Planning!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gavin Carden

Well we are planing a trip somewhere by train but are limited by time we are going to fly somewhere on the 29 October and train back to Atlanta but we need to be bback by the second. It must be an overnight trip on a train. What do you think is the best route

In Him,

THANKS

gAVIn

We are flying to somewhere on the second then training back to Atlanta

in Him,

Gavin

I personally would go to the Big Apple. New York is a great city to visit, there's way too much to see and do in a few days, but just the atmosphere of the city is great. I'm really looking forward to my layover in New York next summer when I go up to Massachusetts.

Desiring an overnight train ride back to Atlanta means taking the Crescent south from the Northeast. Depending on your budget, there are lots of options for a quick trip up north. Fly to Boston and stay over, then take Acela or NEC Regional to New York, Philadelphia, or Washington DC and stay over, then hop the Crescent overnight back to Atlanta. Or, for a single destination, fly to New York, Philadelphia, or Washington and stay over then Crescent home. A lot depends on your budget and taste.

If the “we” includes children, then Washington with the air and space museum is a good choice. But the Franklin Institute Science Museum in Philadelphia is not a bad kids spot either. Kids love New York with the noise, crowds, and bustle. The Lion King on Broadway would be a hit.

Just adults? New York is a great choice with more shows, clubs, and museums than you can imagine. Philly and Boston are not bad either at a price tag a little lower than the Apple. You almost can’t go wrong.

From Atlanta, AirTran offers good one-way service and fares to Boston ($79), New York LaGuardia or Newark ($79), Philadelphia ($69), and Washington Reagan ($59). Fares include tax but exclude fees (about $10 each depending on destination). Delta often matches those fares but may limit seating inventory.

The train ride back to Atlanta is an afternoon departure with arrival the next morning. If the price tag permits, get a bedroom on the Crescent for the return trip. The privacy and comfort are well worth the cost and your onboard meals are included. For two, the Deluxe Bedroom is the only reasonable choice. The Standard Bedroom is much cheaper and has two bunks but is better suited for a solo traveler. That room is about the size of the bed alone and the open toilet is, for my taste, taking togetherness to a level I do not wish to attain. The Deluxe has enclosed facilities.

I personally think the Standard room is fine for two people. I've done 3 nights and 8 days in a Standard room with my Mom and it's been fine. Keep in mind I'm 6'3" and she's 5'9" so it's not like we're exactly small people.

Well there is going to be two of us mabey 3 so we might go to New York (great advice) Fly up theire Friday October 29 on airtran ($79) and depart New York November 1st on the crescent in a duluxe bedroom

The train ride is 541.00 for 2, is this a bad price?

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE :D :D :D :D

in him,

Gavin

Well after alot of consederation we are holding are double bedroom on the Canadian, I know this is an amtrak forum but if you have any imput or photos please post. Thanks. Also is there any via rail forums? Seems like a great train and route (Vancover-Toronto). If we like this we will probally be trying amtrak to.

in him,

thanks,

Gavin

The canadian is one of the premire trains on the North American continent. It carries 6 or more sleeper cars at peak season. Today it is mostly occupied by tourists, but is still supposed to be one of the best rail trips.

one thing that I am worried about is the lak of a couch in the double bedrooms now for someone with a back problem is there anywhere he could rest without pulling the bed out

Thanks

JESUSrocks said:
Well after alot of consederation we are holding are double bedroom on the Canadian, I know this is an amtrak forum but if you have any imput or photos please post. Thanks. Also is there any via rail forums? Seems like a great train and route (Vancover-Toronto). If we like this we will probally be trying amtrak to.
in him,

thanks,

Gavin
Make sure that you check out Steve's report on the Canadian, that he just posted in our trip reports forum within the last few days.

Steve may even be able to answer your question about the bedroom, when he checks in next. If the Candian's sleepers are anything like the Heritage sleepers that Amtrak had, and I think that they are, then there will be a couch in the deluxe room.

I did the virtual tour thing and it was just too chair so we shall se. I called via rail there are no rooms left in the park car but we are in the car preceding it.

Back