Pretty crazy trip coming up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
So, I have a pretty crazy trip coming up in two weeks. It started my family wanting to go to Glacier National Park by train, then I decided to join them, then invited some friends to join me... and it just grew and grew. We ended up with 4 different parties traveling to West Glacier as follows:

Party 1: DEN-EMY-PDX-WGL (this party includes myself)

Party 2: BHM-CVS-CHI-WGL (this party includes my brother)

Party 3: NYP-CHI-WGL (my parents, taking the Cardinal, linking up with party #2 in CVS)

Party 4: NYP-CHI-WGL (a group of friends, taking the LSL, linking up with parties #2 and #3 in CHI)

On the return trip, there are three different parties:

Party 1: WGL-PDX-SAC-DEN

Party 2: WGL-PDX-LAX

Party 3: WGL-PDX

To complicate this even further, one person is only going DEN-EMY-PDX on the outbound, and another person is only going PDX-SAC-DEN on the return. These are people who have some business in Portland, and latched on for a free train ride.

Everyone's itineraries were booked with AGR points (I showed people how to get 30,000 points on Starwood and/or Continental credit cards and transfer them to AGR). There is one exception, though -- parties traveling on the westbound Empire Builder all transfer from sleeper to coach (paid tickets) at Wolf Point (border between AGR zones), because there was widespread agreement that it was better to pay $50 for a daytime coach ride than spend 15,000 extra points on a roomette. Other than the Wolf Point - West Glacier segment, everyone travels in either roomettes or bedrooms.

So since I'm something of master planner of this monstrosity, I am soliciting any tips to make this trip go smoother. The connection that I'm most worried about is Cardinal to Empire Builder in Chicago. The Cardinal has been a pretty poor performer lately, so having a backup plan would probably be a good idea. We built in an extra day hanging out at Glacier before we start backpacking in case any parties get delayed for a day.

Another thing (and this is pretty funny, IMHO), is that there's going to be a mass exodus from sleeper to coach in Wolf Point. I understand that there is a wine tasting thing in the afternoon of the second day -- what are the chances that the group that moved over to coach in Wolf Point will be allowed to participate?

Any tips and suggestions are welcome!

As far as the wine tasting, that is for sleeping car passengers only. I was on the EB last month and that was my experience. The people traveling in sleeper should also realize that their free meals will end at Wolf Point.

Eating together in the diner when you all are in the sleepers should be doable. I traveled as part of a group, and we agreed that the first person contacted by the LSA would try to make a group reservation. This approach has worked pretty consistently. However, I would advise you not consider it a god given right that all members of your be seated together for all meals. I am sure that you are flexible, but members of your group not familiar with train travel should be advised of the idiosyncrasies of train travel and dining car travel.

Last month, only dinner reservations were taken on the EB. If you arrived in the diner much after 7 a.m, you were greeted with a long wait, with your name added to a waiting list. Announcements are supposed to be heard in all cars, but in reality, the PA does not always function in each car. If you are in a car with a failing PA, and are on a wait list, not much will be done for you if you do not hear your name called. If you notice that your car has this issue, notify the attendant in your car, and the dining car crew ahead of time. If there is space, you can wait in the sight seer lounge until your name is called. In summary, pay attention to what is going on with the announcements in your car from the beginning of the trip, and take a proactive approach in you end up on the waiting list.

Lunch reservations were taken on the Coast Starlight, which led to a very civilized dining experience. On the EB, people lined up in both cars that were adjacent to the diner, and then streamed in when the first announcement was made. If you were not one of the first to be seated, your name went on the waiting list. I was extremely displeased with this, and complained to Amtrak. I do not know if any changes will be made by the time you travel.

Another idiosyncrasy related only to the EB is the location of the Portland Sleeping car. It is on the back of the train, and is a several car walk from the diner. Thus if you do not hurry down to line up BEFORE the first call, you will always be on the waiting list for lunch. You can tell if you are in the Portland sleeper if your ticket has car number 2730 for the west bound trip, and car number 2830 for the east bound trip.

I do not know the current practices on the CZ. Dinner reservations will almost certainly be taken, but I do not know about lunch reservations. It depends on the crew.

On your return to through Portland when you transfer from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, be aware that if the Coast Starlight is running very late, you could be transferred to a bus in Chemult Oregon and bussed to Pasco Washington.

This is unlikely because there is tons of padding in the Coast Starlight schedule, but it is something you might want to be aware of.

This sounds like a great trip. A perk of the Portland Sleeper is the 'railfan' window. It is the rear window that looks back down the track. You can get some great photos from this window, and it is a fun place to watch the track disappear into the horizon. Enjoy your trip, and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great Group Trip. If all goes well, you'll be a hero. If all hell breaks loose, well, maybe not!!!
laugh.gif

Good Luck & enjoy!

Tell the TAS that your group is going coach from Wolf Point on-- with all luck the Conductors will move the coach people around so you have an area close together. They typically move coach pax before bed and during wake up so they don't have to constantly bug them all day.

I plan to arrive in West Glacier on Saturday 9/4 (via the Eastbound EB from Seattle). If you are still there, maybe I will run into you.

