Police End Inquiry into Train/Car Collision

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty heartless myself so this video didn't bother me.. I knew what happened.. If not for the crew having a possibility of seeing it over and over, I'd say make it PSA. Nothing better than the real thing, they hold more weight and kinda reduce the "can't happen to me" attitude, although at that age, nothing may help that.

A little off topic, here is a fake PSA that I could not watch to the end. It's about texting and driving.

I'm with profwebs in that I don't feel much sympathy for the driver of the car. As for the train crew, I'll bet they're glad that everyone gets to see their side of the accident.

Let's look at the video and see what happens and when:

0:02-0:05: engineer blows horn

0:06-0:07: bell rings (may have begun ringing earlier though)

0:08-0:09: engineer blows horn

0:10: engineer blows horn (very short blast)

0:11-0:12: engineer blows horn as train enters crossing and strikes car

0:12-0:13: very loud sound, presumably that of engine striking the car

0:12: it appears broken glass or other debris flies up into windshield

0:21-0:24: a noise gradually gets louder. I don't know if it's the dynamic or air brakes, or both, activating.

Bell continues to ring; I can't tell when it stops ringing

0:53 or 0:54: train stops

2:25-2:26: conductor appears

2:45: video ends (except for credits to the Canton Police Department)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with profwebs in that I don't feel much sympathy for the driver of the car. As for the train crew, I'll bet they're glad that everyone gets to see their side of the accident.

0:21-0:24: a noise gradually gets louder. I don't know if it's the dynamic or air brakes, or both, activating.

The bell begins ringing as soon as the horn is blown. It's automatic. You can ring the bell without blowing the horn, but AFAIK you cannot stop the bell from ringing if you blow the horn.

And air brakes make a wooshing sound, almost like an old steam radiator blowing off steam. They may also make a high pitched squealing sound like you get on your car when your brakes wear down. I could be wrong about that noise being the dynamics kicking in, but that is definately not the air brakes.

The Railroad i work for is no longer giving us extra time off unless we take unpaid days off when i was involved in a incident just outside New Orleans back in Oct 2004 i was given 3 days off paid.

It is a damn shame at how the Railroads are treating crews involved in these incidents i still remember that day like it just happend.

It is all part of a Railroaders job to at least have 1 incident before they leave or retire.

The bell begins ringing as soon as the horn is blown. It's automatic. You can ring the bell without blowing the horn, but AFAIK you cannot stop the bell from ringing if you blow the horn.

And air brakes make a wooshing sound, almost like an old steam radiator blowing off steam. They may also make a high pitched squealing sound like you get on your car when your brakes wear down. I could be wrong about that noise being the dynamics kicking in, but that is definately not the air brakes.
It is called blended breaking set some air and set the dynamics better stopping for Amtrak.

There is a light before the tracks that is also activated when the gates are people beat that light and then get hung up by the next light.

And then this is what happens that is a very close call since it is 2 lanes there they could have turned to the right and they would have been in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back