Pictures of Detroit Train Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Detroit and I'm sure that much of my life long train obsession started with trips to Michigan Central. It was an absolutely gorgeous station and as a kid it was a favorite place to visit. Probably my last trips to Michigan Central were pre-Amtrak when I would come home from UM. It's glory had definitely faded by the end of the 60's/early 70's.

Now all of the iconic buildings of my childhood/teen/early adult years are either gone or abandoned: downtown Hudson's, Tiger Stadium, Michigan Theater, Michigan Central and etc. G*d, I'm old. Sigh!

Ed

I grew up in Detroit and I'm sure that much of my life long train obsession started with trips to Michigan Central. It was an absolutely gorgeous station and as a kid it was a favorite place to visit. Probably my last trips to Michigan Central were pre-Amtrak when I would come home from UM. It's glory had definitely faded by the end of the 60's/early 70's.
Now all of the iconic buildings of my childhood/teen/early adult years are either gone or abandoned: downtown Hudson's, Tiger Stadium, Michigan Theater, Michigan Central and etc. G*d, I'm old. Sigh!

Ed
Did you ever visit the station at Jackson, Mi?

Ed
I've ridden past it but never got off in Jackson, so no. Is it worth visiting? Another favorite station in MI is the old one in Ann Arbor. Is it still the Gandy Dancer restaurant( which reminds me I didn't mention Joe Muer's in my list of Detroit icons now gone)? I've taken all the Amtrak routes in MI over the years and wish they would put back a connection to either Toledo and/or a train to NYC through Canada. Wishful thinking, I know.

Speaking of MI, I'm going to Port Huron in a couple of weeks and was thinking of a day train trip to London from Sarnia. Worthwhile? It appears the London station is within easy walking distance of downtown. True? Any Ontarioans(?sp) out there on this list?

Ed

Ed
I've ridden past it but never got off in Jackson, so no. Is it worth visiting? Another favorite station in MI is the old one in Ann Arbor. Is it still the Gandy Dancer restaurant( which reminds me I didn't mention Joe Muer's in my list of Detroit icons now gone)? I've taken all the Amtrak routes in MI over the years and wish they would put back a connection to either Toledo and/or a train to NYC through Canada. Wishful thinking, I know.

Speaking of MI, I'm going to Port Huron in a couple of weeks and was thinking of a day train trip to London from Sarnia. Worthwhile? It appears the London station is within easy walking distance of downtown. True? Any Ontarioans(?sp) out there on this list?

Ed
No not that I am aware of, just that I was born in Jackson

I'm not from Ontario but I have been to London MANY times. My family reunion is there. Yes, the train station is downtown and is a very easy walk to shopping, dining, etc. London is a wonderful city with lots to do. Have a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not from Ontario but I have been to London MANY times. My family reunion is there. Yes, the train station is downtown and is a very easy walk to shopping, dining, etc. London is a wonderful city with lots to do. Have a good time.
I'm suprised that there aren't very dangerous vagrants living in there. I'd be terrified to wander through and snap photos.
Is this an in-joke or are you serious? Hard to imagine packs of lawless marauders in southern Ontario.

Ed

I'm suprised that there aren't very dangerous vagrants living in there. I'd be terrified to wander through and snap photos.
Is this an in-joke or are you serious? Hard to imagine packs of lawless marauders in southern Ontario.

Ed
They were talking about Detroit.

Another MI favorite is the Durand station. Actually there is going to be a gathering of MI railfans there on May 3rd.

peter

Is it vagrant infested? I want to check it out. Also, how dangerous? I tend to blend in with vagrants- I kinda look like one.

Is it vagrant infested? I want to check it out. Also, how dangerous? I tend to blend in with vagrants- I kinda look like one.
Bay City? Are you asking about Bay City? Very nice little city and quite safe.
They keep talking about Detroit( I made the same mistake thinking the poster was envisioning hordes of vandals, if not even Visigoths) roaming through London, ON. As a Detroit to the core (regardless of where I live) I get tired of the eternal diss'ing of my city by people that haven't been there( or even by those that have!) Yeah, it's not what it was; yeah it's not perfect; but it's a great city full of great people. Rant over.

Ed

Bay City? Are you asking about Bay City? Very nice little city and quite safe.
They keep talking about Detroit( I made the same mistake thinking the poster was envisioning hordes of vandals, if not even Visigoths) roaming through London, ON. As a Detroit to the core (regardless of where I live) I get tired of the eternal diss'ing of my city by people that haven't been there( or even by those that have!) Yeah, it's not what it was; yeah it's not perfect; but it's a great city full of great people. Rant over.

Ed
Agreed. My wife and I like to visit Detroit and we are planning another visit soon. The area around the ball fields, Fox Theater, Greek town, Ren Cen, Fisher Theater, etc. are quite safe. We were there in December and felt totally safe in those areas and walking around. BTW, Cheli's Chili (owned by Chris Chelios of the Red Wings) has very good food and GREAT chili.

I love to drive by the old Michigan Central depot too. It is really a shame to see what has become of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back