Please explain this pricing HFD/NHV-PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
So Amtrak has been doing this thing on the NEC where it prices tickets on Fridays and Sundays higher than on any other day by excluding Saver fares, no matter how far in advance or how full the train is. It's very frustrating because these fares are usually more than double the fares on other days and really pushes out the ridership they need to attract. Idiots.

Anyway, I found this really weird pricing thing. The Hartford Line always messes up connections down the line south or east of New Haven by forcing all segments to be Value fares, since the Value fare is fixed on that route. It's very silly, does this happen on other routes? To get around it you have to book multi-city. However, when booking on a Friday or Sunday, the fare shoots up even more than the Value for both segments. Let's take Philly as an example: $76 HFD-PHL direct on Fridays, but NHV-PHL is $48. That's a $26 difference, but it's only $11 on the Vermonter NHV-HFD and $8 on the Hartford Line. Trips NHV-PHL with a change in New Haven are $149! Even the Acela connections are cheaper at $136! NHV-PHL on Acela is $128 so that makes sense! The rest of the week, through trips are $31 HFD-PHL, Acela transfers are $122, but the Regional transfers are still a whopping $149!! It's ridiculous!

Can I call Amtrak to get them to fix this error? Obviously the system can handle the Acela fare by just adding $8, but the Saver/Value situation really needs to be fixed.

The Hartford Line needs to be unreserved IMO and just make them reserved for holidays. It's incredibly stupid to sell $32 flexible fares when the rate for any train that day (and valid for 60 days if purchased from CTDOT) is $8. They even still sell the Saver fares for $9.50 :mad: I also wish Amtrak could sell commuter rail/regional rail tickets through their reservation system like they do for NJ Transit's Atlantic City Line. The Hartford Line is half run by CTDOT only since Amtrak lost the bid, but it's their line and they run trains also funded by CTDOT. It's kindof confusing, but you can use any ticket on any train except the Vermonter.

Welcome to the world of Amtrak.

You understand the problem, even if it’s hard to follow on your post.

Sad fact in Connecticut all gas station are required to provide free air for your tires. Most times you have to ask the clerk to press the magical button to get that free air from a machine that will take your money if you don’t know what the law is.

I think your frustration is valid, but you need to bring this up with your state elected officials, and or CDOT. Amtrak does weird stuff, and Connecticut also does weird stuff. If you point out the problems it might get fixed. Lot of times it’s just a overwhelming number of things that need to be done, and some details just get away from you.

Sad fact in Connecticut all gas station are required to provide free air for your tires. Most times you have to ask the clerk to press the magical button to get that free air from a machine that will take your money if you don’t know what the law is.
Not sure how this is relevant? I know CT does strange things, especially CTDOT, and so does Amtrak.

Sorry my post was confusing to follow 😅 I was just ranting about the silliness of the situation, especially the Saver fares being unavailable on the NEC Fridays and Sundays no matter what.

Acela transfers are $122, but the Regional transfers are still a whopping $149!! It's ridiculous!

Can I call Amtrak to get them to fix this error? Obviously the system can handle the Acela fare by just adding $8, but the Saver/Value situation really needs to be fixed.

It's kindof confusing, but you can use any ticket on any train except the Vermonter.

As a resident of the Springfield MA area, I've taken the $122 Acela fare a number of times, especially when BC on a regional is $149. What's to fix? It most likely is some kind of marketing methodology to get more people on the Acela. Once they're 'hooked' and Acelas get more full, they'll raise the price. In retailing, the low price Acela BC fares are called 'loss leaders' to entice shoppers into the store hoping they'll buy more profitable items. So, for now, take the cheaper Acela and enjoy the better ride...sans free B/C non-alcoholic beverages. (that's another Amtrak inconsistency).

By the way, Fridays and Sundays are always 'heavy' days as people start and end their vacations then...even if it's only for a weekend. So why not get top dollar? It's the law of supply and demand, especially since there are fewer trains on Sundays.

As for the Vermonter, it is 'bought and paid for' by the State of Vermont. THEY contractually made a deal with CTRail to NOT honor commuter tickets as it could potentially prevent Vermont residents from riding the short train. FWIW, I was on #56 today and noticed that the lead coach got taken off with the power at NHV. And, 'just another day in the circus'...we got routed on to Track #1 at Bridgeport (tracks are 3, 1, 2, 4) instead of #4. We stopped in front of the station, called the dispatcher, and waited for the signals to back up so we could platform on #4. Shortly before we started moving in reverse, an Acela came blasting through on #4 blowing its horn almost incessantly. I'll bet the passengers on the platform were surprised to see a 60-70 MPH train moving through on the platform track vs track 2.

Last edited:
Back