Pope's visit to Philadelphia and Amtrak's 30th Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak's move (extra trains!) seems completely reasonable. It's SEPTA's actions which are whacked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
A unique opportunity for those planning to be in Philly during the Pope's is to get a bunk bed on board the battleship USS New Jersey, which is permanently moored in the Delaware River. I believe the bunk beds are being offered for $70 per night and include morning and evening mess (aka, meals).
If my Dad were still alive he would be all over that. He always said quote "That USS NJ always made me a lot of money".

Comparing a pope's visit in 1979 to 2015 isn't really a comparison. It's a spectacularly different time in our Country's history. Obviously, I'm sure the feds, state and local officials all worried about terrorism or someone trying to take the life of the pope, but I don't think the repercussions of something bad happening during the pope's visit to Chicago in '79 were thought of having as far reaching consequences as something happening in 2015. Obviously, there would have been consequences, but there may be a feeling of: we can't have another 9-11, or an incident that would generate world wide coverage... driving those in charge of security to be overly cautious.
Or we simply like the 2015 Pope more than we liked the 1979 Pope?

Comparing a pope's visit in 1979 to 2015 isn't really a comparison. It's a spectacularly different time in our Country's history. Obviously, I'm sure the feds, state and local officials all worried about terrorism or someone trying to take the life of the pope, but I don't think the repercussions of something bad happening during the pope's visit to Chicago in '79 were thought of having as far reaching consequences as something happening in 2015. Obviously, there would have been consequences, but there may be a feeling of: we can't have another 9-11, or an incident that would generate world wide coverage... driving those in charge of security to be overly cautious.
It's just © a totally ® DIFFERENT WORLD (pat pend.) since 9/11 .

I have to say that, yes this world is much more changed since 1979. Which is a shame but, it's part of life.

I'm honestly trying to get the heck out of the area that weekend. I swear it's going to be like a prison. We have no clue how things will work at NS.

It is Amtrak crew that operates these trains. Only the equipment is borrowed from NJT, not crew.

If Amtrak happens to use dual mode NJT locos they probably would need a NJT engineer along for operation of the motor.
This makes me curious....do Amtrak crews need to be "qualified", that is, receive training on the operation of non-Amtrak equipment, in advance?

While I suppose experienced crew could quickly learn how to operate doors and other equipment on "foreign" cars, such as double-decker's, etc. I wonder what preparation they may receive.

Operating a dual-mode locomotive is probably a lot more complicated, hence needing a road foreman or engineer qualified on that equipment....

It is a totally different world, back then we had people shooting the Pope (JP2, 1981) or trying to stab him (JP2, 1982).

Today, not so much.

Seems like a bit of overkill for this event, but this is the country that brings us "security" at the hands of the TSA, so what do you expect?

I did have the privilege of attending a Mass said by JP2 at Oriole Park in the early '90s, which was an awesome experience. I'm sure the chance to see Francis is even more exciting to a great many number of people.

"I have to say that, yes this world is much more changed since 1979. Which is a shame but, it's part of life. "

[Fakesneeze]BULL$#!+[/Fakenneeze]

The world is the same as its always been.

The only thing that's changed is risk tolerance, and people obsessed with bubble wrapping life.

If you had been an adult before 9/11/01 you'd understand.

It is Amtrak crew that operates these trains. Only the equipment is borrowed from NJT, not crew.

If Amtrak happens to use dual mode NJT locos they probably would need a NJT engineer along for operation of the motor.
This makes me curious....do Amtrak crews need to be "qualified", that is, receive training on the operation of non-Amtrak equipment, in advance?

While I suppose experienced crew could quickly learn how to operate doors and other equipment on "foreign" cars, such as double-decker's, etc. I wonder what preparation they may receive.

Operating a dual-mode locomotive is probably a lot more complicated, hence needing a road foreman or engineer qualified on that equipment....
They need to be qualified and a vast majority of them already are. However, they are giving the employees involved another refresher class.

"I have to say that, yes this world is much more changed since 1979. Which is a shame but, it's part of life. "

The only thing that's changed is risk tolerance, and people obsessed with bubble wrapping life.

