Philadelphia 30th Street Station Redevelopment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Philadelphia 30th Street Station is in the beginning stages of a multi-year, multi-multi million dollar redevelopment. Interesting article in the Philadelphia Business Journal concerning the current status of the project. The PBJ is behind a very hard paywall, so here are the highlights:

• Cost rises from $400 million to $550 million, and completion is now expected in 2027 (was 2025).
  • Retail area (south station concourses) to be closed for reconstruction in January 2024. Existing vendors (Jersey Mike's, etc.) will temporarily use kiosks in the main concourse. Retail area to reopen in March 2025.
  • In April 2025, work will begin to replace the ticket and baggage area, add seating to the north waiting room, and the renovation of the Metropolitan Lounge. Work to be completed in October 2027.
If you are a Business Journal subscriber or think you can jump the paywall, the article can be found HERE.

A couple of renderings (from project developer, Plenary Infrastructure):

30th-street-mainconcourseaerial.jpg
Main concourse with dining areas

30th-street-centralarcade.jpg
New central corridor food court area

30th-street-mainconcoursedining.jpg
Main concourse dining area

30th-street-metloungeseating.jpg
Renovated Metropolitan Lounge

30th-street-northwaitingroomseating.jpg
North waiting room seating area. Current ticket office will be removed and relocated to a combined ticket and baggage area located at the far end of this view. The Spirit of Transportation panel sculpture (1895) is behind this view.

That would be great if there was a decent sit-down restaurant in 30th Street Station. Is it known what restaurant would occupy this space?
It is not known. All current vendors have been invited to return, but the full line-up, including any new options, will not be announced until sometime next year. I agree that a full-service, sit-down restaurant would be a great addition.

We are feeling the effects of the renovations already. The office towers are mostly empty for renovations, Amtrak put office workers in a building away from 30th Street. The funny thing about that is they're complaining that they have to walk to 30th street to go home on a train. I won't reveal the address of the temporary office space, but it's not a far walk.

I wonder if renovations will entice tenants. There are plenty of vacancies throughout the city. What will the offer that will make someone choose the station over a newer building?

That’s a shame. I just assumed for some reason that the restaurant would be at the other end, where there’s nothing special and it wouldn’t matter.

On the bright side, trendy (and I’m assuming expensive) doesn’t always last after everyone who wants to try a restaurant has gone there once. So I’m giving it one (maybe two) years before it folds, they take out the tables, and put back the wooden benches.

Back