Planes, Trains and Automobiles + Light-Rail - Part 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSpike

Lead Service Attendant
January 2, my friends drove me to Milwaukee in -3 weather to catch the Hiawatha. I paid for the MKE-CHI ticket to get 100 points since it was so cheap, choosing the 1100 a.m. train so it would give me time for a lunch - namely resembling something Amtrak would not be serving during my three-day trip to LAX and on to VAN. Many pax boarded, as was the case ten minutes down the line at the airport stop. By then the train was close to maxed out.

We arrived on time. I hurried off to the Metro lounge to dump my luggage off. It was packed as was the luggage room – organized chaos due to the holidays and the EB, CZ, and SWC leaving around the same time.

Braving the icy wind, I wasted no time getting to Giordano's on Jackson St. for lunch. The line for the restaurant section was long, so I sat in the bar to order immediately, watch part of a bowl game and enjoy a few drinks. I ordered the personal sized deep dish pizza so many in here have raved about.

[/size]

Back to CUS in the bitter cold. By then the lounge had cleared out. All that was left was pax for the SWC. I used 30,000 AGR's for my CHI-LAX-VAN trip home with Bedroom. We left CHI on time. The consist:

2 Gen's

Baggage

Sleeper + Crew

Sleeper

Sleeper

Diner

Lounge

Coach

Coach

Coach

My room attendant was Henry. Very friendly and he made it a point to address us by our names during our trip. Off to dinner around 7. I sat with three others. Two from NM, and one from LAX coming back from New York. Amtrak had to put him up in a CHI hotel due to problems - it seems a semi-truck tipped over at a crossing which resulted in missing his connection. He said they were given vouchers for the hotel, $11 including cab tip for each segment depot to hotel and back, and about $12 for meals.

This person had the steak and groused it was not worth what they charged. I pounced on the BBQ beef brisket since it is not normally offered on other routes. It was so-so. The steamed veggies were done just right. The staff did a good job dealing with a half-empty diner.

An issue with my Bedroom. Late during first night, I went to use the commode for the first time. Surprise!! Greeting my visual senses is what could be described as a large pile of dried HazMat about the size of a cow pie. I would have expected it in first-class in a third world country and not on Amtrak.

Breakfast the next morning I had French toast grilled just right, bacon, juice and coffee. The catch when the order was brought to me – no bacon. The waiter forgot to add it. Duh!!

I had to remind Henry twice about dealing with it and questioned Amtrak's quality control when they rehab the cars for another trip. When he saw it he was ticked off big time and going to write this up. It took copious amounts of cleaning chemical solvents and many flushes to correct it. The conductor even dropped by about it while he was there. He went to the extra trouble of disinfecting the entire area since it was likely it had not been done. A second irritant was the trash container being ¾ full. It gave new meaning to when one enters their compartment to start a trip and how spiffy it looks. As the saying goes don't judge a book by its cover. No excuse for this!!

Lunch another story: Plastic utensils. I sat at the same table as at breakfast next to their central serving station. Staff on lunch break sat across from me and had to endure them grousing about office politics stuff. I ordered the black bean and corn veggie burger. The menu said it came with onions. While my order was in I heard the staff moaning about the cook. On any orders that came with an onion, he would not provide it unless they wrote it on the order. Sure enough mine came without onion and my waiter had to go below to get some. I'm not a vegan fan, but it was excellent with a grilled look about it. The waiter later brought a plate with what they offered for dessert. I thought it was a great idea that might speed things along during busy dinner hours to 'show' what they have instead of usual Q and A's and endless explanations about what they had. Went to pay for my beer with credit card. No can do. They have a $10 minimum in the diner, none at the snack bar. So if somebody ordered something under $10 and doesn't have enough cash, they can't use their card…though not her fault, I chided her about has Amtrak ever thought about posting that on the menu. It reminds me of those rare restaurants that don't take credit cards but don't display it as you enter or put it on the menu. Geez!

The SWC stayed on schedule despite snow and ice the first day. We arrived in Albuquerque the next day about five minutes early. They have an impressive transportation hub: Amtrak, the Road Runner commuter train to Santa Fe, Greyhound and city buses. There is also a free shuttle bus between the depot and the airport on weekdays.

