Price

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We plan to visit Pensacola,Fla. leaving from San Antonio, Texas. This isnt but about 24 hours. I am on Social Security and dont have a lot of money. Can I skip the sleeper?

Having a sleeper is certainly not a requirement for Amtrak overnight travel. Coaches have about 72 seats per bi-level car. On the upper level there are 60 seats and on the lower level 12 seats for passengers with special needs. You will also find 6 restrooms on the lower level. Seats are arranged in a 2-2 configuration, but unlike an airplane or a bus, there is about 2 feet of leg room and the seats are wider. Each seat reclines, has a foot and calf rest, plus a fold down tray table, reading light, and overhead luggage storage. Other passengers around you should not be problem, except for the occasional crying baby or snoring. Good idea to bring some ear plugs. Your welcome to spend time in the Sightseer Lounge car which has a snack bar and comfortable seating that looks out over huge wrap around windows. There is a Dining Car, meals range from $5-7 for breakfast, $7-10 for lunch, and $10-20 for dinner. You can purchase lighter meals and snacks from the lounge for about $2-8. Now if you were to have a sleeper all your meals would be included in the ticket price, plus you get free soft drinks and coffee, a bed at night, private room in the day, and a shower located on the lower-level of the car. However, the sleeper as you know comes at a cost. Hope this helps some what. :)

Just one very, very slight expansion on the the above thoughts. About free soft drinks and coffee. They are available within the sleeper car to sleeping car patrons. And, as noted, meals in the dining car are included in your ticket cost. However---if you go to the lounge car, as a sleeping car passenger, you DO have to pay for any soft drinks and coffee you may wish to purchase THERE.

Actually, if your sleeping car attendant does an adequate job of supplying such, you will not really NEED any soft drinks or coffee from the lounge car, so. perhaps the point is moot.

Besides which, you are completely welcome in the lounge car without any obligation to purchase anything. One of the few spots on earth you are not pressured to buy....just sit there....look out the big picture windows and relax.

There are two different kinds of classes- coach and sleeper. Coach class is the bargain one.

You can bring your own meals, but you only can eat in coach car area.

Riding on a train is a fantastic experience! I rather to take train than airplane if I have plenty of time. Enjoy!

If you ride in coach do you have access to a shower facility?

I am planning a trip from Montgomery Alabama to Minot North Dakota, the difference in price from coach to the lowest level sleeper is 305 vs. 1200.... is it realy worth it?

Well, Coach is bare bones travel, you get your seat, a pillow, and transportation, that's it. Sleeper travel gives you a private room, shower facilities, meals, and transportation. It really depends on your budget, and how you like to travel.

battalion51 said:
Well, Coach is bare bones travel, you get your seat, a pillow, and transportation, that's it. Sleeper travel gives you a private room, shower facilities, meals, and transportation. It really depends on your budget, and how you like to travel.
Whoa there partner...I would not call Amtrak Coach bare bones of travel. It is a notch above Coach on a bus or airplane and a notch below First Class on the airlines. Each Coach seat on Amtrak does have a foot rest, a leg/calf rest, a 30 degree recline, plus there is about 18-22 inches of leg room between you and the seat in front of you.

Agreed, I simply meant it's no frills. While it does have amenities well above other modes of transportation, it's not First Class travel.

Just keep in mind that not having a shower in the coach means that all of your fellow coach travelers have not had showers either. After a two or three day trip, the car won't smell too pleasant. No, the windows don't open, either... :(

I tend to think it might be worth it.....just try it this time....perhaps you would not agree sufficinetly to do it later. But in sleeper you have a much better chance of getting adquate rest, more privacy, ease of stretching, meals in the diner included.....you stand a good chance of being much more relaxed at each end of the journey than you be had you ridden any other way.

thanks, I'm taking a trip next month and will ride the train from Minneapolis to Minot and back and see what I think. But the more research I do, I think that I will probably do the train thing and definitely the sleeper car. :D

USAFLady, from your name I am making an assumption that you possibly are an active member of the military or a veteran. If this is so, I believe Amtrak has a veterans discount. I don't know if that also applies to active military or not it wouldn't hurt to find out. I'm betting somebody here can confirm this.

seajay

seajay said:
USAFLady, from your name I am making an assumption that you possibly are an active member of the military or a veteran. If this is so, I believe Amtrak has a veterans discount. I don't know if that also applies to active military or not it wouldn't hurt to find out. I'm betting somebody here can confirm this.
seajay
The program is open to both past and current members of the military. It does however require a sign up fee of $19.95. Once signed up you receive a 15% discount on the rail fare for your trip. There is no discount however on the price of the bedroom.

