Points Redemption 2 Zone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iPat09

Train Attendant
If I wanted to redeem points for a roomette from Jackson, MS to Seattle using two zones, would I be able to go CONO-CZ-CS? Or would I have to take the more direct route of CONO-EB?

Normally you'll have a choice, both are valid routes since the CONO gets to CHI before the Zephyr leaves and the Zephyr connects in SAC with the Starlight!

Give AGR a call and do a test booking, they usually provide really friendly, professional service!

I've ridden both routes on Points several times, never had a problem.

It might depend on the Passenger Load too, these are Popular trains!

Jim, you've been a lot of help in planning for this trip, so I want to say thank you.

I'm wanting to take this trip in January, so hopefully that'll be far enough in advance. I'll give AGR a call and see what they have to say.

My pleasure, wish I was going with you!

Winter is a great time to ride either Route, the Snow in the Moutains of Colorado, California and Oregon makes for really nice scenery,!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with them. Their answer? Of course you can take the longer route, it'll just add a day. No problem since I want to be on the train! And then once I get in Seattle, I can let my Rail Pass kick in and finish my journey!

Greatly looking forward to this trip as my graduation present to myself. I feel like I have been putting a little planning into it each day.

Right now, I have 5 trip options planned out, and based on prices and other things, I'll get it narrowed down. They are all some combination of CONO, EB, CS, CZ, SC, SL, Crescent, and CL. I know I will be looking for hotels in some cities due to a layover or connecting times too close for comfort. Any hotels you can recommend for Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans, Emeryville, or LA? I'll be looking for something reasonably close to the station. If it's close enough to walk, then all the better. I think I have luggage planned out to keep things as light as possible. But I'm not wanting to spend too much on the hotel, especially since I will only be staying there because I can't be on a train somewhere.

The HI Hostel (former American hotel) in Seattle is within walking distance of King St. station in Seattle. The HI Hostel in Chicago (USA's largest) is on Congress. It is a little too far to walk with luggage.

HI hostels are better than Backpackers and other hostels. There are 3 HI hostels in San Francisco. My favorite in the US is the mansion at 10th & H in Sacramento.

The HI Hostel (former American hotel) in Seattle is within walking distance of King St. station in Seattle. The HI Hostel in Chicago (USA's largest) is on Congress. It is a little too far to walk with luggage.

HI hostels are better than Backpackers and other hostels. There are 3 HI hostels in San Francisco. My favorite in the US is the mansion at 10th & H in Sacramento.
Now you tell this "old" lady. :D Actually, I was fine walking with my bags from the HI to Union Station. It was Sunday morning (2013 Gathering) and I went up to Adam in case I wanted to catch a bus. But wouldn't you know it, I didn't see a bus (again, it was early on a Sunday) until I was just a few blocks from CUS, so I just walked the whole way.

I used the bus to get close the Chicago HI when I arrived at CUS, so that's an option iPat09. Catch a bus on Jackson. I think I got off at ?State? and walked maybe two blocks south then a 1/2 block east.

Tom beat me to it but I totally agree with his mention of the HI Hostels.

The one is Seattle is about 3 blocks from King Stret Station in the International District/ China Town.Nothing fancy but clean, very reasonable and a self serve light Breakfast is included!

I love the one on Congress in CHI and as he said, the Sacramento one is very Special!

In LA the Metro Plaza, across from Union Station has been the choice of Rail travelers for many years and it's only a couple of blocks from Phillipe.

New Orleans has alot of hotels. As long as your not going while Mardi Gras or a special event is going on, especially on weekdays, you can find real deals. One of the travel sites will give you a look, I use Kayak and Then rbitz but there's a million of em.

A special place in New Orleans is the Place d'Armes Hotel behind the Cathedral and Jackson Square. Highly recommended, check it out. ( there is a Street Car from Union Station or you can hopba cab for the standard $10 Fare to the Quarter and Biz District Hotels. They are also walkable but I wouldn't do it @ night!)

Emeryville gas a Hyatt right across from the Amtrak Station but it can be pricey. There are also other chain hotels like the Hilton Garden Inn ( where several of us stayed during last years Gathering) and a Marriot and Sheraton close by but taxis are recommended for these!

You might want to Google up the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento, across from Union Station and by the California Rail Museum, really good place for the money!

And Davis, a really cool college town,is just one stop away from SAC ( 15 min,) via Rail and has reasonable rates and good eating places close to the Beautiful old SP Station.

Oakland Jack London Square is also a consideration. You can ride the Ferry to/from San Francisco from here ,only a couple of blocks from the Amtrak Station. BART also will get you to the City from Oakland.

Just some ideas, there's lots of threads about this on AU and lots of AUers who live in all these cities and/or travel there often so plenty of help here! Hope this helps?

I have been pleasantly surprised at taxi fares in Chicago. The meter usually reads under $8 for a trip to the Homewood Suites, which had an included breakfast every day and evening snacks that sufficed as a meal on Monday through Thursday. There are many other hotels in that part of the world.

On the other hand, I was dismayed at the cost of a cab from the Albany (actually Rensellaer) station to a hotel just across the river. I don't recall the tab, but the memory of being ripped off is clear.

If other people can comment on the fares in other cities, I (and possibly others) would appreciate it.

I have been pleasantly surprised at taxi fares in Chicago. The meter usually reads under $8 for a trip to the Homewood Suites, which had an included breakfast every day and evening snacks that sufficed as a meal on Monday through Thursday. There are many other hotels in that part of the world.
Once, I missed a connection & was put up in the Homewood Suites. I too enjoyed the Hotel & breakfast. I had dinner at Weber's (as in Weber Grills), just a short walk from the hotel!

Amtrak paid for my lodging there one night, too. It was a whole lot better than the presumptuously named "Inn of Chicago" (which was satisfactory in an unimpressive way).

Back