Another problem: While outside I noted water running out to the ground from the diner at the end of the car. Repair crews were all gathered around an outside excess door to panels. Just before a late departure came the announcement: No dinner in the diner tonight due to a 'minor explosion'. Coach pax were advised to use the snack bar for meals. The diner crew did a yeoman's job in dealing with meals for the sleeper folks: the staff was told to meet in the diner for a meeting. I sat in the SSL as we entered our next stop at Gallup NM resigned to no meal (but brought snacks just in case) and commented we were going by all the fast food places and we had no food. We sat for what seemed a long time there (later learned KFC making a delivery) and started out then stopped somebody forgot to get off there. Not knowing we would be fed, as I passed through the diner on my way back to my compartment a chicken dinner was offered. I took it and started back to the lounge. They told me I couldn't take the meal there. I told them I was just going to let the other sleeper pax know about the meals. They pointed out if the coach folks saw the meal it would start a riot. So I put it down and told them I would let the others know about the meals. It dawned on them to get on the PA and announce for all sleeper pax to go back to their rooms.

The staff came by our compartments and gave us a glass of ice; another a soft drink and another ice cream. The next morning all that was offered to first-class for breakfast was pastries, oranges and bananas, juice and coffee. I assume they had these delivered to the train somewhere along the line during the night if the fruit was not stocked on board. They also explained they were not obligated to feed coach pax unless there would be a four-hour delay.

I had a two-hour layover in LAX before taking the CS to VAN. Went to the TRAXX bar which is the 'first-class' lounge for the CS and discovered there is no WI-FI, which the Amtrak employee didn't know what I meant when asked if available. The bar offered coffee, tea, and assorted juices. The CS left on time. The consist:

2 Gen's

Baggage

Dorm

Sleeper

Sleeper

PC

Diner

SSL

4 Coach

I won't mention the sleeper attendant's name. He was the one of those you only see at stops, and when beds are dealt with. In sharp contrast, those that excel at their job are always stopping by the compartment to see how things are going.

For lunch, I was going to have the turkey sandwich with tomato bisque for lunch in the parlor car. But it seemed somebody didn't show up for work and they offered lasagna and a chicken Caesar salad instead. The lasagna was delicious and I heard others comment on it also. My lunch mate was an elderly lady from Medford on her way home. I was waaaaaay off on her age because she brought up riding the train during WW2. It took five days from NY to CA. She was a Marine instructor and taught pilots subjects related to the Corsair fighter plane.

Recently, I read in this forum somebody was told to leave the PC during the wine-tasting. During lunch I mentioned to the attendant I would like to use the table to set up my laptop. She told me to go ahead and use the table during the tasting since it was held around the small tables at the center of the car for about ten. Also, when I ordered a drink and using a credit card she asked me if I wanted to run a tab rather than having to use it for each purchase. She copied down my car, compartment and destination and let the tab run into the next day. So I guess many of the 'rules' are up to the person on duty.

For dinner I ate in the diner and had the steak and found it to be tender. The staff was friendly and efficient with a little joking going on. At most meals they announced that diners should refrain from using cell phones and if they had to they should go to the lounge. A nice touch so others don't have to endure listening to the inconsiderate dolts encountered. However, it rings hollow when I see train staff yakking on their cell phones while on duty in the diner on other routes. It seems Amtrak should standardize announcements. This route: cell phones; the CZ in the past it was gambling and public intoxication, the CS no sleeping during the day in the lounge car as it prevents others from being there to enjoy the scenery.

Next morning I ordered French toast again with bacon. For the second time on this trip on two different trains they forgot to add bacon to the order. Sometimes I think the staff is on robot mode and don't 'think' or 'listen.' Some routes ask you if you want meat added to the order. Some don't.

The train is running on schedule. We were slightly late into Eugene due to a freight ahead of us between CMO and EUG with mechanical problems. They nursed it to a siding so we could pass. Prior to arrival in EUG, the parlor attendant announced they would 'believe it or not, likely arrive in SEA ahead of time.

I got off in VAN where my car was and collected my checked in baggage which beat me by a day or two. I assume they sent it on the EB even though I went the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to take so long to comment on your trip report but just returned from one of my own! (AGR)

From what I read sounds like you should contact Customer Relations with your lack of service and concerns. Also why shield the lazy SCA by not mentioning his name, it helps us all to weed out the bad apples or light a fire under the rear of the slackers! I'm pretty sure you would get a voucher of some kind and if you used AGR points a rebate in part as lots of us have gotten! You rode some good trains, sounds like some of the crew were the exception rather than the norm on these routes! Also the comment about the brisket is spot on, come down to Texas and get some real smoked meat! :D

(FWIW it's no better on the TE, probably all cooked up in CHI which knows Hot Dogs and Pizza but not Bar-B-Q! :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back