Potential Amtrak "Swan Song" advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Aged 70 now, I am thinking of a last visit stateside in September this year, with a view to finishing my visit at the San Diego gathering in early October.
I would like to buy a 10 segment, 30 day coach seat pass for the visit, and am looking for tips or advice on how to get the most train time out of the pass.
I expect to start in Chicago, and end in San Diego.
There are pass restrictions about repeated trips between two cities, but other than that it is a case of trying to find the best options over the whole Amtrak network to make sensible connections, and minimise time off the trains.
(I realise that I will need to spend some nights in hotels, etc, but please let me have your thoughts...)

Which routes have you enjoyed the most so far? Were any of them on unusual schedules that could benefit from another run with more or different daylight areas? Also, have you ever considered taking part in an oral history project? That seems like it might be an enjoyable experience for you and I would imagine many members would be interested in listening.

Last edited:
Aged 70 now, I am thinking of a last visit stateside in September this year, with a view to finishing my visit at the San Diego gathering in early October.
I would like to buy a 10 segment, 30 day coach seat pass for the visit, and am looking for tips or advice on how to get the most train time out of the pass.
There are pass restrictions about repeated trips between two cities, but other than that it is a case of trying to find the best options over the whole Amtrak network to make sensible connections, and minimise time off the trains.
(I realise that I will need to spend some nights in hotels, etc, but please let me have your thoughts...)
Say it isn't so Eddie! You're still just a kid!😉

As Crescent-Zephyr said; consider any routes you haven't yet been on, plus any Towns,Cities or Places that are on your bucket list.

I'd think about taking the (1)CONO to Memphis, spend a night ( it gets there in the morning), then go on to New Orleans(2) for a couple of nights,

Ride the Sunset to San Antonio(3), do a layover, then the Eaglete to Chicago(4), another layover night, then the Empire Builder to Glacier Park (5), either the Builder to Seattle or Portland(6), do a layover there ( I know you like Hostels, all these towns have them,)In Portland I'd suggest you take a trip to the Seaside town of Astoria if you have the time ( it's not cheap to staybut a great place to visit)Then take the Starlught to San Luis Obispo(7), on to Santa Barbara ( 8)another great Seaside City but also pricey, but there is a Hostel there,

That leaves you 2 Segments on your Pass, so on to the LA (9) ( lots to see and do there even if you've been there before )and finally on to San Diego on a Surfliner(10).

My other thought is to head to Glennwood Springs, Colorado on the Zephyr(5) from Chicago after the Memphis/ New Orleans/ San Antonio legs, then on to Salt Lake City(6) ( an interesting place to visit), then to Reno for an overnight (7), on to Emeryville(8), San Luis Obispo(8)to LA(9) and last to San Diego( 10)

All these legs are just one night and broken up with layovers in nice.places.

Hope to see you in California for sure! Jim

Last edited:
I second @crescent-zephyr 's question above. Start with any segments you may have missed in the past or want to return to, then jump into Jim's list above. Breaking up the segments to minimize overnights on the train in coach is a smart plan. You're not going to see anything even if awake, so work with the longest day trips that fit. Target stopovers with accommodation close to stations. (There was a list on here awhile back.)

I'm not far behind you age-wise and have been working on my UK "bucket list" rail trip as well.

I don't know anything about your personal situation and physical condition, but I'm 82 and just completed three quarters of a 21-day circle ttrip before being kicked off in El Paso due to premature termination of the train. Granted, I was in a sleeper, but I did have one daytime coach portion and found it perfectly comfortable. And, sleeping ashore at nights will be eminently more affordable. The one ting I might miss would be taking meals in the diner. but there might be plenty of other means to socialize.

I certainly hope this won't be the last trip for someone who loves Amtrak travel as much as you do.

Sorry for the derail. I myself dont have enough experience to provide meaningful advice but enjoy whatever path you end up taking!

I cant imagine the levels of rage I would have to supress if Amtrak ever strands me out in the middle of no where without a care in the world.
To be fair, Amtrak gave me the option of riding back to NOL with them at no extra cost. But that would have done nothing for me, bound for San Francisco. And Amtrak gave me a 100% refund for the NOL-LAX-SFO fare, which more than covered my El Paso hotel and airfare home.
Sorry for off topic, but what cancelled the train? I'll be on the Sunset soon and well, that could be a problem
Fires further down the line caused the cancellation. They could have gone as far as Tucson, which they first announced they would do, but then they changed their mind and terminated the trip in El Paso.

