powered frogs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer1735

Service Attendant
I am using Bachmann EZ style track on my HO gauge layout. Over the past week, I've replaced the standard 18" radius switches and curving with 22" radius curves and #5 switches (22" radius turnout). The previous switches had non-powered (insulated) frogs, however the new switches have powered (non-insulated) frogs. My Athearn locomotive (P-42) runs fine when corssing the frog, but my Bachmann GP-50 and 0-6-0 switcher either hesitate or stall completely when encountering the frog. Initially, everything (except the 0-6-0 ran fine) but now the GP-50 (B-trucks) is stalling, too.

What 'easy' options do I have to remedy this? Could I use clear nail polish to insulate the track? I recall having seen (and discarded) instructions which discussed removing a cover on the bottom of the track and attaching or disconnecting something?

Can anyone help me on this one? Its getting frustrating!

Problem fixed! There is a 'loose lead' on the bottom of the switch which can be attached to a lug on the bottom of the frog, thus powering the frog for certain applications. I made this connection and my trains now glide smoothly across and through the switch.

Back