Potentially dangerous collision on the NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly not a good thing, but the news station could have been a bit more balanced on their reporting.

"“There have been multiple railroad incidents throughout the country, and this latest incident once again highlights the need for more safety measures and how unsafe the railroad is,” Callanan said."

I'll still take my chances on Amtrak instead of I95...

Certainly not a good thing, but the news station could have been a bit more balanced on their reporting.

"“There have been multiple railroad incidents throughout the country, and this latest incident once again highlights the need for more safety measures and how unsafe the railroad is,” Callanan said."

I'll still take my chances on Amtrak instead of I95...
I think the Callanan guy has an agenda of his own. And News organizations will take any drudge that anyone is willing to provide. I have seen this in spades even from self proclaimed rail advocates, who have no hesitation in feeding utter nonsense to willing recipients among the Press.

Last edited:
I have never had anything but stellar Amtrak crews in New England — competent and professional. I’m sure whatever they did made the collision much less dangerous than it could have been.

I also can’t see work crews just leaving panels lying around.

Plus, since this stretch is all Amtrak owned, there couldn’t have been miscommunication between two railroads.

I find it interesting that the man they interviewed is a “former” Amtrak conductor. I think there is perhaps more to this story than we will hear and agree with Brian that the reporting could have been more balanced.

I have never had anything but stellar Amtrak crews in New England — competent and professional. I’m sure whatever they did made the collision much less dangerous than it could have been.

I also can’t see work crews just leaving panels lying around.

Plus, since this stretch is all Amtrak owned, there couldn’t have been miscommunication between two railroads.

I find it interesting that the man they interviewed is a “former” Amtrak conductor. I think there is perhaps more to this story than we will hear and agree with Brian that the reporting could have been more balanced.
Just because you can't see something as a possibility does not mean such things do not happen though ;)

Maybe there is, as discussed above, some axe that this guy has to grind. But there was an event of some sort that mangled an Amfleet I Car and delayed a train over two hours. There really is not much in doubt about that.

Miscommunication between two Amtrak employees is not unheard of. Such a miscommunication followed by not following ACSES exception procedures properly caused an Acela slow speed derailment in RI a couple of years back. Then there was the much more consequential crash of a Regional into a piece of track equipment in Pennsylvania leading to fatality. It happens. All that one can do is learn and not repeat.

Last edited:
Back