Philly Mini-Meetup Saturday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayman

Engineer
Not sure if this is quite the right part of the forum for this, but since we've been talking a lot about the Obama Inauguration Train, I wanted to mention my watching plans in case anyone here wants to join me (since I know there are several other folks not far from Philly here).

I'll be at the Sharon Hill station on the R2, from about 10 AM onwards. The train is theoretically leaving 30th St at noon, according to one local news affiliate yesterday. So yes, it's lots of time standing in the 22-degree cold (and there's no open station building there)--dress warmly and in layers!!!--but I want to beat the crowd and at least a couple friends are meeting me there. We'll have baked goods and coffee and good cheer if any of you locals want to join us.

I chose Sharon Hill after scouting out several R2 stations yesterday for a few reasons: loooong platform on the southbound side, great sight lines, and not only the long platform but an equally long handicapped ramp parallel to the platform leading from platform level to about ten or fifteen feet up. Plus the grassy embankment between. So there's a ton of prime viewing space, and with the hill like that, it won't be "people in front see the train, people behind see other people's heads". Also, it's easily accessible by non-rail SEPTA (the 102 trolley stops about a fifteen minute walk from the rail station), and while the SEPTA station parking lot will be closed, there are lots of strip mall parking lots less than a ten minute walk away.

Private message me for my cellphone number and more details if you think you might make it.

Two important notes if you might come: again, dress warmly (the high is 22, and there will be wind-chill); and whatever you do, don't take any SEPTA regional rail trains to get there as everything will probably be off-schedule, not just the R2.

Not sure if this is quite the right part of the forum for this, but since we've been talking a lot about the Obama Inauguration Train, I wanted to mention my watching plans in case anyone here wants to join me (since I know there are several other folks not far from Philly here).
I'll be at the Sharon Hill station on the R2, from about 10 AM onwards. The train is theoretically leaving 30th St at noon, according to one local news affiliate yesterday. So yes, it's lots of time standing in the 22-degree cold (and there's no open station building there)--dress warmly and in layers!!!--but I want to beat the crowd and at least a couple friends are meeting me there. We'll have baked goods and coffee and good cheer if any of you locals want to join us.

I am pretty sure I'm going to find a spot on the South Shore of the Susquehanna river upstream of the Amtrak bridge, hopefully getting a long shot of the train crossing the bridge. Sun should be in the right direction and hopefully find a spot not too, crowded.

Bob

In the Baltimore area, word is that the train will slow at the Edgewood MARC station for a photo runby. The expectation is that Obama will wave from the back platform of the Georgia 300, but who knows, obviously. The Aberdeen station is also supposed to be open for crowds, but the train will be running at speed in that location.

Rafi

In the Baltimore area, word is that the train will slow at the Edgewood MARC station for a photo runby. The expectation is that Obama will wave from the back platform of the Georgia 300, but who knows, obviously. The Aberdeen station is also supposed to be open for crowds, but the train will be running at speed in that location.
Rafi
I haven't heard anything about what speed the train may be at along the R2. I know the city of Chester has been hoping he'll stop there, or at least go very slowly. I've been hoping that at least until Chester they'll be going 15-20 mph rather than clipping along at 50, given that there will probably be crowds at the frequent stations, but who knows. The primary whistle-stop train rolled through stations like Bryn Mawr at maybe 5-10 mph with him on the platform waving and speaking via loudspeaker to the assembled crowds. I don't know if we'll be so lucky this time around, though, and I doubt anything like that will be announced in advance.

Rafi
I haven't heard anything about what speed the train may be at along the R2. I know the city of Chester has been hoping he'll stop there, or at least go very slowly. I've been hoping that at least until Chester they'll be going 15-20 mph rather than clipping along at 50, given that there will probably be crowds at the frequent stations, but who knows. The primary whistle-stop train rolled through stations like Bryn Mawr at maybe 5-10 mph with him on the platform waving and speaking via loudspeaker to the assembled crowds. I don't know if we'll be so lucky this time around, though, and I doubt anything like that will be announced in advance.

Maryland has said (so far) to view at

Old Elton train station

Perryville train station

Aberdeen train station

Edgewood train station

and a high school in Edgewood tha backs against the tracks but the name has slipped my mind,

the only one they have said that the train will slow for is the Edgewood station.

I also would suspect Perryville because it is unlikely the train will cross the high bridge there at a very fast speed.

I wonder also about Martin Airport etc....

considering that the schedule (such that we know so far) is an hour from phila to wilmington and almost two hours from Wilmington to Baltimore.

this works out to about 45mph average speed or so

Baltimore to Washington will be well after dark with a projected departure from Baltimore after 5PM if on time.

