Phase IIIb

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory but I'll need a few days to test it. Keep your eyes towards Beech Grove and/or Chicago next week because we may have the wrong idea.
Okey-dokey. I like Phase IIIb, however. I'd like to see it everywhere. So I hope I have the right idea. :)

Amtrak's progressive Phase V scheme arrived with the crisp and clean Acela Express and was associated with major capitol improvements and long term recurring increases in passengers and awareness. Now that Amtrak's dining services, sleeper amenities, and loyalty benefits all appear to be on a path of perpetual decline I wonder what Amtrak's 1970's magic marker style Phase IIIb scheme will remind us of in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phase V was, however, hideous-looking and said "corporate drone". Maybe that image worked for Acela.

Might be unrelated, but I noticed a Phase IVb Viewliner on the Lake Shore Limited this morning with what looked to be a name plate. Anyone know which car this is? And on that note, does anyone know where 62043 is at because I've been trying to find it and haven't had any luck.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 5.47.31 PM.png

Didn't they all have names when they were new (before they wore off or were removed)? I sort of remember seeing them on the end doors when passing between cars. Are they getting their original names back or new ones?

It's just to keep the guys in the paint shop entertained. Don't want them bored, who knows what they might start painting!

I have a theory but I'll need a few days to test it. Keep your eyes towards Beech Grove and/or Chicago next week because we may have the wrong idea.

Ok...here is my theory. Mr. Boardman keeps putting out memos about cutting expenses. He is also retiring soon. I knew the 8400 was going to be part of the GCIT, so I was interested in seeing what phase it would have.

My theory is there are numerous inspection/vip/tour trains traversing the nation. It is possible that they are getting a group of cars to make an entire special out of Phase 3? This way, you wouldn't have a mismatched train touring the country. most of the VIP trains have a sleeper or two plus coaches.

I could be wrong. I'm just throwing it out there for comment.

I wonder how much they'd save by not running all these specials, not screwing with the livery, and simply sending Boardman on his merry way.

I wonder how much they'd save by simply not running all these specials, not changing the livery, and simply sending Boardman on his way.
Mr. Boardman and the livery aside, the specials are likely to operate. Most railroads operate them to inspect their territory or drum up business and/or support for their operation.

I wonder how much they'd save by simply not running all these specials, not changing the livery, and simply sending Boardman on his way.
Mr. Boardman and the livery aside, the specials are likely to operate. Most railroads operate them to inspect their territory or drum up business and/or support for their operation.
How many railroads routinely operate their own inspection specials on class one foreign territory? What is the point of trying to drum up additional financial losses when you're supposedly trying to balance the budget? If Boardman wants to run a premature victory lap on his way out then maybe he should ride what he's actually selling instead of selling something no actual customer will ever ride.

How many railroads routinely operate their own inspection specials on class one foreign territory? What is the point of trying to drum up additional financial losses when you're supposedly trying to balance the budget? If Boardman wants to run a premature victory lap on his way out then maybe he should ride what he's actually selling instead of selling something no actual customer will ever ride.

Umm. BNSF, CSX ,Conrail (Shared Assets), UP, and NS to my direct knowledge. Not only have they run them on their own territories, they've run them on other territories. Additionally, it is about showing people the product and seeing if their is support. The GCIT carried a lot of people that can drum up support and hopefully financing for the route, and last I looked, the everything in that consist except for the 10001,10021 and 10004 which bracketed the train, is equipment that the general public has access to.

This is the exact same tactic that Mr. Gunn used when he had inspection trains ply the Harrisburg Line with PA officials. Those trips inspired PA to contribute a boatload of money to funding the operation of the Keystone Corridor.

Besides, this particular operation of the NOL - JAX inspection train was requested among others by a Republican Senator, a Republican and at least one Democrat Congressperson (one who was on the train with the Senator) and a whole host of Mayors and a few County officials along the route. It would be somewhat foolish IMHO to turn them down.

Umm. BNSF, CSX ,Conrail (Shared Assets), UP, and NS to my direct knowledge. Not only have they run them on their own territories, they've run them on other territories.
So BNSF, CSX, UP, and NS are routinely operating their own hardware inspection specials on foreign class one trackage hundreds or even thousands of miles away from their nearest home territory? Because it almost sounds like you're trying to sell a "has it ever happened anywhere at anytime" type of answer to a "does it happen regularly in a similar manner" type of question. There are third party commercial maintenance services and regulatory inspection cars that operate on most if not all class one mainlines, but I am not referring to those.

Besides, this particular operation of the NOL - JAX inspection train was requested among others by a Republican Senator, a Republican and at least one Democrat Congressperson (one who was on the train with the Senator) and a whole host of Mayors and a few County officials along the route. It would be somewhat foolish IMHO to turn them down.
Does anyone really believe that a new or revived NOL-JAX train is going to be funded to anywhere near a net neutral level? If not then Mr Boardman is simply drumming up even more debt that the rest of the staff will be tasked with erasing after he's gone. If Mr. Boardman had gone to bat and won some substantial operating concessions from congress then by all means take your newly invigorated show on the road and enjoy it. Instead Mr. Boardman ended up making unrealistic promises that are virtually guaranteed to fail and set the stage for even harsher attacks in the future.

Umm. BNSF, CSX ,Conrail (Shared Assets), UP, and NS to my direct knowledge. Not only have they run them on their own territories, they've run them on other territories.
So BNSF, CSX, UP, and NS are routinely operating their own hardware inspection specials on foreign class one trackage hundreds or even thousands of miles away from their nearest home territory? Because it almost sounds like you're trying to sell a "has it ever happened anywhere at anytime" type of answer to a "does it happen regularly in a similar manner" type of question. There are third party commercial maintenance services and regulatory inspection cars that operate on most if not all class one mainlines, but I am not referring to those.

Does anyone really believe that a new or revived NOL-JAX train is going to be funded to anywhere near a net neutral level? If not then Mr Boardman is simply drumming up even more debt that the rest of the staff will be tasked with erasing after he's gone. If Mr. Boardman had gone to bat and won some substantial operating concessions from congress then by all means take your newly invigorated show on the road and enjoy it. Instead Mr. Boardman ended up making unrealistic promises that are virtually guaranteed to fail and set the stage for even harsher attacks in the future.
Yep, every year they send officer specials to events like the super bowl, and when there is an election year, they also show up for the party conventions.

It seems to me that you live in an alternate reality where Mr. Boardman has made any promises to anyone. The only thing that he has said repeatedly is that unless there is full funding from the Feds, the state's involved or someone else there will be no train, much to the chagrin of some starry eyed train enthusiasts. Could you identify which promise he has made to whom exactly? I talked to the people involved day before from the cities and counties, at Jacksonville. I did not get the sense that anyone thought any promise had been made. All seem to be quite aware that it is upto them to find the funding or there will be no train. Could you share your sources that suggest someone thinks they will get a train for free? Even those that think the Feds should fund the train understand that Amtrak is not the Feds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back