Possible end of Evacuation Fleet?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
I have seen posted at another Internet location that the 24-car Amfleet Hurricane Evacuation fleet that has been in New Orleans since the summer of 2006 is on its way in 3-car segments to Wilmington, behind Train #20 (northbound Crescent). This is presently unconfirmed. I was wondering if anyone can verify this by having observed extra cars on the Crescent, or with ties to someone in the know?

Moving the cars at this time would make sense given that Hurricane Season just ended, although I wonder, if this is true, if they would be returned to NOL next summer? Hopefully we are not getting too complacent since thankfully no serious hurricanes hit the US mainland this year.

I have seen posted at another Internet location that the 24-car Amfleet Hurricane Evacuation fleet that has been in New Orleans since the summer of 2006 is on its way in 3-car segments to Wilmington, behind Train #20 (northbound Crescent). This is presently unconfirmed. I was wondering if anyone can verify this by having observed extra cars on the Crescent, or with ties to someone in the know?
Moving the cars at this time would make sense given that Hurricane Season just ended, although I wonder, if this is true, if they would be returned to NOL next summer? Hopefully we are not getting too complacent since thankfully no serious hurricanes hit the US mainland this year.
Watch the second segment of the video.

That pretty much answers that question. Those Amfleet I's on the bottom had HORRIBLE flat spots.

Thanks.

Wonder if they stop the Crescent right outside the Wilmington Shops to remove the cars, or if they do so at WIL station and then pull them in with a switcher.

Wonder if they stop the Crescent right outside the Wilmington Shops to remove the cars, or if they do so at WIL station and then pull them in with a switcher.
I would figure that they would most likely take the cars off in DC, while doing the change from the diesel engines to the electric motor. No point in stopping along the way to drop off the cars and tying up a mainline. And since the cars are far more likely to be headed to Bear and not Wilmington, dropping them in DC would make more sense too. Wilmington mainly services the electric engines, not cars; Bear handles the single level cars.

Wouldn't it be nice to see every Crescent be that long?
It's a pretty sight, but I'd rather see twice daily service :)

Actually, I might get my wish--there was some talk of a Virginia-supported train between WAS and LYH (where they can turn it on the wye and leave it off the main for the night, unlike CVS); and moreover, there's talk of an independent state-venture Norfolk-Richmond-Lynchburg-Roanoke-Bristol train. Big story in the local paper while I was home for Thanksgiving. Could be all talk, for all I know, but it sure sounds nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, I might get my wish--there was some talk of a Virginia-supported train between WAS and LYH (where they can turn it on the wye and leave it off the main for the night, unlike CVS); and moreover, there's talk of an independent state-venture Norfolk-Richmond-Lynchburg-Roanoke-Bristol train. Big story in the local paper while I was home for Thanksgiving. Could be all talk, for all I know, but it sure sounds nice.
I'd say more frequent is better than longer trains. If you have two trains a day you can spread the load of passengers over whichever one is better for them, so you get a lot more journey opportunities.

We can all wish for what happens to these cars but unless Amtrak get $$$ milions for Xmass their going back in storage.

Amtrak has no money and unless a state is willing to pay approx. $300 000 for each cars overhaul they will sit in Bear De.

there's talk of an independent state-venture Norfolk-Richmond-Lynchburg-Roanoke-Bristol train. Big story in the local paper while I was home for Thanksgiving. Could be all talk, for all I know, but it sure sounds nice.
Go to the Va DOT web site. I think this is not just old news, but a dead issue. www.drpt.state.va.us Look around and you will see the various projects being done or talked about. Last thing I saw on Bristol service was that the projected ridership was so small that it was not worth doing.

there's talk of an independent state-venture Norfolk-Richmond-Lynchburg-Roanoke-Bristol train. Big story in the local paper while I was home for Thanksgiving. Could be all talk, for all I know, but it sure sounds nice.
Go to the Va DOT web site. I think this is not just old news, but a dead issue. www.drpt.state.va.us Look around and you will see the various projects being done or talked about. Last thing I saw on Bristol service was that the projected ridership was so small that it was not worth doing.
VDOT is still touting this, though TDX's website says things are stalled in the Richmond legislature for now. But its most current political information is from 2006, and the prominent cover story on on the State/Local section of Lynchburg's paper (with current developments and quotes from state officials) makes me think it's very not "a dead issue". (Don't have a copy of the article handy, though my parents might; it was from just before Thanksgiving.)

The same article said Amtrak was doing (or was committed to doing in early 2008) a feasibility study on a WAS-LYH train which would have state funding.

