Philadelphia to Washington 12/2/2023

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septa9739

Lead Service Attendant
12/2/23
A quick day trip up and down the NEC from Philadelphia to Washington aboard Trains 155 and 158. Weather was gray and overcast with considerable fog along the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Rain thankfully held off. Day began with a punctual SEPTA RRD connection. Train was very busy. Our group of 16 (getting share fares for $17 round trip) was seated in the fourth Silverliner V. The first three were standing room only, suggesting a ridership of about 325. Train 155 was delayed about an hour (of course when I have people with me) due to “late turn of equipment.” Given there really isn’t a turn to be made for 155, I think the real delay was mechanical failure in the yard. The station and train crews were excellent. Very efficient service into Washington. After a nice outing, Train 158 was punctual, neither praiseworthy nor condemnable, perfectly ordinary. Both Amtrak trains were busy-ish but probably busy given the time of year. I will note people were people were seated in the cafe as if it were revenue space, which I found annoying as it was difficult to get space to consume food and beverages. I thought that was against policy, but… SEPTA connection was again punctual and again busy, just a bit less so than the morning train.

Postscript AGR has already reached out with 250 points for my trouble re 155.

I don’t think I was entirely clear about that. I always understood first come first serve to mean you could come and lounge about as you wish from your revenue seat. Yesterday there were people with a seat check over them and their carry-on precisely in the way. Is that allowed? I’ve never encountered that before.

I don’t think I was entirely clear about that. I always understood first come first serve to mean you could come and lounge about as you wish from your revenue seat. Yesterday there were people with a seat check over them and their carry-on precisely in the way. Is that allowed? I’ve never encountered that before.
I have sat in the cafe car for trips between WIL and PHL. They don't put a seat check over me since it's non-stop between the two stations. If I thought I was keeping someone from having a seat (in order to eat), I would move, but I have not had that happen. I don't ride often between that city pair.

If I wanted to eat in the cafe car I would sit with someone already seated. If their bags were in the way, I'd ask them to move them.

I understood what you meant. I spent MANY years working as a cafe attendant on these trains. People use the seats in the cafe as their seat for their trip. It is allowed on the trains operating between Was and Bos.

ETA, as AmtrakBlue mentioned, you just ask the table hogs to move their belongings and join them if you wish to sit there also.

Back