Fires further down the line caused the cancellation. They could have gone as far as Tucson, which they first announced they would do, but then they changed their mind and terminated the trip in El Paso.
When wad this?

Ed, if you can spend a day or two in Salt Lake City (Zephyr) I would welcome you. My younger brother passed away last October and I have an extra bedroom for you to hang your bush hat on. I have always been an avid reader of your posts and am jealous! I would love to take you to my tavern and meet the boys, and would love to pick your brain about your travels. Sincerely, Jeff

Many thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions.
Which routes have you enjoyed the most so far? Were any of them on unusual schedules that could benefit from another run with more or different daylight areas? Also, have you ever considered taking part in an oral history project? That seems like it might be an enjoyable experience for you and I would imagine many members would be interested in listening.
I am not sure what is meant by doing an "Oral History"? Do you mean my life story, or a report on this current trip idea? Where would it be hosted?
Ed, if you can spend a day or two in Salt Lake City (Zephyr) I would welcome you. My younger brother passed away last October and I have an extra bedroom for you to hang your bush hat on. I have always been an avid reader of your posts and am jealous! I would love to take you to my tavern and meet the boys, and would love to pick your brain about your travels. Sincerely, Jeff
Wow, Jeff, that is an incredibly generous offer. I would love to take you up on it if I do stop over in SLC!
(Picking my brains should only take 5 minutes... ) :D

How many consecutive nights in coach do you think you can stand with nights between trains in large endpoint cities?

Try this one: CHI->NYP or WAS (hotel), NYP/WAS->CHI (tr #51) (hotel), CHI->NOL (hotel), NOL->LAX (optional hotel), LAX->CHI (hotel) CHI->SEA or PDX (hotel), SEA/PDX->LAX (hotel), LAX->SAN. 10 nights on the train.

I am not sure what is meant by doing an "Oral History"? Do you mean my life story, or a report on this current trip idea? Where would it be hosted?
It could be as in-depth as a life story or as simple as an interviewed trip report. Maybe such a thing is uncommon in the UK but hearing you talk about swan songs and knowing your long history of travel it seemed like it might be a good fit. Are you also planning a last trip to India as well?

Ed, I hope you will find that in a year or two more, the travel itch is still there and you still feel "up to it"! I do enjoy hearing about all your adventures.

And if you have 30 days to do 10 segments, how about mixing some short segments to interesting spots (where you'd want to spend a few days) with some longer ones to get across the country. I know you are interested in different cultures and scenery from what you live with all the time - how about Glacier Park, Eugene Oregon and the coast (take a short bus ride from PDX instead of spending a segment), Austin TX (I'm sure Jim AKA Bob Dylan would love to show you around), and yes, Salt Lake City with Jeff (the mountains are spectacular, and the Mormon history sites are fascinating).

If you do decide to get away from the train for a few days in Oregon, here is the Oregon transit directory. If you want specifics, you can PM me.

Last edited:
Hopefully, you'll say hi while in Chicago!

I'm not sure where you've stopped off in travels over the years. Might some smaller cities, along the way, be worthwhile? Or places with unique cultures and notable museums?

I could see a Midwest tour that includes Springfield, IL (Lincoln Presidential Library and historic sites), St. Louis, Kansas City (Negro League Baseball and Blues Museums) being worthwhile. The Alamo and riverwalk in San Antonio.

Have you stopped in Minneapolis/St. Paul? Cleveland? Cincinnatti?

Would any of the cities or towns in New Mexico interest you?

I agree with Jim, Eddie—you’re just a kid!

You’re only a couple years older than me, and I’m still a kid (or act like one sometimes at least😁) and just putting together ideas for my next few trips.😊

And you’ve got way more energy and planning savvy than I do, so hopefully there are many more trips in your future.

It looks like I will miss you this trip—but I hope you’ll come back again and do some east coast travels (I think next year’s Gathering will be in the east, although I’m not sure—I never remember the correct rotation). If you do come to the east coast, I would love to meet you then.

Back