Photo changing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCC1007

Customer Service Agent
Why does Amtrak change their photos to remove the locomotive numbers on the publicly released images?

I'm not sure anyone that actually knows has said.

But consider the following example - say Amtrak publishes a bunch of promotional material with, say (/me picks a random locomotive), ACS-64 #601 on the cover. Ad dollars all over the place, long running ads, etc, etc.

Probably not the coolest thing in the world to have plastered all over the place if said locomotive were to be in some sort of high profile incident, don't you think?

It was my understanding that it was to prevent possible public confusion over locomotive number vs train number.

Locomotive AMTK 14 is not the same as the Coast Starlight #14.

Ryan does make a valid point as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have wondered this for years. I first noticed it back in the early 2000s. That didn't bother me as much as inaccurate consists such as a crescent with no crewdorm, diner, or baggage car and only one unit which was more common in the "Travel Planners" than the timetables.

Probably not the coolest thing in the world to have plastered all over the place if said locomotive were to be in some sort of high profile incident, don't you think?
I know there have been cases where the primary identifying marks on a hull loss were covered or painted over because it was stuck in a rather unfortunate location, such as a large commercial aircraft under/over shooting the runway at a major airport where it was likely to become a routinely viewed embarrassment. However, I am unaware of a single incident where a locomotive number became any sort of PR liability due to a crash or fire or derailment. Not here in Texas or the US or anywhere else for that matter. In my view there is likely to be a far simpler explanation. My guess is that the lack of numbers is probably due to simple aesthetics and/or the potential for confusion among the uninitiated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about Amtrak material, but some companies routinely airbrush out any logos or identifiers of equipment manufacturers in order not to be seen as endorsing any particular manufacturer. This works OK with no name stuff, but when you've got something like an iPhone you can see it's an iPhone even with the Apple logo removed.

Maybe the photoshoppers doing the work just take out anything they don't undertsand, almost as a reflex, just in case it contains some information that would indicate the manufacturer. In the case of a locomotive this doesn't make sense of course as we can tell the type and manufacturer even without knowing the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back