Planning an "Around the Country" Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I'll be there the first few days of September. I wasn't counting on any guided tours, so I won't be heartbroken if they aren't being offered. Looking forward to my trip a whole lot now! I think I may take in a Mariners game when I hit Seattle as well.
A MARINERS game??? How sad!!! Why not wait until you reach EMY/San Francisco and watch a REAL major league team in action? :lol:
I'm a Phillies fan, and I don't think I could handle seeing that 2010 Pennant flying in their park :(
As a baseball fan I try to catch a game in every baseball city that I visit. Safeco field is a fun park even when the team is bad.

A night on the train.

A day at the ballpark

These are few of my favorite things.

Thanks! I'll be there the first few days of September. I wasn't counting on any guided tours, so I won't be heartbroken if they aren't being offered. Looking forward to my trip a whole lot now! I think I may take in a Mariners game when I hit Seattle as well.
I was in Glacier National Park the Saturday before labor day last year and they still were running the Red Bus Tours. There was some snow at the higher altitudes but the Going to the Sun Road was still open. I believe that I heard that it would be closing around September 15th (however, I may be off a week or so). I took the Empire Builder into West Glacier and made a reservation in advance to have a park shuttle pick me up at the train station and take me to Lake McDonald Lodge (where I spent the night). It was well worth every cent I spent.

I went to my first Mariners game last year and it was a lot of fun, even though (as usual) the Marginals lost. Next time I go to a Mariners game I'm going to try to get a seat over the right-centerfield scoreboard. The BNSF main line runs right behind the stadium there and if the game gets bad I could always do some railfanning! :lol:

After looking into Glacier National Park, I think I want to spend a few days there. This has led me to think about ending my trip at Seattle, and flying back to Philly.
Another stop near Glacier Nat'l Park to consider is Essex, MT to stay at the Izaak Walton Inn. And one can rent a car from there to drive to Glacier Nat'l Park. The Inn is located near the tracks, with a foot bridge over the tracks to their own hiking trails. Good for watching trains while sitting on their porch and eating breakfast in their dining room. Personally, I prefer that to Glacier Park Hotel in East Glacier, although you should definitely stop inside the Glacier Park Hotel just to see the main lobby area with those huge supporting logs. Search in YouTube videos for scenes from Glacier Nat'l and the Izaak Walton Inn to get a better idea of what's there. If you stop in Whitefish, MT, check out the Good Medicine Lodge as a possible place to stay. It is about, I think, a half mile from the Amtrak station. They only have nine rooms, so it may or may not still be available in Sept of 2011. But it is very nice place, with a good breakfast included. And as another poster pointed out, a Hertz rental window is located right in the Whitefish Amtrak station, so picking up a rental vehicle is no problem.

Well my trip is fast approaching and I've got a few logistical/baggage questions for you seasoned train-travelers.

I'm travelling coach... I can rough it for a night from CHI to East Glacier. I'll be checking my larger bag, but brining a carry-on. How does it work once I'm in the train? I'd like to spend most of my time in the lounge car with the big windows (and food!), but I'm not sure if sleeping in there is even an option. Would I be stupid to leave my bag in coach (do they get stowed or locked away, I haven't a clue).

Thanks again, and any tips/tricks/etc for traveling and sleeping coach would be appreciated!

Dan,

No, bags in the coaches aren't in any locked or protected area. They are simply in the overhead racks and/or in the luggage rack on the lower level. So if you have anything of value in the bag, it could potentially be at risk. Clothes and such shouldn't be a problem, but something like an Ipod could easily disapear depending on the time of day.

Many people do tend to look after each other while in coach, which helps a lot. And of course there is the fact that there really is no place for a thief to run to. But still, theft can and has happened.

So any valuables should be with you and not in that bag on the overhead rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back