Picking seats?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal2Pluto

Train Attendant
Hey y'all.......so this trip next year is evolving. (Harrisburg>Chicago>Denver. Denver>Portland. Portland>Chicago>Harrisburg). It's gone from the idea of using the 10 segment Multi-ride pass to reserving a roomette for the Portland>Chicago segment (so excited to upgrade to that! šŸ˜Š).

Now that we are learning even more, I'm considering buying tickets outright for the rest of the trip rather than waiting. I haven't purchased them yet, but when I look at the options available, it gives me a choice of coach or busines, and upper or lower.

Here's my questions:
--Is paying the extra worth buying the Business--More comfy for sleeping?? any additional perks?
--Choices are Upper vs. Lower--Which are "better for viewing", or what are the pros and cons of each??
--Do you get to choose where your seats are? My husband is SO interested iin seeing the Horseshoe curve from the correct side.

I think that's all I'll burden you with this time. I appreciate all your advice from your experiences. You all are making this once-in-a-lifetime trip for us more exciting!

• I've not done long-distance business, but I wouldn't think it's that much more comfy than coach. Your car is likely to be quieter with a little more leg room, you should have lounge access in Chicago & Portland (and LA), and often a non-alchoholic beverage from the cafe.
  • Upper is better for seeing sights. Lower is usually considered to be a smoother ride (less sway). Upper is where the connection to other cars are. Lower is where the bathrooms are.
  • Seats are usually not assigned on Amtrak, although this is up to the crew working the train. Typically, you will be assigned a car, once on board you can pick any open seat in that car (like flying Southwest). You usually only see seat assignments when boarding in the middle of the night or if there is only a few seats available in the car.

Back