Practicality of two people in a roomette.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Hey guys, I go to NYC fairly often and ALWAYS try to take the train from Buffalo. My schedule is usually flexible (pleasure travel) so I can leave whenever I want. I used to always try to take the LSL for its better food options, but now would prefer and Empire Service train for its more reliable service. That being said, sometimes I may travel with a companion. I was thinking of doing a roomette the next time I travel to the city. Mainly just for the privacy that a compartment can afford. However, looking at the pics, it looks tight for two adults in a roomette. Sleeping isn't an issue since this is an 8 hour day trip, but it looks like two people would be bangging knees sitting across from each other. I think you might actually be more comfortable in a coach seat.

Also, assuming the price is right, how much more legroom is available in the bedroom vs. the roomette.

Mike S.

I have travelled in the Viewliner Roomette and never felt too cramped (6'1 210lbs.) however, it is tighter than the superliner roomettes for sure. The bedrooms offer room to spare for 2 adults. The couch in the room could easily seat 3 people comfortably and the chair provides decent legroom from the couch.

Honestly if it was me, I would travel in coach unless there was a good deal (under $100) in the sleepers for just a daytime trip. Of course, its always nice to have a reserved room waiting for you, and not having to search for available seat together etc.

I have travelled in the Viewliner Roomette and never felt too cramped (6'1 210lbs.) however, it is tighter than the superliner roomettes for sure. The bedrooms offer room to spare for 2 adults. The couch in the room could easily seat 3 people comfortably and the chair provides decent legroom from the couch.
I can't imagine how the Viewliner roomette would be tighter than the Superliner roomette, when the Viewliner roomette is actually 2 inches longer than the Superliner roomette, 6'8" for the Viewliner vs. 6'6" for the Superliner roomtette. They are both the same width, although the Viewliner wins once again with the extra height and extra windows when compared to a Superliner roomette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I've traveled cross country for three days with two people in a roomette. That IMHO is pushing things a bit and I'd probably never do that again. But 8 hours in a roomette shouldn't be a problem, especially since you'll still be getting at least one, if not two meals that will get you out of the roomette.

Point: it depends on how well you know, how close you are with, and how physically intimate you are willing to be with said companion. Me and my frequently-joined-at-the-hip close girlfriend are perfectly fine two up in a roomette. Two up in a roomette with my sister, whom I do not particularly like, would last about 5 minutes before we wouldn't be two up anymore. But that would cause disposal problems, and probably result in a prison sentence. I imagine everything else falls somewhere in between.

I can't imagine how the Viewliner roomette would be tighter than the Superliner roomette, when the Viewliner roomette is actually 2 inches longer than the Superliner roomette, 6'8" for the Viewliner vs. 6'6" for the Superliner roomtette. They are both the same width, although the Viewliner wins once again with the extra height and extra windows when compared to a Superliner roomette.
Well.. I'm not sure about the actual dimensions but this summer when a friend of mine took a trip involving rides on the Crescent, LSL, followed by the Capitol and a return on the Crescent, we both commented on how much more leg room there was between the two of us on the Capitol. We were in a refurbished superliner sleeper on the Capitol. It very well could be that the room is the same dimensions but the seats stay in a further reclined position on the viewliners, making less room in-between the actual seats.

Are the seats, in fact, any different? I don't think that they are....

Are the seats, in fact, any different? I don't think that they are....
I'm not positive on this, since I've never actually measured them, but I do think that the seat bottoms might be a bit longer in a Viewliner than a Superliner. In fact they probably have to be, since there is an extra 2 inches of length in the room.

I also suspect however that part of the perception of less room between the seats might be because the seats aren't quite as wide in a Viewliner as they are in the Superline. This is of course due to the toilet and the wider console/arm rest where the fans are and the TV screen used to be. This kind of forces you to sit with your knees opposite one another.

On the other hand, one has more to prop one's legs up on with the toilet and afforementioned console.

It could be perception because of the width... I'll have to bring a tape measure next time! It's not a huge difference but there definately appeared to be more leg room in the superliner.

However, I have travelled many times with friends and family in a viewliner roomette and never felt cramped.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I'm going to go ahead an book a roomette between BUF and NYP for my October trip. Its only like 90 dollars extra each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back