Portable Dvd player

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JESUSrocks

Train Attendant
I just thought of a great way for amtrak to make more coustomers happy. What about if you could rent a portable Dvd player in the lounge and choose from a selction of dvds. Say you give them your credit card number if you break it or take it home with you so they can charge you. This would I think make travelling easier with Children. Please leave your opinions of is this a good or bad Idea

in CHRIST,

Gavin

That sounds like a really good idea. Maybe they could make it to where the DVD players could only be used on board the train... So if someone took them off they would be useless.

This has been considered and inventory and control have been the major issues. There has also been discussion of mounting game cubes, etc on the tables in the lounge for people to play their own games, but that would tend to ahve a table monopolized for too many hours.

There is a company that provices this service at major airports across the country, Maybey the world. It would be easy for this company to open up locations at major Amtrak stations. I think you can rent in one place, and drop off in another.

We have seen it at airports it comes with a ups or fedex bag to ship it back in

in CHRIST,

Gavin

This idea stinks. In 2002 when riding the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento, some trailer park trash boarded in Utah. They must have saved their aluminum beer cans for years, as they could afford a Standard Bedroom across the hall from mine, diagonally one removed.

Forget enjoying the scenery, pleasant conversation, or reading. They had to crank up the volume on their portable DVD player loud enough for the entire car to have to endure the B movie that mesmerized them. Finally the Conductor requested they turn it down or turn it off after the Attendant already had requested they do so.

Every day I ride coach on commuter heavy rail. When I take my vacations I always travel First Class for more quiet and more peace. Renting DVD players to the masses won't work. Of course passengers always can view the movie in the Sightseer Lounge (as I often have done).

The Chief said:
This idea stinks. In 2002 when riding the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento, some trailer park trash boarded in Utah. They must have saved their aluminum beer cans for years, as they could afford a Standard Bedroom across the hall from mine, diagonally one removed.
Forget enjoying the scenery, pleasant conversation, or reading. They had to crank up the volume on their portable DVD player loud enough for the entire car to have to endure the B movie that mesmerized them. Finally the Conductor requested they turn it down or turn it off after the Attendant already had requested they do so.

Every day I ride coach on commuter heavy rail. When I take my vacations I always travel First Class for more quiet and more peace. Renting DVD players to the masses won't work. Of course passengers always can view the movie in the Sightseer Lounge (as I often have done).
How can you be so stereotypical? What difference does it make if the family across the hall from you was “trailer trash” (in the words you put it). I’ve seen passengers of all types use loud voices, blast stereos, or crank up the volume of computers or DVD players.

You showed no evidence on how portable DVD players are bad ideas? Whether it’s a portable device, or one brought from home like you pointed out, there’s always the fact that some passengers may abuse the volume. Now the DVD players one can rent in an airport can only be heard with headphones as to not disturb other passengers.

This is a great idea and it has been done before! :eek:

The Florida Fun Train had a game car with some great video games that I loved to play!! :rolleyes:

It had a small play area for toddlers with tubes, slides, netting and a small space shuttle you crawled thru!

The video games were some of the best! :lol: It had a race car game that had the best graphics and realistic feel. You could link the cars of each pod and race the five pods against each other, with the computer cars involved too!! :lol: You don't know how many times we shook the token machine for free games!! :ph34r:

The FFT also had table games in the other theme cars.

A few problems would be maintenance of the games. The vendors would have to be willing to show up at all hours of the night, at each turning point.

Some games couldn't handle the rough ride. There was a 3-D unit used a harddrive, that showed various short clips and the unit would perfume the air to enhance the scenes. Thank God, it didn't have a scene of a car dumping on the tracks!! The things never worked and had permanent b/o signs!

Also, if you have to remove a game for repair, it can be alot of work!! :( We had to remove the window on the FFT, use jacks to roll and lift to the window and a big forklift from the outside.

I love the idea of game tables in the car. Young and old play video games now and I think this would generate alot of revenue with little maintenance.!!

I think Amtrak should build an amusement car!

Miami Joe B)

I think Amtrak should build an amusement car!
Aloha

Maybe because I am not a game player I don't like this idea. I much prefer meeting people in the lounge and diner. Movies in the evening are ok.

The Chief said:
<snip> some trailer park trash boarded in Utah. They must have saved their aluminum beer cans for years, as they could afford a Standard Bedroom across the hall from mine, diagonally one removed.<snip>
I never appreciated that stereotypical term. I have lived in a "Mobile Home Park" for over 15 years. We have a clubhouse, pool, and paved streets. Most people are middle class. I have never seen any "trailer park trash" here.

Amtrak is launching a huge portable entertainment program financed by a 3rd party. Auto Train first, NE corridor launched shortly before holiday season 2005.

I don't know about portables, you're asking for breakage. With the reclining of the seats and costs, putting a screen in the seat backs would probably not work either. An entertainment car could be beneficial. Basically make a kiddie car like on the Starlight and upstairs have outlets for laptops and maybe have a few game consoles set up in there also. Alot of people have there own stuff, so having outlets would be the cheapest and easiest option and I think every train should have a kiddie car. If you have little ones like me, you know :wacko:

RM1 said:
Amtrak is launching a huge portable entertainment program financed by a 3rd party. Auto Train first, NE corridor launched shortly before holiday season 2005.
Again, there is no source and this is just another rumor. Do you have a source for us on this? This is the third time this rumor has come up. Anthony and AlanB (our forum moderators) have asked that we not respond to these rumors and allow them to lock the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back