Priority call handling

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Tlcooper93

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
I know that being Amtrak Select or higher (I just achieved Select) is supposed to grant you priority call handling.
Last night however, I waited 2 1/2 hours on hold to get an agent.

Does this sound normal (honest question)? Perhaps Amtrak is truly overloaded with calls.

Last edited:

Cal

Engineer
It doesn't to me. Longest I've waited to at least speak to an agent is about an hour, give or take. I feel as if your situation is just Amtrak being Amtrak

bratkinson

OBS Chief
I'd surmise that Amtrak has had mass layoffs at the employee-run and/or contractor call centers. When I had Select status about 5-6 years ago, I never waited more than perhaps 10 minutes for a live agent.

Whether it was layoffs to better match passenger counts during the pandemic, or simply Amtrak 'cutting their way to prosperity', we'll never know.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
I know that being Amtrak Select or higher (I just achieved Select) is supposed to grant you priority call handling.
Last night however, I waited 2 1/2 hours on hold to get an agent.

Does this sound normal (honest question)? Perhaps Amtrak is truly overloaded with calls.
Did you call the AGR Priority # or just the Regular 1-800 Amtrak Number?

I've never had to wait more than a few minutes when I called on the Select,Select + #, never have been Select Executive so don't know that #.

Cal

Engineer
Did you call the AGR Priority # or just the Regular 1-800 Amtrak Number?

I've never had to wait more than a few minutes when I called on the Select,Select + #, never have been Select Executive so don't know that #.
Pretty new to AGR, I didn't know this existed.

pennyk

50 year Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I am Select Executive and I always call the special number and most of the time I get through immediately. A few years back, I phoned and was told there would be a 30 minute wait. I hung up and phoned back immediately and got through. (I have no explanation for that).

Tlcooper93

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
I still haven’t received my card in the mail, though it’s been a month and a half.

Is this normal?

• Sad
Reactions: Cal

west point

Engineer
Amtrak is required to hire back a reservations personnel that it laid off when contracting out reservations. Anyone know if it is going to restore the California center ?a

neroden

Engineer
I still haven’t received my card in the mail, though it’s been a month and a half.

Is this normal?
It's taken over two months sometimes. If you reached Select more than two months ago and didn't get your card, then something went wrong.