Playing poker with strangers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Hello all. Thanks to all who are so helpful on AU. Have you ever seen or participated in playing poker in the lounge car? I'm thinking about bringing some cards and poker chips on my upcoming trip and hoping to get a few games going. We can keep the cash out of sight. Strictly low-stakes, maybe 25 and 50 cent anties. Does the crew tolerate this?

Hello all. Thanks to all who are so helpful on AU. Have you ever seen or participated in playing poker in the lounge car? I'm thinking about bringing some cards and poker chips on my upcoming trip and hoping to get a few games going. We can keep the cash out of sight. Strictly low-stakes, maybe 25 and 50 cent anties. Does the crew tolerate this?

Though I suspect that gambling in any form is ilegal, I believe the crew would probably not pay any attention to it. Though if asked to stop, then stop. No need having a hassle. If you all are quiet, then there would be no problems IMHO. Where I teach (urban school setting) playing cards in my mind is usually associated with gambling, loud talking, and profanity. So I am reluctant to deal with it.

Card games on the long distance trains were commonly found in observation/lounge cars during the 1940's and 1950's. They were shown in the Santa Fe SouthWest Chief promotion video on You Tube. I doubt if the onboard crew would object to a friendly low stakes card game so start one and see.

I was on the SWC last year & a few guys were playing poker in the SSL. Apparently they had the money on the table, drinking & cursing loudly. The conductor came very close to kicking them off the train, she was not a happy camper!!! She was even on the intercom laying the law down!!!! Chips would probably work though. :cool:

Have Fun

I have been on many trains where a public card game of some type "breaks out" in the Lounge and have never seen any problems. And as long as the language stays civil and the booze isn't flowing out of control the crew has never minded.

About two years ago I was on the CZ. We boarded in Reno. The conductor made it very clear that there was to be no games of chance of any kind. Several times. So I guess its up to the conductor and how he/she feels about it. Any Amtrak polcy ? :huh:

About two years ago I was on the CZ. We boarded in Reno. The conductor made it very clear that there was to be no games of chance of any kind. Several times. So I guess its up to the conductor and how he/she feels about it. Any Amtrak polcy ? :huh:
I bet that Conductor lost his tail in a card game on a previous trip :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back