Poor customer service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Stottler

Let me ask any of you who I can contact at amtrak about the rude station personel at both Kansas City and St. Louis. At kansas City there was a line at the counter with only one agent working with passengers the other agent was talking on the phone joking and flirting with the person on the phone ..so it was not a customer he was talking with. when others in line asked if he could help he said just to wait and the other agent would help them. I watched this person talk for 28 min while I stood in line with 18 other customers. when I got to the counter i asked to speak to a manager and a women named "Stella" asked what my problem was. I told her of the wait time and the agent on the phone .Her response was that I did not know who he was talking to and it was a customer. I asked for her name and position and she said that she was the manager and for me to just calm down or she would call security and have me removed!... I never raised my voice or anything like that , I just wanted to see a manager about poor service.....anyway does anyone have a name of someone at Amtrak other than "Stella" the Manager at Kansas City to speak with?

I would call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). First speak to an agent and have them transfer you to customer service. Tell customer service your story and see what happens from there. Don't expcet any refunds, partial or full.

I had a similar bad experience in Union station last summer. I wrote a letter to Gunn and eventually received a written apology letter and a promise to investigate. The customer relations gave each person in my party a 10 dollar voucher. A small amount considering the level of rudeness.

I would address the letter to David Gunn at the follwing adress.

Washington Union Station

60 Massachusetts Ave., NE

Washington, DC 20002

Steve4031 said:
I would address the letter to David Gunn at the follwing adress.
Washington Union Station

60 Massachusetts Ave., NE

Washington, DC 20002
Take it from me!!!! This is the best route to go right here! Mr. Gunn has a good track record of responding to letters. If there were any good points about your trip/experience, please be sure to share them with him as it will help him on what he be able to do for you. Hopefully, your next experience will be better if you decide to allow Amtrak that oportunity (I think I spelled that right)! :)

I have seen rude employees many times on my many trips. I guess I just don't understand this problem. Here we have a company that is struggling to stay alive year to year. The employees must realize that Amtrak is not the first choice of transportation needs for probably more then 95% of Americans. "Stella" the so called manager would probably be one of the first people to wonder why they lost there job because of low ridership. The average Amtrak employee can't correct many of the misfortunes that happen that may cause passengers to leave Amtrak for other modes of transportation ( like the tardy train problem, or a sleeping car that may have been bad ordered at the last minute). But they do have all the power in the world to treat customers with respect and make there experience with Amtrak better then any airline if they wanted to. Is there something that Amtrak does to there employees that makes them JUST HATE going to work? It's not like your working your but off for minimum wage.

As a former service attendant, and as one who spent 25 subsequent years in consumer sales and marketing.....there is absolutely no excuse for poor customer service. If you can't treat customers with care and respect, you have no business working with the public, and your employer has no business putting you in that position. Ultimately, you get what you ask for............."no business"!!

I agree that Mr. Gunn should be contacted immediately. One way to make sure that your letter gets responded to is to send it by "registered mail", and buy a "return receipt" at the post office. If it's addressed to Gunn, mailed this way, someone in his office has to sign for the letter when received(perhaps, Gunn himself). "Complaining" this way, from a company's point of view, legitimatizes you head and shoulders over the normal "crank" letter, and is far more likely to have some action taken!!

Confronting the "offender" right at that moment is probably not the best course of action, unless your personal safety is in question, or your dignity is being abused. Make sure to pay attention to names on badges, dates of travel, etc....so, that you are concise with your complaint.

Gunn seems to have the reputation of being responsive to customers, so, certainly, I'd let him know!

From the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman53

Foodman53 said:
I agree that Mr. Gunn should be contacted immediately.  One way to make sure that your letter gets responded to is to send it by "registered mail", and buy a "return receipt" at the post office.  If it's addressed to Gunn, mailed this way, someone in his office has to sign for the letter when received(perhaps, Gunn himself).  "Complaining" this way, from a company's point of view, legitimatizes you head and shoulders over the normal "crank" letter, and is far more likely to have some action taken!!
Well, now, let's not get carried away too quickly. I agree that a certified letter causes the letter to get noticed, but I disagree that it is viewed with greater credibility on that basis. The opposite may be the case, as it could cause the reader to wonder a first-time letter over a routine matter required the overkill of a signed receipt.

I routinely write customer service letters. If the letter does not receive a response within thirty days, then I resend it via certified mail, noting that the original received no response. But since almost all mail receives a response, I would say that one should allow for a response via regular channels before resorting to more specialized communication. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back