Philadelphia Trolley Line #15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjibear

Conductor
I was thinking of taking a trip to Philadelphia. I was wondering if taking the Market Franfort subway to the #15 trolley line to Richmond Street is in a fairly safe area? Or is this an area that tourists should avoid?

There are certain areas along the route 15 that are safe. Although you should make a note that trolleys are not running until April 1st due to track replacement along the entire route. At the rate their going.. It could be longer.. So don't plan on seeing trolleys on there for a few months. I suggest coming during the late spring or early summer to see the renewed PCC's. Just make sure to make a stop on the bridge that crosses the River. Right next to it is the Amtrak bridge. At the right hour you can get the sun at your back and get good photos of a PCC and an Amtrak train, Septa, or NJT train. I've yet to do this but it's on my to do list.

Where on Richmond Street?
Down where the Polish market and lunch place is. I think it is almost at the end of the line. I have driven to this area but thought it would be neat to ride the trolley there. I figure once I am on the trolley that shouldn't be too bad but most worried about making the connection between the subway and the trolley.

I was thinking of taking a trip to Philadelphia. I was wondering if taking the Market Franfort subway to the #15 trolley line to Richmond Street is in a fairly safe area? Or is this an area that tourists should avoid?
Naw its ok @ that intersection (Girard &Frankford Ave). Down on Richmond st is peaceful too.

I am 50 and clearly not from any neighborhood along Girard Avenue. I spend part of every year in Phila.

I connect to and from the 15 regularly, from the Market-Frankford line, from the Broad line at Broad & Girard, from the route 57 at 3rd, from the route 47 at 8th, taking my little girls (5 and 8) to the zoo. I take it in the other direction late at night, from Callowhill to the 47 or the 57, on my way home to Queen Village from dinners in the Art Museum district.

Many of these changes would be seen as risky by non-Philadelphians, or even by car-based Philadelphia life forms. But I never have any trouble, and don't think you would, either, especially not up at that end of the line.

Historic trolleys are on track to be back up and running on Girard Avenue in September, SEPTA confirmed to Billy Penn.

The vintage 1947 trolleys on Route 15 stand out from the others in the system. They’re easily recognized by their retro design: the signature green-and-cream paint job, silver-winged central headlight, rounded white roof, and red stripe running beneath the windows.

https://billypenn.com/2023/07/07/septa-historic-trolleys-girard-avenue-route-15/

It’s a long story. We keep using them because we had them and every project on the 15 is lurching around a crisis. They should be replaced with the new order in 2030. They are also a lot better than the rolling stock available in the 80’s when SEPTA replaced most of the PCC fleet. The PCC’s are just tanks. That’s really all there is to it. It’s not some nostalgic thing and most of the 15 isn’t really gonna see tourists, so it isn’t that either.

It’s a long story. We keep using them because we had them and every project on the 15 is lurching around a crisis. They should be replaced with the new order in 2030. They are also a lot better than the rolling stock available in the 80’s when SEPTA replaced most of the PCC fleet. The PCC’s are just tanks. That’s really all there is to it. It’s not some nostalgic thing and most of the 15 isn’t really gonna see tourists, so it isn’t that either.
@Septa9739 - Do you think SEPTA will ever being streetcars back to Route 23?

I think the 23 is gone for good. The tracks have been paved over in many places. The wire that is still up has to be totally shot by now, so at this point it’s more adding a brand new service than a restoration. The trolley route was also split from its original 20 some mile route into two shorter routes into Center City, the 23 and the 45. Do we restore service to just the northern end, or also the southern? You need to serve at least as far as Girard to connect with the system. The 23 also lacks any sort of designated right of way, not that that’s a huge deal, but even as busses the 23 gets hopelessly gummed up. The 56 is impossible with out the 23. I think they should focus on the 43 (Spring Garden Street) where there is a whole space for a transitway just sitting stripped out totally unused for many blocks. It also connects better with the rest of the existing gird. The 30 (Haverford Avenue) would be a good choice for the same reason, but lacks a transit way. In the Suburbs, the West Chester Pike still has it’s designated ROW as a grassy median many of the 10X Series busses would become very competitive if they were restored to trolleys in that.

Back