I plan to arrive in West Glacier on Saturday 9/4 (via the Eastbound EB from Seattle). If you are still there, maybe I will run into you.
Yeah, I noticed that in the "Member Trip" forum. Our group is departing West Glacier Friday evening, 9/3, on a Westbound EB, so if all goes well, we'll pass each other in the night. :)

As far as the wine tasting, that is for sleeping car passengers only. I was on the EB last month and that was my experience. The people traveling in sleeper should also realize that their free meals will end at Wolf Point.

Eating together in the diner when you all are in the sleepers should be doable. I traveled as part of a group, and we agreed that the first person contacted by the LSA would try to make a group reservation. This approach has worked pretty consistently. However, I would advise you not consider it a god given right that all members of your be seated together for all meals. I am sure that you are flexible, but members of your group not familiar with train travel should be advised of the idiosyncrasies of train travel and dining car travel.

Last month, only dinner reservations were taken on the EB. If you arrived in the diner much after 7 a.m, you were greeted with a long wait, with your name added to a waiting list. Announcements are supposed to be heard in all cars, but in reality, the PA does not always function in each car. If you are in a car with a failing PA, and are on a wait list, not much will be done for you if you do not hear your name called. If you notice that your car has this issue, notify the attendant in your car, and the dining car crew ahead of time. If there is space, you can wait in the sight seer lounge until your name is called. In summary, pay attention to what is going on with the announcements in your car from the beginning of the trip, and take a proactive approach in you end up on the waiting list.

Lunch reservations were taken on the Coast Starlight, which led to a very civilized dining experience. On the EB, people lined up in both cars that were adjacent to the diner, and then streamed in when the first announcement was made. If you were not one of the first to be seated, your name went on the waiting list. I was extremely displeased with this, and complained to Amtrak. I do not know if any changes will be made by the time you travel.

Another idiosyncrasy related only to the EB is the location of the Portland Sleeping car. It is on the back of the train, and is a several car walk from the diner. Thus if you do not hurry down to line up BEFORE the first call, you will always be on the waiting list for lunch. You can tell if you are in the Portland sleeper if your ticket has car number 2730 for the west bound trip, and car number 2830 for the east bound trip.

I do not know the current practices on the CZ. Dinner reservations will almost certainly be taken, but I do not know about lunch reservations. It depends on the crew.

On your return to through Portland when you transfer from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, be aware that if the Coast Starlight is running very late, you could be transferred to a bus in Chemult Oregon and bussed to Pasco Washington.

This is unlikely because there is tons of padding in the Coast Starlight schedule, but it is something you might want to be aware of.

This sounds like a great trip. A perk of the Portland Sleeper is the 'railfan' window. It is the rear window that looks back down the track. You can get some great photos from this window, and it is a fun place to watch the track disappear into the horizon. Enjoy your trip, and good luck.
Thank you for all the tips. I understand the wine tasting is for current sleeper passengers only, but I remember from a discussion a while back that it's the SCA who sorts out who belongs at the tasting and who doesn't, and a good tip might tip the scales.

Since most of the group will indeed be in the Portland sleeper, can you elaborate on how the waiting list works? All sleeper passengers get fed eventually, right?

Thank you for all the tips. I understand the wine tasting is for current sleeper passengers only, but I remember from a discussion a while back that it's the SCA who sorts out who belongs at the tasting and who doesn't, and a good tip might tip the scales.

Since most of the group will indeed be in the Portland sleeper, can you elaborate on how the waiting list works? All sleeper passengers get fed eventually, right?
Once the diner fills up, the LSA starts taking names. He calls names over the PA once there is space available in the diner. I make it a point to avoid going through this process, so I can't give more details. I think it would be easier to be seated in a wait list situation if you break up your group. Small groups of two people each would get seated more easily than a group of 8, for example which would require two tables to be open at the same time.

Just being in the sleeper does not guarantee that you would eat breakfast or lunch. You have to make the effort to get to the diner and get on the list before last call. Missing hearing your name called probably causes the LSA to move on to the next group. For dinner, as long as you or somebody in your group makes sure you have a reservation, you will eat. Note that later diner reservations may result in eating later than the assigne time. For example, if you choose to eat at 7:30 p.m., and the crew falls behind schedule, you might eat around 8:00 or 8:15. The later the seating, the more likely you will eat even later. The diner was open to 10 p.m. or later serving dinner a couple of times during the trip. Hope this helps.

Darn, the Cardinal's OTP into Chicago has been really quite awful the last few days:

51 Cardinal To Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI)

Scheduled: 10:05 am Mon Aug 9, 2010

Actual: 2:26 pm Mon Aug 9, 2010

Arrived: 4 hours and 21 minutes late.

51 Cardinal To Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI)

Scheduled: 10:05 am Thu Aug 12, 2010

Actual: (3:54 pm) Thu Aug 12, 2010 (estimated)

Estimated Arrival Time: 5 hours and 49 minutes late.

Anyone know what's going on? Is there any kind of "standard contingency plan" in case of a misconnect in Chicago?

Just did some research and mostly answered my own questions. The last few Cardinals have apparently been hit with equipment and signalling problems. It seems to be pretty standard practice to bus connecting passgengers from IND to CHI in the event of excessive delays: this shaves at least 2 hours off the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back