue that often appears associated with a whole car sewer smell, that being the toilets not working at all.

Occasionally, the cars are simply stinky. Not great, and probably yet another source of "never agains" but a sad fact of life onboard Amtrak.

Last edited:
On my zephyr trip in November 2020, there was a constant odor in the bedroom half of the car. Super unpleasant. I didn’t encounter anything like it since however.

On our builder trip in December 2021, we were in the all roomette car, and there was a very mild unpleasant odor throughout the entire car. Nothing too bad, but it definitely tainted the trip a little.

Stinky cars happen, unfortunately. And it is impossible to plan your way around them.

I don't know the underlying cause, but I do know the vacuum operated waste system is very delicate, the "water barrier" that prevents smells coming up standard toilets is much less in the toilets is much less (possibly non-existent, I am no plumber), and the cars are hauling around a tank full of poop (right under the Bedrooms, btw). When you think about it, it is kind of surprising there aren't more odor issues than there are.

Last edited:
Stinky cars happen, unfortunately. And it is impossible to plan your way around them.

I don't know the underlying cause, but I do know the vacuum operated waste system is very delicate, the "water barrier" that prevents smells coming up standard toilets is much less in the toilets is much less (possibly non-existent, I am no plumber), and the cars are hauling around a tank full of poop (right under the Bedrooms, btw). When you think about it, it is kind of surprising there aren't more odor issues than there are.
zephyr17. Just browsing the forum for pleasure today. Read your post here. I suppose there is an upside and downside to everything. Reminded me of my experience with the incident in Putnam County Florida in the 1980's where #98 dumped waste on two fishermen at Buffalo Bluff Creek on the St. John's River. Many rail historians peg this event as the basis and cause of advent of holding tanks and the end of the Heritage fleet--and dumping of waste on the right-of-way. I remember this event and as a day I met W. Graham Clayton Jr. in person--as he attended the subsequent trial in Palatka FL. I can never resist the opportunity to praise Mr. Claytor as he has always been my railroad icon idol. Even thirty years since his leadership, I wonder if he would be beneficial to existing inconsistent issues that Amtrak is experiencing in its operations.

1*iVYocyVuGwx9Y4etS2NMdA.png

"All train compartments smell vaguely of ****. It gets so you don't mind it. That's the worst thing that I can confess. You know how long it took me to get there? A long time."

-Ricky Roma (Al Pacino) in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

Let guest relations know. We had the same issue in the H room on the SWC a few years ago. Guest relations refunded us the entire accommodation charge back to our credit card. I was aiming to get a couple hundred dollar voucher. The credit card refund and nice letter back in the mail was surprise. For non ticketing issues, I’ve had great experience writing guest relations vs phone calls.

I wish I could definitely say this was truly a “one off” experience, I also have experienced the smell a few times. The two worst were in the same car, 32078, on two separate trips which were months apart. The attendant was trying to spray as much air freshener as he could, but the odor was strong.

From my understanding, what’s happening is things other than what the waste system is designed to handle are flushed, they start to clog up the system. Then the vacuum system ends up working harder and releases said odor into the compartment which houses the waste tank. Then the A/C system brings in the smells. Evidently when this starts to happen, the only true remedy is for a deep cleaning of the waste system. And yes, the bedrooms are much more prone to experiencing the stench.

I've never smelled it upstairs - but I was under the impression that this was simply a fact of life in the H room -- just what you expect with an in-room toilet and 4 more of them right outside your door.

It is one of the reasons I don't want to see in-room toilets in any future roomettes. That is one thing Superliner got right and Viewliner got wrong.

I've never smelled it upstairs - but I was under the impression that this was simply a fact of life in the H room -- just what you expect with an in-room toilet and 4 more of them right outside your door.

It is one of the reasons I don't want to see in-room toilets in any future roomettes. That is one thing Superliner got right and Viewliner got wrong.
I don't think it's the toilet. I think it's the proximity to the macerator and the holding tank.

I have smelled this odor in another car (not my own), and have caught whiffs of it in Bedrooms. But I was recently in Room H, and did not notice this odor at all. The odor is the result of a malfunction, and I feel sorry for those in a car with this affliction.

Let guest relations know. We had the same issue in the H room on the SWC a few years ago. Guest relations refunded us the entire accommodation charge back to our credit card. I was aiming to get a couple hundred dollar voucher. The credit card refund and nice letter back in the mail was surprise. For non ticketing issues, I’ve had great experience writing guest relations vs phone calls.
Do you write a hard copy letter or can an email letter suffice?

Hard copy, certified snail mail to consumer relations Wash Dc HQ. I’ve found whenever I really want something or get a point across the five bucks for a certified letter seems to bump the letter up to another level. Super easy now with the self service machines at the PO.

Last edited:
Hard copy, certified snail mail to consumer relations Wash Dc HQ. I’ve found whenever I really want something or get a point across the five bucks for a certified letter seems to bump the letter up to another level. Super easy now with the self service machines at the PO.

Good ol certified snail mail. I did it a couple of years ago. Kept getting the runaround on the phone regarding missing points, because the conductor did not scan or lift our tickets on our roomette. I got the points I was expecting. Plus they threw in an extra 500 I wasn't expecting or entitled to for my hassle.

Back