VDOT is still touting this, though TDX's website says things are stalled in the Richmond legislature for now. But its most current political information is from 2006, and the prominent cover story on on the State/Local section of Lynchburg's paper (with current developments and quotes from state officials) makes me think it's very not "a dead issue". (Don't have a copy of the article handy, though my parents might; it was from just before Thanksgiving.)

The same article said Amtrak was doing (or was committed to doing in early 2008) a feasibility study on a WAS-LYH train which would have state funding.
At the risk of spinning this topic off into a Virginia-centric focus (admins, feel free to wipe this out or separate it into another topic if you deem it necessary), I think I should probably chime in and give what I believe is an accurate "state of the tracks" right now concerning passenger rail in Central Virginia.

Right now, we have two agencies operating scheduled service in Virginia: Amtrak (Cardinal, Crescent, Regionals, Silvers, Carolinian, etc) and Virginia Railway Express (Commuter trains between DC and Fredericksburg/Manassas). This effectively makes a basic upside-down V shape in the state, with the point of the V centered at Alexandria, VA and the two arms extending down to Petersburg/Newport News and Danville/Clifton Forge, as outlined in this screen grab from Google Earth:

virginiaamtrak.jpg

Now, for about 15 years now (man, I can't believe it's been that long), the TransDominion Express initiative has been pushing for service across much of the central portion of the state, as outlined in this map from their website:

Attractions.jpg

The new passenger trackage on that map is obviously between Bristol and Richmond, and the map is outdated with its stop in Farmville (much to my disappointment, as Hampden-Sydney, my alma mater, is located there) since NS has abandoned the historic High Bridge just west of town.

Now, in the past two years that TDX stretch between Lynchburg and Washington has been quietly ignored by the TDX folks (to put it nicely) in favor of focusing on a Bristol-Lynchburg startup service (primarily because of a Bristol-based Congressman who's been leading the charge). It's my opinion (and just my opinion) that that focus on Bristol-Lynchburg is what may very well doom the service from ever getting started; to put it bluntly, there's just not enough people and money in that area as compared to the Lynchburg-DC corridor (especially between CVS and WAS).

As a result, a new group has spun off to focus on a Charlottesville-DC service, and that group is called CvilleRail, and was the focus of that recent newspaper article. The group is very much in its infancy right now, and is just getting started on lobbying. At least one of the founding members was formerly on the TDX board and went to CvilleRail when it became clear that the TDX was focusing on Bristol and not DC/Richmond.

VRE, meanwhile, has been exploring service expansions along is Manassas line to Gainesville and Culpeper/Charlottesville, and along the Fredericksburg line to Richmond, but again, it's a matter of money and building new yard facilities.

So that's where we stand today in central Virginia: a lot of talk, and absolutely nothing happening.

MISC notes:

-Amtrak, for a long time according to NARP and VARP (Virginia Association of Railway Patrons), has wanted to run a daily Cardinal between CVS and WAS/NYP, but the state hasn't offered any funding. I also believe it would have to be a push-pull operation since Y-ing in CVS seems to be an impossibility. CvilleRail is looking at how to make this happen, but again, I'm not holding my breath.

-Charlottesville/Gordonsville/Mineral/Richmond have been asking for reinstatement of passenger service along that corridor, but those tracks are so deteriotated now that there would need to be some major improvements before that happened (interesting trivia note: the last passenger train to run on that stretch recently was the Auto Train last year when there was a major service interruption along its normal route north of Richmond; it ended up diverging onto that old line to Gordonsville and switched onto the Cardinal route to Orange/Culpeper/Manassas/Alexandria and then reversed back down to Lorton; I wish I could have seen that!).

-Petersburg to Norfolk has also been thrown out there, but again, just talk.

-VARP has posted a nice write-up on what Virginia could look like:

VA_map.gif

Full article here.

-Rafi

I'd say more frequent is better than longer trains. If you have two trains a day you can spread the load of passengers over whichever one is better for them, so you get a lot more journey opportunities.
I think I'd have to agree, although I'm not sure how a second Crescent's times would work out. If they just inverted the AM and PM in the current schedule, 20 would get into WAS at 10:10 PM and NYP at 2 AM, but maybe they would shift it back a few hours or something. Isn't wishful thinking fun? :p

I think I'd have to agree, although I'm not sure how a second Crescent's times would work out. If they just inverted the AM and PM in the current schedule, 20 would get into WAS at 10:10 PM and NYP at 2 AM, but maybe they would shift it back a few hours or something. Isn't wishful thinking fun? :p
Bob, one proposal I once saw (back in the days when Amtrak had some rare things called cash and spare Superliner coaches) was to run a second Crescent section with Superliner equipment, with Washington being the northern terminus. That would take care of that 2 AM New York arrival! But it would have been the converse of the existing run ---- a day train between Washington and Atlanta, and overnight between Atlanta and New Orleans.

