Portland, Maine Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Since I will be up there next week, I was wondering what there is to do in the immediate area. Any shopping malls? How far is downtown Portland? Any other adive? I have a 2 hour layover.

Amfleet,

Check out this topic here, started by Bill Haithcoat. About halfway down Superliner Diner, gives you the lay of the land in Portland.

Not a big fan of Denny's, so it looks like I'll just hang out in the station. Does anyone know of the website where I could find the bus schedules to downtown Portland? I also know from doing a search that there is a mall about 3 miles away. Any public transportation to there?

Amfleet,

You could start with this page from the Downeaster website. They have links to transportation services, the Portland visitor's services site, and a little more about the station.

Amfleet, be sure to let us know your impressions of the train, its food, the city, etc. as I will be taking a similar trip in August. Actually, it is possibe I will be meeting with a friend of my sisters and will thus be shown around....but in case that does not work out. I, too, found SD's note, and the link Alan provided to be helpful. I am going to be there longer than you, from 12:15 p.m to 4 p.m.

Are you going business class or coach? You may have already said, but I don't remember. I decided to go business class both ways.

Amfleet said:
Not a big fan of Denny's, so it looks like I'll just hang out in the station. Does anyone know of the website where I could find the bus schedules to downtown Portland? I also know from doing a search that there is a mall about 3 miles away. Any public transportation to there?
I've been to that Denny's. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of course, it was 4:00 AM when I was there. :lol:

seajay

seajay said:
Amfleet said:
I've been to that Denny's. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of course, it was 4:00 AM when I was there. :lol:

seajay
I'm afraid of any Denny's at 4AM :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back