Philadelphia Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
I leave Tues. night on my North America Raill Pass trip and have things pretty well planned out. One question remains: Is there a place close to the Philadelphia Amtrak station where I can get a decent Philly Steak Sandwich? I mean a real, sloppy, only can be bought in Philly kind. I will be connecting from the northbound Crescent to the westbound Three Rivers, so I'll have a couple of hours (maybe more as I have been checking and the Crescent often gets in early) to get out and stretch my legs. Is the neighborhood around the station OK to walk around in during the middle of the day? Any other close sights to see? Thanks for your input. I'll post extensive trip reports and pictures on my web page upon my return.

Coachseats,

Sorry I can't really answer the Cheesesteak question, but if no one else posts an answer by tomorrow night, I'll email a friend on Monday for his advice.

As for the area, it's not bad during the day. However, I don't really think that there is all that much to see in terms of historic sites. There is train action in that area, but most of the historic sites are in Center City located right across the river.

You can however ride SEPTA Regional Rail trains for free to Center City. The three downtown stops, 30th Street (Amtrak) - Suburban Station - Market East, are free to those arriving via Amtrak. If challenged for a ticket, which is unlikely, you simply show your stub from your arrival when heading east and show your full 3R's ticket when coming back to 30th Street.

The subway doesn't qualify for this offer.

Thanks for the info! I am getting hungry already. I looked at that website, and the best part is that it is in an old train station! Also, thanks Alan for the tip about using the SEPTA train for free with an Amtrak ticket. Hopefully I will have enough time in between trains to check it out.

Amfleet said:
Pat's King of Steaks serves up the all original Philly Cheesesteak, but they're located in suburban Philly. More than just a two hour trip from 30th Street Station.
WHAT!!!! In suburban Philadelphia? Oh the pain!

The ONE and ONLY Pat's is on Ninth Street in South Philly. The old Pat’s chain in the burbs was a sad imitation of the real Pat’s and was run by a renegade member of the Pat’s family who got the rights to use the name. They went belly-up long ago, and for good reason. Only the real Pat’s remains today.

But Pat’s is not the only name in Philly cheese steaks. Another big name is is Geno’s, located across the street. One notable difference is that Pat's uses Cheez Wiz, and Geno's uses real cheese. There are enthusiasts for both types of cheese on a Philly steak. Families have feuded for years over which are best. And besides Pat’s and Geno’s, there are scores of neighborhood deli’s and luncheonettes all over Philadelphia that serve some really good cheese steaks. Regardless of where you buy them, all Philly cheese steaks are guaranteed to raise your cholesterol by 50 points on the spot. Health food it ain’t!

In answer to the original question, as far as I know there are no outlets for real Philly cheese steaks in 30th Street Station. There are lots of food outlets at the station, but none that I know of that have real cheese steaks. Pat’s and Geno’s are too far away and, by public transit, only accessible by bus. But I would suspect a short stroll over to the nearby Drexel and University of Pennsylvania campuses would find a location serving a good one.

(added)

And I did not notice jefffromark’s reply, but his suggestion is a good one. Just head to the upper level at Thirtieth Street and take any Center City (east) bound train. Get off at Market East (second stop). Rick’s in the Terminal Market will do the trick for a real Philly cheese steak.

I was going to mention Pat's and Gino's which are across the street from each other but I could have sworn they were at 6th and Passyunk (it's been a couple of years though). The one in Reading Terminal is also good and is easy to get to from 30th Street station

I do remember that we took the bus down there but walked a few blocks to the Broad Street Subway to get back to Center City.

OKay I got this one lol

Sometimes right across the street where the Post Office is you'll see a couple of lunch wagons we call them ( being from PhiLLY)

the first one got the best. IT the quickest fastest and sloppiest. lol

Now if anyone happens to go to South Philly

I grew up 2 blocks which makes me a kind of judge at who's best from Pat's and Geno's Geno's got my vote!!!

Broad and Synder has a good shop near corner of lottery store.

Now anyone for Pizza?? :D :D :p B) B)

Rides Often

FLA Trains are FUN!!!

tp49 said:
I was going to mention Pat's and Gino's which are across the street from each other but I could have sworn they were at 6th and Passyunk (it's been a couple of years though). The one in Reading Terminal is also good and is easy to get to from 30th Street station
I do remember that we took the bus down there but walked a few blocks to the Broad Street Subway to get back to Center City.
They are located at 9 th and Wharton

not far from passyunk about a block or so

from center city 8 th street bus will take there

and 9th street bus will bring you back to center city :D :D

PRR 60 said:
Amfleet said:
Pat's King of Steaks serves up the all original Philly Cheesesteak, but they're located in suburban Philly. More than just a two hour trip from 30th Street Station.
WHAT!!!! In suburban Philadelphia? Oh the pain!

The ONE and ONLY Pat's is on Ninth Street in South Philly. The old Pat’s chain in the burbs was a sad imitation of the real Pat’s and was run by a renegade member of the Pat’s family who got the rights to use the name. They went belly-up long ago, and for good reason. Only the real Pat’s remains today.

But Pat’s is not the only name in Philly cheese steaks. Another big name is is Geno’s, located across the street. One notable difference is that Pat's uses Cheez Wiz, and Geno's uses real cheese. There are enthusiasts for both types of cheese on a Philly steak. Families have feuded for years over which are best. And besides Pat’s and Geno’s, there are scores of neighborhood deli’s and luncheonettes all over Philadelphia that serve some really good cheese steaks. Regardless of where you buy them, all Philly cheese steaks are guaranteed to raise your cholesterol by 50 points on the spot. Health food it ain’t!

In answer to the original question, as far as I know there are no outlets for real Philly cheese steaks in 30th Street Station. There are lots of food outlets at the station, but none that I know of that have real cheese steaks. Pat’s and Geno’s are too far away and, by public transit, only accessible by bus. But I would suspect a short stroll over to the nearby Drexel and University of Pennsylvania campuses would find a location serving a good one.

(added)

And I did not notice jefffromark’s reply, but his suggestion is a good one. Just head to the upper level at Thirtieth Street and take any Center City (east) bound train. Get off at Market East (second stop). Rick’s in the Terminal Market will do the trick for a real Philly cheese steak.
Actually this is not suburban Philly? lol

wish I grew up in subruban Philly

this is the city but called South Philly

ELNewBranch said:
Actually, I kinda like the pretzels in 30th St. They're baked and then dipped in butter.
Actually they are good but they are not what I am used to having as I grew up

7th and Federal is the orginal Federal Baking Co. and home to the soft pretzel.

ain't nothing like them!!

Rides Often ( misses home south philly ) lol

FLA Trains are fun!!!

:) :) :D :D B) B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back