Bob

Maryland has said (so far) to view at
Old Elton train station

Perryville train station

Aberdeen train station

Edgewood train station

and a high school in Edgewood tha backs against the tracks but the name has slipped my mind,

the only one they have said that the train will slow for is the Edgewood station.

I also would suspect Perryville because it is unlikely the train will cross the high bridge there at a very fast speed.
Wow, where are they publicizing that? I haven't seen anything to that level of detail for Philadelphia-area :(

considering that the schedule (such that we know so far) is an hour from phila to wilmington and almost two hours from Wilmington to Baltimore.
this works out to about 45mph average speed or so

Baltimore to Washington will be well after dark with a projected departure from Baltimore after 5PM if on time.
Also, it occurred to me that the schedule may not be what we think it is. I realized this morning that when they say "event starts at 10, Obama's train arrives at noon" for 30th St, they probably mean 10 is when several campaign volunteers and staff speak, followed by a few city councilfolk, followed by Mayor Nutter, and then probably one of Chakah Fatah or Patrick Murphy (congress), and finally Obama at noon. I doubt it's that he'll depart at noon, and likewise for events further down the line. But if that interpretation is correct, it doesn't affect the speed of the train, just its timing.

Interesting - the flashing message board at Odenton says no parking from midnight to 3PM tomorrow (so I was assuming that he'd be through there by then).

Looks like I might drive north tomorrow...
Yeah, parking at Odenton, Martins, and Edgewood (maybe some others) is going to be subject to towing, according to what we heard at the MARC Riders Advisory Council meeting last night.

Also, it occurred to me that the schedule may not be what we think it is. I realized this morning that when they say "event starts at 10, Obama's train arrives at noon" for 30th St, they probably mean 10 is when several campaign volunteers and staff speak, followed by a few city councilfolk, followed by Mayor Nutter, and then probably one of Chakah Fatah or Patrick Murphy (congress), and finally Obama at noon. I doubt it's that he'll depart at noon, and likewise for events further down the line. But if that interpretation is correct, it doesn't affect the speed of the train, just its timing.
Or... not. To my great surprise, I just read that there is no public event in Philadelphia. Which came as a surprise to pretty much everyone. Not only was I getting emails from numerous volunteer groups organizing to attend, but I got some emails from transition staffers organizing the ... event which seems to have gotten canceled, though they're not spinning it that way.

Obama Supporters Let Down by Philly No-Show

SEPTA Advisory

Regional Rail Service Alterations

Saturday January 17, 2009

Due to activities relating to President Elect Obama’s whistle stop visit to Philadelphia, SEPTA Regional Rail service on Saturday, January 17 will be affected as follows:

ALL SEPTA trains traveling to/from 30th St Station between 9:00 a.m. and 12 Noon will be subject to delays enroute to 30th St Station

At 30th Street Station, the ramp and main terminal stairways leading to the SEPTA platforms will be closed during the President Elect’s visit, SEPTA customers are advised to use Suburban Station as a travel alternate

Amtrak’s Wilmington Station will be closed on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. until after the whistle stop train leaves

Due to this closure, service will be suspended at Claymont and Wilmington stations. Service will begin and end at Marcus Hook as follows:

Marcus Hook to Center City............................. Center City to Marcus Hook (from Suburban Station)

Train #4608 - Departs 9:47 a.m. ......................Train #4209 - Departs 9:34 a.m.

Train #4610 - Departs 10:48 a.m.......................Train #4211 - Departs 10:34 a.m.

Train #4612 - CANCELLED.................................Train #4213 - CANCELLED

Train #4614 - Departs 12:28 p.m.......................Train #4215 - Departs 12:34 p.m.

Train #4616 - Departs 1:47 p.m.........................Train #4217 - Departs 1:34 p.m.

Train #4618 - Departs 2:48 p.m.........................Train #4219 - Departs 2:34 p.m.

All outbound SEPTA parking lots at Marcus Hook/Wilmington (R2) Line stations will close at 12 Midnight on Friday, January 16 and will reopen after the whistle stop train departs Wilmington; inbound lots will be open

Regular Saturday service on the Marcus Hook/Wilmington (R2) Line will resume after the departure of the whistle stop train

Article about the car Obama will be riding in is HERE.
Sheesh, looks like this thing hasn't been refurbished since 1930 :huh: I hope he's comfortable in there :)

2122930210001227466S425x425Q85.jpg
2303829940001227466S425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back