Wishful thinking indeed! :)

There was also heavy buzz at one point of converting Silver Service to Superliner equipment with cross-platform connections in DC IIRC. The studies they did on ridership though, did not seem favorable, so as we all know, the project was scrapped.

I would figure that they would most likely take the cars off in DC, while doing the change from the diesel engines to the electric motor. No point in stopping along the way to drop off the cars and tying up a mainline. And since the cars are far more likely to be headed to Bear and not Wilmington, dropping them in DC would make more sense too. Wilmington mainly services the electric engines, not cars; Bear handles the single level cars.
Looks like Alan is right.

Sorry to tangent the thread back towards the orginal topic, but this seemed like the place for this info:

Took a daytrip to Washington yesterday arriving on the Carolinian (which naturally berths on the low level platforms that continue south. When in this section of the station, I tend to read car numbers more often, and sitting on the left, I noticed a train of Amfleets sitting on another track, and noted a 21xxx paired with another 21xxx which I found highly odd. Only after finding yet another 21xxx did I then realize these were cars from the evacuation fleet - I jotted down 5 of the car numbers. There appeared to be nine such cars strung together on the very last track in Union Station.

21137?

Ironically, when we alighted (unfortunately on the other side of the cars), there was another NB train on the other side of the platform that I'm thinking was the Crescent 20 (we had just passed another LD train at New Carrollton that I assumed was the delayed Silver Meteor 98) just getting ready to leave. No evidence of any detached cars though I may have easily missed that action - or I might have had my train IDs switched, instead seeing the Meteor at WAS and the Crescent at NCR.

Looks like Alan is right.

Sorry to tangent the thread back towards the orginal topic, but this seemed like the place for this info:

Took a daytrip to Washington yesterday arriving on the Carolinian (which naturally berths on the low level platforms that continue south. When in this section of the station, I tend to read car numbers more often, and sitting on the left, I noticed a train of Amfleets sitting on another track, and noted a 21xxx paired with another 21xxx which I found highly odd. Only after finding yet another 21xxx did I then realize these were cars from the evacuation fleet - I jotted down 5 of the car numbers. There appeared to be nine such cars strung together on the very last track in Union Station.

21137?

Ironically, when we alighted (unfortunately on the other side of the cars), there was another NB train on the other side of the platform that I'm thinking was the Crescent 20 (we had just passed another LD train at New Carrollton that I assumed was the delayed Silver Meteor 98) just getting ready to leave. No evidence of any detached cars though I may have easily missed that action - or I might have had my train IDs switched, instead seeing the Meteor at WAS and the Crescent at NCR.
They'll probably be moved to Bear when they have the time and crew; another scenario is riding the Cardinal to Beech Grove for upgrading, scrapping or storage. Probably the latter if they go that way. Got a consist on them to see their ultimate destination but all I got was WAS.

Well they do somewhat frequent moves between Wilmington/Bear and DC to swap out engines and cars needing PM/overhaul, so it's probably just a matter of one of those moves coming around.

Well, before my return on #192, we headed up to the birds eye view at the Parking Garage, where I didn't see the cars parked on the track anymore. That's not to say they weren't there, but I couldn't seem to make them out.

Two other interesting notes from the morning part of the trip...

Deadheading Acela breezed through Northbound just before sb #79 came into Baltimore.

#79 had Beech Grove 10001 tacked between the HHP8 and the baggage car. Not sure if it came off in WAS. Got a general train approach photo before I noticed that BG was in the consist that barely shows the arrangement.

As a follow up, I had to head to DC today on #185. While loading at Baltimore, the NB Crescent came into the station (no Amfleet I's attached). After leaving BWI, we passed one regional on the outside track followed within a minute by a "mystery" regional that at first looked like the shortest regional train I'd ever seen running on the center track. Putting all of the visual cues together, it would appear that the "mystery regional" was a 3 car consist on a deadhead move to WIL, quite possibly split in DC from the very Crescent I saw in Baltimore.

Returning, I caught #196, which loaded on track #29. Sure enough, the string of evacuation cars that I recorded on Saturday morning were gone from their spot on that last track in the station, replaced by a CSX Office Car Train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back