AlanB said:
seajay said:
USAFLady, from your name I am making an assumption that you possibly are an active member of the military or a veteran.  If this is so, I believe Amtrak has a veterans discount.  I don't know if that also applies to active military or not it wouldn't hurt to find out.   I'm betting somebody here can confirm this.
seajay
The program is open to both past and current members of the military. It does however require a sign up fee of $19.95. Once signed up you receive a 15% discount on the rail fare for your trip. There is no discount however on the price of the bedroom.
You have to PAY to get a discount? :blink:

Well, I guess that is what I do with my AAA discount, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'll assume (and certainly hope) that this $19.95 fee is a one-time thing and you can use it for as many trips as you want for as long as you want. (Lifetime?)

seajay

seajay said:
I'll assume (and certainly hope) that this $19.95 fee is a one-time thing and you can use it for as many trips as you want for as long as you want. (Lifetime?)
Nope, that's an annual fee. However you can use it as often as you like. It also includes your family.

Finally they also run special sales too, like right now you can book a trip for 50% off provided you travel by October, I think.

Is that "Veteran's Advantage"? If it's like Student Advantage, there are many more places besides Amtrak where one can obtain discounts...

Yes my name does reflect my military association. I am retired. I joined the site last nite, and I do know that it costs $19.95 and there is an annual fee. I am also a member of AAA. I get a better discount going the military route. I'd like to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help answering my questions. I am so looking forward to my first train experience next month on that ride from Minneapolis to Minot and back. I do have some more questions. Has anyone ridden that route? I will be travelling with my granddaughter (she's 5) to Minot, we get in late to Minneapolis, we get there in time to make the train, will riding coach be okay, instead of getting a sleeper for that ride? I probably won't sleep but will the seat in coach be good enough for her? I know she will sleep. Also, if I get up to get to use the "facilities", will she be safe sleeping in her seat, for the 2-3 minutes I'll be gone? My daughter lives in Minot, so if its just the shower issue, that's not a player. Again thanks for all your help. :D

Definitely would be safe to leave your daughter for a few minutes. I often would see younger children walking the train alone, for fun! It's really a rather safe atmosphere.

Thanks... actually its my granddaughter, we are going to Minot to see my daughter, (actually take my granddaughter back to mom) assuming mom gets home from the war when she is supposed to (she's military and currently deployed) and I'd hate like the dickens for my kid to have made it safely thru this just to have something happen to her baby. :)

Well I wouldn't let her walk from car to car by herself and in fact highly recomend that you hold her hand while doing so. However, as long as she understands not to leave her seat while you are not there, she'll be fine. There are many children who travel on the train; in fact Amtrak even has a program for small unattended children.

One other thought, at risk of putting my foot in my mouth, but since you say that you are retired and your traveling with your granddaughter I feel that I should at least mention the following. If you qualify as a senior citizen then you would also get 15% off the price of your ticket. There is no Amtrak plan to join for that discount.

However, unlike the Veteran's program, only you get the discount. The VA program allows you to get discounted tickets for your family. So that can quickly pay for the 20 buck signup fee.

Alan, no offense taken... I am a vet.... (20 years honorably discharged and retired)...Unless you know that AMTRAK considers 42 year olds as seniors, then I have to use my military advantage... the ? again is... will she be safe sleeping if I to put it bluntly.... get up to go potty?

USAFLady said:
Alan, no offense taken... I am a vet.... (20 years honorably discharged and retired)...Unless you know that AMTRAK considers 42 year olds as seniors, then I have to use my military advantage... the ? again is... will she be safe sleeping if I to put it bluntly.... get up to go potty?
Nope, you'll have to use your Veteran's Advantage then and thank you for your 20 years of service. But at least, like I said, you can also get that discount on your granddaughters ticket too. Although you should also keep your eyes open, as Amtrak often runs 1/2 price sales for kids or buy one ticket get the other free, both of which would save you even more than the 15%.

As for her being safe while sleeping, should she be just fine. Just make sure that she knows not to get up and wander around on her own if she does wake up. I've never heard of any problems on Amtrak with a child left unattended for a few minutes. Yes Amtrak prefers not to have small children running through the train unattended, but a child left in the seat for two minutes does not pose a problem.

Also unless it's the middle of the night, you can probably ask one of your neighbors to keep an eye on her. People on trains, unlike planes, actually tend to talk with one another and form traveling friendships. In fact I've heard many stories where someone continued to correspond via email with someone else that they met on the train. Train travel is a completely different animal than plane travel.

USAFLady said:
Thank you for your service as well. Though I may not support some of the US goverments actions, I support all our service women and men and the dangerous tasks they take on day in and day out. The best to you and your family. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back