0b82211c22ab8a42af6c0947de0dbf2b.jpg

picard_clapping.gif

Actually, the US is a lot SAFER than it was in 1979, by any number of objective measures; street crime is waaaaay down, for example (probably due to the removal of lead from gasoline).

The paranoia and lack of risk tolerance among the "authorities" has been amped way up since 2001, however. It needs to stop.

It is a totally different world, back then we had people shooting the Pope (JP2, 1981) or trying to stab him (JP2, 1982).

Today, not so much.
Exactly.

I can't find this T shirt,,, it has an outline of Geronimo and has text something like "Defending America Since 1492" She Who Must Be Obeyed never liked it,,, I bet it's gone to Goodwill ..

edit

I found the actual shirt

The Original "Homeland Security - Fighting Terrorism since 1492"

The image is of four Native Americans - not Geronimo

its so fun getting old and feeble

Just saw where SEPTA sold 10,000 round trip tickets from/to WIL and Amtrak may add cars/trains for that weekend. Wilmington plans to queue everyone at the park behind the train station and check tickets before allowing people into the station (at least the SEPTA riders.

Don't have a link but it's at DelawareOnline.com

NJT has changed its mind, and instead of cancelling the RiverLine, is now selling a limited amount of tickets for that weekend. My favorite NJT ticket agent (I will not be more specific so this person, who does an excellent job, doesn't get into trouble for saying anything) told me they weren't informed about the change or the procedure for selling the tickets before the information was made public.

I would like to make a snarky comment about NJT, but I tore them apart already today elsewhere when talking about TRE, so have to keep something for another day!

I thought about not bothering to reply to this, because I am sure I will be attacked, but I don't care. For those of you who hate Philly or hate American cities or whatever it is, that's fine.
Nobody has said anything of the sort. I love Philly. I visit it often. I don't understand why the mayor has decided to completely trash Philadelphia for the weekend by shutting down all of its transportation.

My fiancee uses a wheelchair and can't walk long distances. If we wanted to visit Philadelphia that weekend, *we couldn't*. It would be impossible to get around. Because the Mayor & Secret Service are shutting down public transportation, shutting down private car access, and so on.

I will be in Philly to see the Pope during this "fiasco", and it will be a fantastic positive experience,
It'll be horrible for huge numbers of people. Get this through your head: they're making it *impossible for people to get to work*. Everything not Pope-related will be shut down due to lack of workers. They're *shutting down Philadelphia*. The workers you encounter will be miserable and frustrated at having to sleep overnight in cots at their workplaces.
I don't think the Pope wanted this. I don't know how much to blame the Secret Service for this -- (they're idiots, they should be ignored, and they also *can* legally be ignored by the state & local government) -- and I don't know how much to blame the Mayor and SEPTA management for this -- but it's a complete fiasco.

I love Philadelphia. It's a city, not a theme park. Seeing it completely shut down for *four whole days* is kind of horrifying. The Secret Service should not be in the business of shutting down cities.
I have taken the time to write a reply to this, so I hope it will be published and not deleted like earlier today.

In response to your statement that nobody said anything against Philly, here are some examples:

Even by Philly standards, this is totally nuts. My opinion is that Philadelphia will be a very good place to avoid that weekend. There are some who think that is always true. :)

(1) Do not visit Philadelphia during this fiasco.

(2) If you live in, or even near, Philadelphia, this would be a great weekend to take a vacation.

It'll be a disaster!

Philadelphia is either headed for a disaster or will be a laughing stock

You clearly haven't been looking at Septic.com...

In response to your second point, it is completely disrespectful for you to say to me: "Get this through your head." I am not a child.

My goodness, Amtrak is actually increasing service for the papal visit. They must not have gotten the memo from SEPTA and NJ Transit to make it as difficult as possible to use transit services.

I have to say that, yes this world is much more changed since 1979. Which is a shame but, it's part of life.

I'm honestly trying to get the heck out of the area that weekend. I swear it's going to be like a prison. We have no clue how things will work at NS.
personally I'm glad it's not 1979. How would I stay up to date on a things Amtrak without AU?!?! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back