Pictures Of A Clocker

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
Dear members and all,

1st Q: There has been so much talk of the Clockers and I’ve been wondering what they look like, if you have any pic's of then, even a description of one I would appreciate it.

2nd Q: I also know that Manhattan doesn't allow diesel engines in the area, but every picture of the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Vermonter, Ethan Allen Express and many other trains have a P40 or P42, where do they change engines or is there something I missed?

Thank You,

Amtrakadirondack :) :) :) :) :)

To my knowledge, the Clockers pretty much look like any other Amtrak Regional or Keystone train. They usually use an AEM-7 at the head and regular coaches, although they some times use Horizon coaches (or at least they used to). They do not run with a cafe car in the consist.

As for your second question. Between Albany and NYP all trains (other than the new Turboliners) run with a P32 AC-DM engine. Now depending on the angle of the picture you are looking at, this engine looks very similar to a P40 or P42, since all three engines were built by GE.

The P32 AC-DM engine is capable of running on the same third rail that the LIRR uses to power its trains. So as the engineer aproaches Penn station he switches off the diesel motor and uses the DC power from the third rail to run the train. They do not use an HHP-8, AEM-7, or an E60 to pull the train into the station.

Now on the trains that you mentioned, along with the Lake Shore and any other train that goes north or west of Albany, the P32 AC-DM is removed at Albany and the train is then given a regular P42. Any train arriving in Albany from the north or the west has it's P42 removed and it then receives a P32 AC-DM.

The concept behind the AC-DM is used in several engines in the past, I don't remember the last model nmber Amtrak used but it was an EMD Dual Mode. The AC-DM is the first to use AC traction motors though. Amtrak owns 18 of the engines, they run exclusively from NYP to ALB. Ocasionally one will DH to NOL for repair, but Albany handles many of the repairs in house.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Amtrak used to have some dual-mode FL-9's. I know that Metro North had quite a few of them and in fact there are still a few FL-9's in use on Metro North.

FL-9 that's the one. They were a bear to run though as there was no A/C in the cab, talk about a hot job! (No pun intended.)

battalion51 said:
FL-9 that's the one. They were a bear to run though as there was no A/C in the cab, talk about a hot job! (No pun intended.)
Well only on those rare days when the temperature hits 90 in the Hudson valley would I think the cab would be unbarebly hot. Otherwise, I think with the windows open and traveling at 60 mph would cool things off and feel quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back